Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

were to fish for pike in co. caven

Options
  • 05-02-2006 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi,
    as i am new here i would like to introduce myself as a dutch pike fisherman who would like to fish for pike in co. caven. i've been there once at a place called ballyconnel. we've fished on caradise lake and dary cassan, we've caught some pike nothing real big, but enough as your irish pike is a few times stronger than our dutch ones. this was in 2004, now we'd like to try an other lake and we thought that lough ramor would be nice to troll for pike. as we are used to shallow waters overhere, and the fact that there are 32 islands in the lake makes it even nicer. now is my question, would this be a nice lake as we don't want to find a lake emptied by eastern european people.
    which is overhere for pike no problem but zander or pike-perch is a well known income for some "fisherman", i hope that some one has a nice idea what we can find out there or maybe someone has an even better idea for our catch and release pike fishin holiday.
    we are open for any suggestion, as we want to make this a succesfull trip.
    thanks for any help,

nollie,

purmerend,holland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Just an idea but if you were thinking of spoiling yourself you could have a look here....

http://www.castleleslie.com/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

HI ALL-
    YOU SHOULD TRY COOTEHILL IN COUNT CAVAN.ITS ON THE BORDER WITH MONAGHAN.GIVE C.J. A SHOUT IN HIS TACKLE SHOP OR B&B AND HE WILL PUT YOU RIGHT ABOUT ANY RIVERS OR LAKES THAT ARE FISHING WELL...MIGHT SEE YOU ON THE BANK!!!!!!muincav..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nollie747

thanks for the help, so lough ramor ain't a good idea, is that what your sayin. as i like the looks of cootehill, which lake would a good one, or are there many goodones, we'll be only staying for 7 nights,
    thanks for the help

nollie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Lough sheelin is very good for pike. It's probably the most famous angling lake in Cavan as it was/is? ranked as one of the best trout fishing lakes in Europe. Don't worry though, there's just as many pike as there is trout in it. It's also one of the biggest in Cavan and very scenic with lots of islands like lough ramor. Don't know how big the dutch pike are but 20lb+ specimens aren't uncommon for lough sheelin, and occasionally you'd hear of 30lb+ pike being caught.

hi all
    i cant argue with muckwarrior, SHEELIN is a great lake but like RAMOR you will have to get to know it first because it is quite big...but then again, in CAVAN you are spoilt for choice no matter where you go in the county.

just stick a pin in the map and start there!!!i hope you enjoy yourself where ever you decide to fish....good luck for now..:p

• Advertisement

thanks for the help, as i was callin my friends one of them asked if it big enough for three boats and 6 days long of pike fishin, ramor that is. and is it really difficult to catch some pike there , we know what were doing but don't know what to expect out there??

hi all
    no, it shouldnt be too difficult to catch pike in ramor or sheelin, you might try trolling as your moving from one place to another..when we fish the lakes around Cootehill we usually try as many method as possible for the first few hours to see which is best, and then you also need the best of IRISH LUCK.
    A lot of people here are going by the phases of the moon and having good results but also keeping the locations secret because we are having a problem with eastern europeans taking fish home to eat them..if this continues there wont be any fish left.
    hope you catch some big fish, and enjoy the craic!!!!!!!

thanks everybody,

we´ve booked and we´ll be fishin on ramor this may, thanks for some usefull info ,

thight lines

nollie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Some mates of mine fish for pike on Ramor a good bit. Never asked them how good it is but it mustn't be bad if they keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Anybody recommend Annaghieren Lough for fishing? Anyone been fishing there?

I'm buying a small house on the lough there shortly and I'm hoping to spend most weekends fishing up there. I've seen a few anglers on the shore any time I've been up there but never approached them. Only thing I could find on the net was an angling club from the UK have been over for a comptetition before and have caught a good few pike, many in double figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 bzpc26

I am from Cavan and an Angler. We had a hotel and I used to advise foreign anglers where to go. Lough Ramor is excellant behind the GAA grounds. Lough Sheelin trolling is hard to beat. Most of our tourists went there. Some less known secrets. Lisgrey like is where I caught a 25 pounder. The other side of the road from Lisgrey down a lane 400m and on the left is a lake called the bog lake. Access isn't great. But hardly every fished and lots of Pike. Dead bait works best. The reservoir for virginia is called "kwilsha" and has a house on it where Jonthan Swift stayed, is some pike. Also try the lake in Mullagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

would this be a nice lake as we don't want to find a lake emptied by eastern european people
    Mmmmm..... and Germans and French.
    The reservoir for virginia is called "kwilsha" and has a house on it where Jonthan Swift stayed, is some pike.

"Quilca lake" I know this lake well, only lake in cavan that I fish, not because it's good, just convenient as my wife is from beside it, biggest pike I've heard caught from it was 14lb and that was a monster for that lake, I don't think it's used for a water supply any more. But access is easy, probably too easy.

Mullagh lake isn't supposed to be great either. I'd stick to Sheelin or Ramor.

Advertisement