Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Configuring UCD Connect in thunderbird

Options
  • 04-02-2006 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

I am having a bit of bother configuring my UCD Connect account to thunderbird email client for a project .

I was just wondering if anyone here had this problem before.

Incoming :imap.ucd.ie

Outgoing :mail.ucd.ie

It does set up but I just get some message from a mail administrator telling me I have successfully configured and that they will notify me when the changeover takes place (I am assuming the changeover referred to is from the @student.ucd.ie account to the @ucdconnect.ie accounts and this happened at the start of the year)

Anyone able to shed some light on this??

I am posting in Comp & Tech before you suggest that!!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

it's a very odd setup indeed:

you have an account on imap.ucd.ie which handles @ucd.ie and @ucdconnect.ie email addresses alright, but it seems that if you're a student (i.e. with a ucdconnect.ie) email address that UCD Connect immediately sees the mail and removes it so you can't use thunderbird/outlook or whatever. a simpler option is to go into ucd connnect and forward the mail to an account that you can collect using pop/imap.

idiots in computer services. why didn't they do a simple IMAP job and stick the UCD connect client on top of it instead of this mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bazcaz

The guy I talked to in computer services said that ucdconnect doesnt support thunderbird so I tried setting it up on my old @student.ucd.ie email which is still active however all I could access after setting that up was my trash and not the inbox :confused: Even when I right click on the account and click properties it shows that I am using x% of my quota for the account so I have no idea what the problem is.

i don't think the old email system is really working at all.

what i don't get is why they're bothering to have us all with an IMAP box if UCDConnect just cleans it out like an old-style client. Sounds like it was badly thought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Solution here.

And UCD Connect doesn't remove mail from imap server. You sure you got that right? UCD Connect just provides an interface to the server.

a ha, i'll try that. for some reason we've all got an account on the staff one too. cheers irlrobins - amazing they didn't put the intstructions on the web page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

imap.ucd.ie=staffmail.ucd.ie.

I noticed that if I login into studentmail.ucd.ie (via web) it will redirect me to staffmail.ucd.ie. And the reverse should happen for you, if you login to staff it should redirect to studentmail. But for some reason it won't. So even though u can login in to either server, students are not redirected if they use the staff server by accident.

Hope that makes sense!!!

Advertisement