Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how is this done?

Options
  • 04-02-2006 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

how is the drop down list at the top of every page done on boards ? :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Javascript

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

http://www.milonic.com/

That's the script menu system that boards.ie uses. There's a crontabbed script which runs every 24 hours to refresh for new fora.

I expect the addition of the check for new posts to the menu is a great contributor to boards.ie's major slowdown a few months back. Great feature, but I'd say it's fairly taxing on the servers seeing as it's all on-the-fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 extra_mints

ok, i know nothing about javascript, can dream weaver do that, if not what program can?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

ok, i know nothing about javascript, can dream weaver do that, if not what program can?

if you wish to implement this on a forum you will need to have some basic knowledge of how javascript works, some intermediate knowlege of a language like PHP, and maybe some knowlege of command line server interface.

If you just want a static menu system, you should be able to do it with little fuss using milonics software.

Alternatively, Macromedia Fireworks has (had?) a tool for building menu systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 extra_mints

thanks cult, i'll have a mess around with the milonics software on my vB forum... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

CuLT wrote:
    I expect the addition of the check for new posts to the menu is a great contributor to boards.ie's major slowdown a few months back
    It was a year or so ago after it was introduced. iirc every dropdown was refreshed for new posts in every forum and it arsed the server up. Hence many people subscribed to every forum to avail of the stars for new posts. Not sure if this is still happening.

Advertisement