Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Shearer

• 04-02-2006 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Shearer has just broken Jackie millburns newcastle scoring record by scoring his 201st goal for the magpies. What a player he has been throughout his career.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

yeah he's a legend in fairnes like him or loath him...might be a player manager soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

He has cemented his place as a Newcastle legend.

As if it was in doubt?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

jcoote wrote:
    yeah he's a legend in fairnes like him or loath him...might be a player manager soon :)

I always liked shearer as a player. I was a bit miffed when he snubbed a couple of moves to Man United but on the other hand respected him for going with his heart and turning them down .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

yeah he could have gone anywhere in fairness but showed a bit of loyalty..is that why he didn't retire last year cos he wanted the record..i wonder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya great player, he is a true legend no doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

alan shearer is a legend and well done for breaking the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Hate the way he celebrates when he scores, dont really know why but must say a brilliant achivement and not finished adding to it yet I`am sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Great player for Blackburn. If only we could go back to the days of him and Sutton and the SAS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Shearer is class. Sven should ask him to join Englands squad for the World Cup as cover for Owen and Rooney because his striking options after those two are not good enough for that level.

Henry got his 200th goal for Arsenal today. Congratulations all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

Great player with a great attitude , he should be given the managers job there , at least he'd have a passion for the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

A true legend who has always scored goals , I wouldn't like him as toon manager for a good while though he's too inexperienced for the job(I know he's ruled himself out anyway) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

yes and a bad managerial performance would tarnish his legend status tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

A true servant to the Toon Army!
    Glad he got the 201 in from of the home fans :)
    Now if we can get him to score 10 before the end of the season we could still end up in europe. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Muppet wrote:
    I always liked shearer as a player. I was a bit miffed when he snubbed a couple of moves to Man United but on the other hand respected him for going with his heart and turning them down .

Surely you mean going with his wallet?. Have always liked him as a goalscorer, but dont like the other aspects of him, the ALWAYS leadign with his elbow, whinging when someon else does it, and of course things liek his stamp before the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Legend, and any Prem team would have been happy to sign him (and Bolton still might!).

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Legend, and any Prem team would have been happy to sign him (and Bolton still might!).

Mike.

Only if they dont get Sheringham. :) incidentally, Sheringham is staying at West Ham foor next season too, he'll be turning 41 before the end of next season. Anyone know who the oldest player to play in the PL is?

Stekelly wrote:
    Surely you mean going with his wallet?.

He possibly went with his wallet when he moved from Southampton to Blackburn but his move to Newcastle and the fact he stayed there so long with no silverware to show for it when he was possibly the best strikeer in the would suggest that his love for his boyhood club was certainly a factor.

Stekelly wrote:
    Only if they dont get Sheringham. :) incidentally, Sheringham is staying at West Ham foor next season too, he'll be turning 41 before the end of next season. Anyone know who the oldest player to play in the PL is?

John Burridge was 43 whne he played his last game in goal for Man city in the mid ninties. I don't know who the oldest oufield player was but Gordon strachen played up to his 40th birthday. If teddy plays all next season I think he will probably be the oldest and considering he is a striker that is an amazing feat.

Didn't Stanly Matthews play into his 50's , a different era but still an amazing achievement

The Muppet wrote:
    Didn't Stanly Matthews play into his 50's , a different era but still an amazing achievement

So what your saying is that we'll be enjoying watching Teddy on MOTD tillnearly 2020. Legend. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The Muppet wrote:
    He possibly went with his wallet when he moved from Southampton to Blackburn but his move to Newcastle and the fact he stayed there so long with no silverware to show for it when he was possibly the best strikeer in the would suggest that his love for his boyhood club was certainly a factor.

John Burridge was 43 whne he played his last game in goal for Man city in the mid ninties. I don't know who the oldest oufield player was but Gordon strachen played up to his 40th birthday. If teddy plays all next season I think he will probably be the oldest and considering he is a striker that is an amazing feat.

Teddy will be the first Prem outfield player at 40, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Shearer was one the best strikers the Premiership has ever seen. He had so much going for him, absolute world class. He hasnt got half the credit he deserves, the downfall of Blackburn and Newcastle meant he never really got to shine on the European stage, which is a shame. ALthough he comes off as the type of player that would appreciate beating this record more than playing in Europe.

The only problem I had with him, was he was a dirty fecker! Duncan Ferguson elbows a player and its dirty, Shearer does it and its "clever play"! He got away with so much. I remember him kicking a Leicester player and he got away with it. But even so, its not too long ago, you were allowed be physical, Id much rather that than the fancy boys we have these days.

Legend who has made his mark on millions of people that have gown up with the Premiership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The only problem I had with him, was he was a dirty fecker! Duncan Ferguson elbows a player and its dirty, Shearer does it and its "clever play"! He got away with so much. I remember him kicking a Leicester player and he got away with it. But even so, its not too long ago, you were allowed be physical, Id much rather that than the fancy boys we have these days.

I don't think the two can really be compared in fairness. Ferguson seems to have permanently lost his rag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I know I know, but you get my point, there was always a blind eye turned to Shearer.

Teddy will be the first Prem outfield player at 40, as far as I know.

What age was Strachan when he hung up his boots? He was certainly around the 40 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Congrats to Shearer. Dirty fecker on the pitch but undeniably a great player and legend

(Strachan was 40 when he hung up the boots at Coventy btw. I think he put it down to his banana diet or something.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I agree with what most people are saying. Excellent player who is a tremendous goalscorerer but he has a nasty streak in him. I also despise the fact that the FA let him away with so much because he was Englands main player. That tarnishes his reputation a little in my eyes.

Advertisement