Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragonforce!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yes but who said cheese is always bad. tbh I need something that lighthearted after protracted sessions of a more aggressive and "serious" metal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Agreed, also, teh ****ers can play! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Admittedly I only have their latest release so I can't really comment too much. But the vocals and the riffs are just so childish. Sure enough they can play fast and the solos are nice and melodic but there's nothing original about this genre of music, nothing inspiring, emotive or aggressive. Their sound is all over the place, trying to be fun and thrashy in places, and then coming in with the mysterious keyboards to "darken" the music. Oooooh evil. But wait, what's that on the horizon, epic operatic vocals?
    On the wings of eagles flying staring on to the sun
    Reaching for the gold horizon when the war shall be won...
    In the land of a thousand souls we will carry on through the rain
    In the sun we will move along with the memories of the slain

In fact I'd nearly go as far as to say the riffs are too fast, sounding as if they put the stuff down on tape and then just turned up the tempo. It reminds me of those old James Bond films, where they wanted to make the stunt car look as if it was doing 200mph but in reality was going pretty slowly. It just looked really stupid and tacky. But don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning whether or not they can play fast, undoubtedly they can. But in the words of Thomas Jefferson: “I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us that the less we use our power the greater it will be.”

Heh, no they actually play that fast, just check out some of the videos on their site. Thats their "original" feature as far as I'm concerned, feck all power metal that I've heard is played at that speed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

JoeyD wrote:
    Admittedly I only have their latest release so I can't really comment too much. But the vocals and the riffs are just so childish. Sure enough they can play fast and the solos are nice and melodic but there's nothing original about this genre of music, nothing inspiring, emotive or aggressive. Their sound is all over the place, trying to be fun and thrashy in places, and then coming in with the mysterious keyboards to "darken" the music. Oooooh evil. But wait, what's that on the horizon, epic operatic vocals?
    the new album sucks, buy one of the others. tho by the sounds of it, you wont like them anyway. not all music has to have a point beyond fun you know. lighten up, you'll give yourself hemorroids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

Dragonforce must be the worst band i have ever had the misfortune to listen to. The singer tries all the high notes, sounds awful but leaves in on the record anyway. the drummer seams to have an on-off switch ie no variation. As for the guitarists Riffs=Slush, Solos=No SLow to complement the fast. Just pure rubbish

you're an idiot, arent you? the point in their music is to push the boundaries of speed, so hate them if you want, but dont make a stupid comment about not having any slow parts, when the point of the music is not to. thats like listening to SunnO))) and complaining that their songs never climax

I wonder have you actually heard the albums? The singer CAN hit those high notes, the druming sounds great, the riffs are far from slush and there are slow solos on their SLOWER songs. Throwing in a "slow" solo on most of their material would be pointless. If you you want to hear "slow" one try listening to Trail Of Broken Hearts from their latest album, it isnt their best song by a mile but it certainly nullifies you argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Arucard wrote:
    you're an idiot, arent you?

Leave it out, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 /)rakai

The older Dragonforce albums (Valley of the Damned and Sonic Firestorm) were better imho... I found Inhuman Rampage to be very samey. A little disappointing.
    I'd still love to see them live though.

Agreed. Dragonforce were something I started listening to back when they had no albums out, and could only be heard on mp3.com where they were topping their charts of metal. They have grown to become my favourite band, they're a cheesy, no holds barred, pisstake, fun loving bunch, and I've only gotten to see them live last year, and I'll be there again this year.
    Inhuman Rampage is their worst album, it's not BAD, but Valley and Sonic both piss all over it, the demo version of Valley remains their best album.
    It's very saddening to see a bunch of little Metal Hammer gob****es claiming that "They love dragonforce" and that "They are so kewl like".

Very sad about Adrian(bassist) though, he was the most metal member of that band, live he was a class performer, Vadim comes close though, and the twin axe attack of Sam and Herman has to be seen to be believed.
    Goddamn it though, the Europeans get EDGUY headlining, ****ING EDGUY!!! I'd love to see them live, we'll probably get that pile of **** Dublin band, Humanzee.

• Advertisement

Well just back from the gig and I must say it was absolutly fantastic. Everything about it was great. They sounded fantastic, their onstage banter was really funny, they got the crowd going really well and they played most/all of their best songs.

Also regarding the cheese issue. Well tonight really sumed it up. They palyed Trail Of Broken Hearts and before hand Herman goes "For a little bit more cheese ZP is going to wear his cowboy hat" and sure enough he donned it for the song. It was just funny as hell. Its nice to see a band that doesnt really take itself seriously yet can have everyone in the audience in awe of their talent. :D

Only downside is that they said they were going to be drinking in Fibbers afterwards and they never turned up...:(

Well just back from the gig and I must say it was absolutly fantastic. Everything about it was great. They sounded fantastic, their onstage banter was really funny, they got the crowd going really well and they played most/all of their best songs.

Also regarding the cheese issue. Well tonight really sumed it up. They palyed Trail Of Broken Hearts and before hand Herman goes "For a little bit more cheese ZP is going to wear his cowboy hat" and sure enough he donned it for the song. It was just funny as hell. Its nice to see a band that doesnt really take itself seriously yet can have everyone in the audience in awe of their talent. :D

Only downside is that they said they were going to be drinking in Fibbers afterwards and they never turned up...:(

You're going to hate me :D.
    They didn't turn up because it was to get 90% of fans away so the people with VIP passes could get down to meet up with them, they DID plan to go afterwards, but weren't allowed to by the manager of the band :(.
    I got to see Sam Totmans cock though, which is always a plus, got to talk to all the guys and have a few beers with Dave.
    Amazing gig, supporting band (Triggerman) werrne't too bad either.
    ****ing security though! I got dragged out TWICE for starting pits!

**** YOU! I DO HATE YOU! :p
    seriously tho, MY GOD. i saw them last year, came out telling everyone that they had never seen a show like it, so more of my mates came this year, and even one who said she didnt like them came out LOVING them. a bold statement, maybe, but id rate them as the best live act in the world. they have everything, and the chemistry onstage is just class. also, Vadim is a LUNATIC :D
    and Fred is cool, even if he is french! :p

Black Fire was amazing, lookin forward to it all night, and i knew they'd finish with Valley, and the triangle, and all was good. BUT, my personal highlight of the night, (apart from seeing ZP smackin the cymbals and hit one just as Dave did - he reeled back holdin his hand, funny ****) was that this time, they played Heart of a Dragon. teeheehee!! i blame that song in particular for my not having a voice today :D:D

also, BEST - INTRO - EVER. THE ***** CAME ON TO RAINING BLOOD!! i had been wonderin what 3:26 was for.

gig of the year. again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

Arucarda: "bold statement, maybe, but id rate them as the best live act in the world."

dont realy know about that but sertinly the best gig ive ever seen.. pitty about the sercuity .. one said that me and my friends could go down stairs but then when back on his world and we were stuck up top.. didnt matter though.. great band great gig.. and i want to see them again !! :)

Best live act? Sorry, but no Rammstein and Prodigy pwn them, unfortunately.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

great gig, good fun. the playing guitar with the shoe was awful funny. and the sitting down shouting at the short **** :D christ it was funny..well impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Was supposed to get free tickets but didn't and to top it I was working and a couple of mates went into town walking by the Ambassador and who's standing outside. DRAGONFORCE:eek: So annoyed.

/)rakai wrote:
    You're going to hate me :D.
    They didn't turn up because it was to get 90% of fans away so the people with VIP passes could get down to meet up with them, they DID plan to go afterwards, but weren't allowed to by the manager of the band :(.
    Yea I had heard something like that, they were only "ready to leave" at nearly a quarter to 12 but we assumed that by then they'd either be completly knackered or way to drunk to go anywhere so we gave up and concenrated on getting hammered.

Yea security were unbelievable, hell there were more pits at Avenged Sevenfold than there were at that. There were these three guys in front of us for awhile that were doing a wee headbanging circle and two of them got kicked out for it, wtf like? The no pits thing was also pretty ****in stupid too.

But yea overall, best gig of the month so far. Tiggerman on the other hand. ugh, every song they sang sounded exactly the same. The singer/guitarist played the same couple of chords for every song and the other guitarist could hardly be heard except for when he used his wah really. Not my cup of tea thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Yea security were unbelievable, hell there were more pits at Avenged Sevenfold than there were at that. There were these three guys in front of us for awhile that were doing a wee headbanging circle and two of them got kicked out for it, wtf like? The no pits thing was also pretty ****in stupid too.

The company is called Sword Security. I used to work for them but left after while because they were never paying on time etc. Theyre a pretty **** crowd alright cause some of them are just bastards.

I got roughed up by some of them the 2nd time they dragged me out for starting a pit (decked some emo kid, hit him a bit too hard :P), and he grabns me by the shoulders, lifts me up and bangs me against the wall and says "Cut this **** out, there's moshing and there's ****ing moshing, so don't make me throw you on your ass outside the door" (Or soemthing to that effect, can't remember exact words).
    They seemed like ****ing criminals tbh.

• Advertisement

Hrm, was it a different security company than the last few weeks or something? What I don't get is that I didn't see any of that at either Trivium or Avenged yet from the second song of Triggerman they were at the front pulling people out and breaking up mosh pits. When we went in we asked about getting beer upstairs and the female security guard goes "Nah there was meant to be but the place is full of young ones so we couldn't". Maybe thats why they thought they needed to be tougher of something. That said the average height at Avenged was far lower than at Dragonforce...:rolleyes:

Well, Avenged are a bunch of pussies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 t00m

Best gig of the year so far...have see what In Flames are like!

Again pity no Fibbers drinking though :/

/)rakai wrote:
    Well, Avenged are a bunch of pussies.
    Hah, I wouldnt want to say that to M. Shadows, that dude is a ****in beast! :D

In Flames are going to be class, lets just hope security arent a bunch of assholes again though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

they're still nothing but guitar **** and the whole super speed playing thing been done befroe, steve vai, satrani, malmsteen, the 3 amigos of speed,

And? Those guys are instrumentalists for the most part hence how can you compare them to a Power Metal band like Dragonforce? Them playing fast isnt the only reason most people like them, personally just think their whole sound is great and then add to the fact the songs always put me in a good mood and you've got a winner in my books. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

coming to think of it maybe the security was kinda right... in the most part there every one was 17++ and could deal with the whole heavy moshing but i did see some tiny.. ( i was upstairs :( ) and i mean tiny little emo kid .. couldnt even be 14 id say in the middle of the so called mosh pit.. this kid look liked if the wind blow he would fall over.. if it was a proper mosh it like at download i think the little ppl would be dead by the first 5 min of DF.

i was acualy expecting the gig to be 18s as that what it said when the tickets were released on tickmaster. the gig should have been at least if anything 16+ but still a great gig

after all that ranting to sum up :blame the little ppls

Hah, that was probably that little dude with the Slayer tshirt. He was at Trivium and Avenged Sevenfold too. :p As I said though I thought the crowd was far smaller at A7X hence I was confused at security's reaction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlackSabbath

dragonforce are terrible. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlackSabbath

And? Those guys are instrumentalists for the most part hence how can you compare them to a Power Metal band like Dragonforce? Them playing fast isnt the only reason most people like them, personally just think their whole sound is great and then add to the fact the songs always put me in a good mood and you've got a winner in my books. :D

i think people like them for the sole fact that they think playing fast=talent. style over substance thing. there is nothing remotely good in their songs. i feel nothing. now maybe if i were 5, maybe i would like them.

Advertisement