Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car to rent?

Options
  • 04-02-2006 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

My car is currently in with the dealer getting some work done, and won't be back for a couple of weeks. The dealer have agreed to give me €80 per day to rent a car.

I am looking for something sporty. Any suggestions what I could get, and where?

I was thinking about a mini cooper s but have no idea where I could get one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

dunno a micra ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

smarty wrote:
    My car is currently in with the dealer getting some work done, and won't be back for a couple of weeks. The dealer have agreed to give me €80 per day to rent a car.

I am looking for something sporty. Any suggestions what I could get, and where?

I was thinking about a mini cooper s but have no idea where I could get one.

Borrow a car if possible and pocket the €80 a day. :)

Or get busses (what th ehell, get taxi's) and pocket the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

Stekelly wrote:
    Borrow a car if possible and pocket the €80 a day. :)

Good idea, but seeing as they are paying I would try out something a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

probably end up with an astra or primera regardless of whatever you ask for.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I had to use a rental car for the week on 2 different occasions last year when my car was off the road and went through enterprise rent a car (no choice in the rental company in my case though!!), they do show a list on the website of potential cars you can get.

1st time rouind was offered an Astra (not nice I'm afraid!) and 2nd time when I asked for something different, guy said he had a 'fantastic sporty car:rolleyes: ' and gave me a Mazda 3 ....wasnt as bad as the Astra and was I suppose a bit different but horrible to drive on a long journey...I guess my point is for a large rental company I wouldnt expect anything too fancy!!!

• Advertisement

you could always wait till the last day or two and rent a ferrari with all the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

A4 A4 A4 A4 A4 A4. I love A4. Get one witha full quatro bady kit. Ya cant beata four wheel drive car

you might ask for a ferrari, but they may substitute it with something like a Skoda Octavia which, i hear is a bit like a Golf but cheaper and with a bigger boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I rented a Ford Focus for a week, from Fort Motors in Walkinstown about 2 years ago... I was very impressed with it.

It was a very agile car, must've had sports suspension or something.
    Twas a joy to drive....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I once reserved a 1.4-litre from Hertz and, when I got there, they didn't have any. So they rented me an Alfa 156 for the same price. Had a great time in that car.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    you might ask for a ferrari, but they may substitute it with something like a Skoda Octavia which, i hear is a bit like a Golf but cheaper and with a bigger boot

What I meant was to go to a specifc super car rental place. I'm sure hertz dont have a couple of ferraris sitting out the back in case someone asks for one.

don't think €80 would cover it!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

smarty wrote:
    My car is currently in with the dealer getting some work done, and won't be back for a couple of weeks. The dealer have agreed to give me €80 per day to rent a car

Now you are getting me curious :)

What car do you have and why is it going to take a couple of weeks :eek:

Why is the dealer willing to hand over more than a grand for you to hire a car?

My guess is that you bought a brand new dodgy Ford GT, or is it a Ferrari? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

colm_mcm wrote:

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

unkel wrote:
    Now you are getting me curious :)

What car do you have and why is it going to take a couple of weeks :eek:

Why is the dealer willing to hand over more than a grand for you to hire a car?

My guess is that you bought a brand new dodgy Ford GT, or is it a Ferrari? ;)

Its not a GT or a Ferrari. I drive a smart roadster coupe, but they are waiting on a couple of parts to come in from Germany. I had a few problems with the car, and I am now dealing directly with Daimler Chrysler in the UK and they are footing the bill for the rental car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

They're rental cars and you're not even paying the rental. Get a new one every day.

Hire a 1l and try to dissprove the theory that they're slow. When the engine blows (ie day 2), hire a fiat and try to dissprove the theory that they're unreliable. When it falls apart (day 3), hire an SUV and find out what happens when you take it off road. When the suspension fails (day 4) .... etc etc.

colm_mcm wrote:
    don't think €80 would cover it!

I'll try again so. Save the €80 a day for a couple of weeks, then rent a ferrari for a day, possibly 2.

I thought it was fairly easy to understand:
    Stekelly wrote:
    you could always wait till the last day or two and rent a ferrari with all the money.

Advertisement