Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nick Drake

• 04-02-2006 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

Pink moon gonna get ye all.

What's your favourite Nick Drake LP? 18 votes

Five Leaves Left
    0%
    Bryter Layter
    66%
    JJ[Deleted User]ballinasloemeditraitorBeastieboy440HzChuckProphetsham69Ronan101legologicsglen05Ormus 12 votes
    Pink Moon
    33%
    TyrrialnlgbbbblthHarryHoudinijudas101WhiskeyjackCherry Blossom Girl 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

Bryter Layter
    Five leaves left is brilliant, i haven't listen to the other two too much so i can't say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'm a passing fan. My favourite song is probably "Cocaine Blues", though I believe that's a cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've never got around to buying an album but the song "Black Eyed Dog" absolutely slays me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Blue Peter

Black Eyed Dog is some eerie sh1t, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Bryter Layter
    Five Leaves Left for me,

• Advertisement

Bryter Layter
    five leaves left
    best all round album, pink moon is too sparce, and bryter lyter can be a bit OTT at times:v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

Pink Moon; it really gets to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

Pink Moon every time.

There's a new book on Drake out at the moment - link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Bryter Layter
    Has to be 5 leaves left.
    Saturday Sun, Man in a Shed and day is done are 3 of his best songs.
    What a talent and what a waste of a life.
    Have the book ordered from Amazon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Pink Moon
    What do you think of people who never heard of Nick Drake?

Losers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

pink, pink, pink, pink, pink..........pink Mooooon. drake at his weariest, and eeriest.

as for people who haven't heard Nick Drake, surely they're a bit thin on the ground these days? with all the singer-songwriters regularly quoting him as an influence, his profile is a lot higher than even five or ten years ago. Brad Pitt narrated a documentary about him on Radio 2 a while back, adding to the clamour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Who's Nick Drake? Didn't he kill himself cause he couldn't get a record deal or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Pink Moon
    dohboy wrote:
    as for people who haven't heard Nick Drake, surely they're a bit thin on the ground these days?

You'd be surprised.

I work in a building with approximately 20 other people.

Only one of them has heard of Nick Drake. He's the oldest (45) and bought the original Fruit Tree 3xLP box [just FLL, BL and PM] in 1979.

All the people in the 20 - 30 range say who?
    While they continue to read The Sun and Heat magazine. And play Matchbox Twenty / Bonjovi / Westlife on their car stereo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

hmmm... website has been around for yonks but edited to accord with charter, just in case

:v: < time has told me + search engine= teh win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Pink moon is the best album for me and "Black eyed dog " the best song. Way to blue is a great place for someone to introduce him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    All the people in the 20 - 30 range say who?

Sorry,for a moment there i had a exhalted impression of the populous. I guess i just got into him when i was my mid to late teens, and haven't listened to him that much since. he's the kind of artist that you can 'blitz' ie. he only has three albums, all easily available, and not a whole lot of b-sides or rarities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Bryter Layter
    Don't get how ye all think pink moon is his best. Gotta be five leaves left

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Pink Moon and 25 yo. Does this mean i have the musical taste of a 45 year old man? :p Perhaps!

don't have a favourite track just listen to it all generally. Nice and mellow

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Daavid

Hard to decide Pink Moon and Five Leaves Left are both outstanding albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭JJ

Bryter Layter
    I'd go with Five Leaves Left though all three albums are loaded with classic songs. However, there's something 'bout FLL that keeps me coming back for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

My favourite Nick Drake songs are on Bryter Layter (Northern Sky, One of These Things First, Chime of A City Clock) but that album is a little let down by the slightly dodgy instrumental tracks and occasionally jarring arrangements (country rock on Hazey Jane II and coffee table jazz on Poor Boy)... so it's a tie between the other two for me. His fourth album would have been a cracker - witness Blackeyed Dog, Rider on The Wheel and Hanging on a Star. That new biography (by Trevor Dann) is meant to be pretty good, very well researched apparently, although the author does try and stir up some controversy by suggesting that Drake may have been a heroin user, secretly gay or abused as a child.. all of which are refuted by people who knew him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Bryter Layter
    Tough choice, but Fives Leaves Left pips it for me.

Advertisement