Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Randomly disconnect from the Internet

• 04-02-2006 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I seem to be experiencing intermitant internet connectivity.

I am using a wireless router/modem and assumed it was an issue with that, however I never lose a signal to the router, ie.
    Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
        Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 500, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 131ms, Average = 1ms

It occurs randomly lasting anything from a few seconds to a few minutes and can happen up to five times an hour.

It is quite frustrating when trying to use programs that require constant communication with a server, such as VoIP, gaming, media streaming, IRC.

When it works, it works well, eg. connection to boards web server.
    Ping statistics for 82.195.136.251:
        Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 5 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 181ms, Average = 19ms

I have tried different cables, different modems, different filters.

I have Smart BB and am on the Whitehall exchange

Is this normal and Is there anything I can do to remedy it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I've been experimenting a bit more with it.

I ran a ping to 82.195.136.251 -t

It ran fine for ages until the request timed out. When I was able to view boards again on my browser, the cmd prompt still showed a request timed out message, until I pinged http://www.boards.ie, after which it connected to the IP grand.

I quickly assumed DNS error, until I realised it was in reverse. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Try a wired connection to the modem/router?

[strike]If it's wireless only: Run NetStumbler or similar to check for possible intereference. Change the braodcast channel. [/strike] (Ignore for now)

What encryption is in use?

I tried a wired connection and the intermitance is still present.

I had wep in place but disabled it to check, both result in the same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Would suggest router issue so.. Make/model?

Have you reset it and set up again? (Easiest in the long run;))
    Checked for firmware update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

I have a similar issue with my wireless router, just disconnects every few hours. I have to reset my router every time if occurs, kinda annoying but it only happens maybe 1/2 a day. No idea what causes it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you read any of the threads that are concerned with the problems that people are experiencing since the speed upgrades - it may be a line issue that's causing your problem.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054875406

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have a similar issue with my wireless router, just disconnects every few hours. I have to reset my router every time if occurs, kinda annoying but it only happens maybe 1/2 a day. No idea what causes it :confused:

What make of router is it? Have you tried upgrading the firmware?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yep started experiencing very similar problem to the OP early last week....some days worse than others.

What's odd is that my router (netgear dg834) never actually registers a dropped signal...the light will flash amber to tell me it's negotiating with the ISP server, but in my router's configuration it'll tell me that the WAN has been up for however many hours/days (when it can in fact have disconnected several times in that period).

I've put it down to the 2mb -> 3mb speed jump and the mediocre quality of my line, since I had the same thing happen when the upgrade last march went through (which a firmare upgrade sorted) My SNR and attenuation figures are on the limits of functionality.
    I've tried everything that tech support (BT) suggested last time and it's done nothing.
    Thing is it could go for days without dropping and then drop 5 times in an hour. I don't know if this is partly a contention issue alongside my SNR/atten. issue...
    It f*cks over any active connections I have going (torrents, games web page loading) and makes for a very frustrating time...if it goes on much longer I think I'll have to try and get BT to drop me back to the 2mb service.

If you google this problem you'll notice a lot of people had the exact smae problems in the UK after increases in ADSL speeds...and many have only been able to rectify it by dropping back their speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I replaced my Netgear DG814 ADSL router with a D-LINK DSL-300T modem. I now have rock solid 3Mbps on a crap line. The Netgear suffered disconnects and never synched over 1960kbps. I would hazard a guess that Netgear's ADSL modem is rubbish.

strangly enough I am also using netgear

• Advertisement

tba wrote:
    strangly enough I am also using netgear

heh.

It's like murphy's law over at Wertz's house today....my connection's dropped more times than a hooker's drawers since answering this earlier.
    Going to re-flash the firmware to the latest version (mine is about a yr old now and was a beta version when I loaded it) and see if it gets any more stable, then I'm going to play around with MTU sizes although I'm pretty sure that it's pointless.
    The SNR on my line has been fluctuating between 6 and 0 (!) today and my atten is as crap as ever @ 47db...as blaster99 said, the modem on these aren't great, but I like it for it's wireless range and security features...I'd prefer to loose a Mbit of speed in return for stable connection if it comes to that (and I never thought I'd hear myself say that).

I'll post back my findings later...

I flashed to version 3.01.25

it stalled again and as it did so I checked the line
    ADSL Link  	        Downstream  	Upstream
    Connection Speed 	6357 kbps 	608 kbps
    Line Attenuation 	49 db 	        13 db
    Noise Margin 	        2147483643 db 	16 db

yeah thats right 2.14 BILLION db on the downstream

when it works i get pretty normal numbers
    Connection Speed 	6281 kbps 	608 kbps
    Line Attenuation 	48 db 	        13 db
    Noise Margin 	        2 db 	        16 db

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

tba wrote:

I have exactly the same problem with my Netgear DG834 ! - Noise margin can go bonkers sometimes and I get then it just disconnects. I tried everything to figure out what is causing the noise margin to go crazy. In the end, I replaced all my Eircom ADSL microfilters and it seems to have improved the connection. However I still get a disconnection from time to time but better than all the time. I think the Netgear is having problems handling the recent speed upgrades. I'm considering changing brand to see if the situation improves. I also tried firmware upgrades but to avail of no success :(

where di you get your new filters?

tba wrote:

wtf4re.png

Snap.

The fact that you're operating at double my speeds tells me that my modem is capable of more but the line is f*cking it over...
    I've only one microfilter on the line and it's to the house phone; the cable from the router plugs straight into the wall socket (not through the filter) so I don't think this is the issue...I'd say I'm easily 3.5km from my excahnge as the crow flies...

Im not sure exactly how far I am from the exchange (whitehall) but it cant be more than 3km, whats the max distance they are pegging now?

I was under the impression that the filter was nessessary even without a phone to prevent bleed into the modem line.

noise5ys.jpg

tba wrote:
    where di you get your new filters?

The cheapest filters I could find were in B&Q. 5 EUR each. I still get the dreaded noise problem intermittedly but at least I can use my broadband again. It's worth changing the filters to give it a try.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same problem but using a adsl modem/router other than Netgear? I've got a feeling this issue might have something with the router itself being very sensitve to noise and maybe the new filters is just filtering out the noise better??

Thats the only thing I can think of.

I have the Aolynk router that Smart gave me, but its not wireless, can I use that as a modem then hook it up to the wireless router to transmit to my comp?

Fixed.

Used the Smart provided router and filter as a DHCP assigner and The netgear router as a wireless access switch. Works with absolutly no drop at all.

tba wrote:
    Fixed.

Used the Smart provided router and filter as a DHCP assigner and The netgear router as a wireless access switch. Works with absolutly no drop at all.

Looks like you've confirmed that Netgear routers don't seem to work well with the new upgraded speeds :( Rats...this is gonna bug me until I get a new router. I'm straying away from Netgears this time!

• Advertisement

tba wrote:
    Fixed.

Good to hear.
    Love to be able to do that but the modem BT supplied back in 03 was a f*cking USB one...anyone any idea if I'm entitled to a free upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

That's weird. I had the exact same db readings late last week on my DG834G, but that was accompanied by a really bad quality phone line. A faint hiss, and often severe crackling on the line when talking on the phone. This happened shortly after the recent upgrade, and the line going dead for a day early last week, but seems to be fine now. Immediately following the upgrade I had no issues at all, it only went pear shaped a couple of days later folllowing the dead line incident. Connected to the Terenure exchange using the BT BB Plus 3mb package. Fingers crossed it stays ok! I've probably just jinxed it!

<edit>
    Actually, BT just called to make an appointment for an engineer to call in to test my line. I said it had much improved since I reported the fault, and he said that was because they'd worked on the line outside yesterday. I'll keep an eye on the Netgear in the meantime to be sure it doesn't go b****x up on a good line and let yas know

Well I flashed the firmware last night and all seemed to be right with the world again, until I logged on this evening...two loss of synchs in 30 min.

Out of curiousity I googled the insanely high Db number and it turned up a lot of hits, most of them to C+ coding sites...I think that Db number just might be some sort of code error manifesting itself when the Db level is very low (say between 1 and 0) and that the display is bugged or something.
    According to scientists, Db levels of 220 can be used to bore holes in solid concrete, so I doubt Eircom's equipment is capable of withstanding those levels :v:

Wertz wrote:
    According to scientists, Db levels of 220 can be used to bore holes in solid concrete.

COOL!

The More you Know!

¬_¬

Advertisement