Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-1922 Legislation

Options
  • 04-02-2006 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I am not sure if this is the right place to post etc.

I study Law and we are allowed to take legislation into the exam with us. I am looking to get hold of legislation the post 1922 legislation is easy I can photocopy them in the library, buy them at Government Publications or print from the web. It's the pre-1922 that is making things hard. Government Publications don't sell it, we're not allowed photocopy it from books or print from the web because it would be an infringement of copyright law apparently.

We can photocopy the official replica acts in the library but because some of these acts are so old they're pretty hard to get your hands on. So my question is does anyone know of anywhere that sells these acts?

I said I'd try the UK stationary office but I doubt they'll have some of them because they weren't in force in the UK or were repealed. I really feel that the Irish Government Publications should have to sell all the legislation that is in force surely people have a right to access it?

Anyway in case anyone's interested some of the Legislation I am after is:-

Statute Quia Empores 1290 (18 Edw. 1 cc 1,2)
    Statute of Mortmain 1279 (7 Ewd. 1 St. 2)
    Statute De Donis Conditionalibus 1285 (13 Ewd. 1 c. 1)
    Statute of Frauds (Ireland) 1695 (7 Will. 3 c. 12)
    Statute of Uses (Ireland) 1634 (10 Chas. 1 sess. 2, c. 1)
    Conveyancing Act 1881 (44 & 45 Vict. c. 41)
    Landlord and Tenant (Ireland) Act 1860
    Settled Land Act 1882 (45 & 46 Vict. c. 38)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try to find someone in the Oireachtas, National Library or in the printing office in Westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

How does Trinity not have copies of those Acts? Fundamentals of land law there.
    Anyway I wouldn't bother reading them, the language is usually so arachaic its impossible to read. Just get a text discussing them. Lyall's Land Law or something.

edit: simplest answer is email your land lecturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Thanks, Victor I might try that- Although there must be an eaiser way.

@Snagre Trinity does have copies but all the really old legislation is hard to find. You're right about them being hard to read I have read them on the internet and didn't really understand them but I want them for the exam so that they might trigger my memory or if I get stuck I can flcik though them and see if I am inspired.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Kappar wrote:
    I am not sure if this is the right place to post etc.

I said I'd try the UK stationary office but I doubt they'll have some of them because they weren't in force in the UK or were repealed. I really feel that the Irish Government Publications should have to sell all the legislation that is in force surely people have a right to access it?

I am sure you have locus standi to take a case. :)

Anyway in case anyone's interested some of the Legislation I am after is:-

Statute Quia Empores 1290 (18 Edw. 1 cc 1,2)
    Statute of Mortmain 1279 (7 Ewd. 1 St. 2)
    Statute De Donis Conditionalibus 1285 (13 Ewd. 1 c. 1)
    Statute of Frauds (Ireland) 1695 (7 Will. 3 c. 12)
    Statute of Uses (Ireland) 1634 (10 Chas. 1 sess. 2, c. 1)
    Conveyancing Act 1881 (44 & 45 Vict. c. 41)
    Landlord and Tenant (Ireland) Act 1860
    Settled Land Act 1882 (45 & 46 Vict. c. 38)

http://www.constitution.org/sech/sech_052.txt
    http://www.constitution.org/sech/sech_052.htm
    http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/ed1-mortmain.html
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=4468147&CATLN=6&Highlight=%2CSTATUTE%2COF%2CWESTMINSTER%2CII&accessmethod=0

De donis ia westminster II AFAIK

The later ones should be at:
    http://www.parliament.uk/parliamentary_publications_and_archives/parliamentary_archives/archives___overview_official.cfm

Kappar wrote:
    It's the pre-1922 that is making things hard. Government Publications don't sell it, we're not allowed photocopy it from books or print from the web because it would be an infringement of copyright law apparently.
    Remind me how long copyright lasts. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Victor wrote:
    Remind me how long copyright lasts. :confused:
    He's the lecturer in Intellectual Property law so he might just be being really pedantic. But I think he saying that we can't uses someone else's work at reproducing the Acts because this work would be copyrighted or whatever. As I say he might be just being pedantic. Our other lecturer doesn't seem to mind.

To make matters worse I hunted some of them down in the library and someone wrote on them and underlined things and stuff so I won't be allowed take it into exams because it's written on!!!

Looks like you'll be doing some scanning then. :D Statute of Frauds (Ireland) 1695 is sooooooo out of copyright.

Give the lecturer the scanned copy and [strike]let him[/strike] insist he certify them as acceptable for the exam.

Advertisement