Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting costs

Options
  • 05-02-2006 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im looking to get a rough idea of price for a painting job I'm trying to avoid doing myself....

It is to paint a sitting room, stairs and landing. The sitting room is somewhat unusual in that the stairs is in the living room so there's no hall as such and part of the sitting room walls are also the walls of the stairs. The measurements I have for the sitting room are 14` 11`` x 16` 5``(4.55 x 5.00). I don't have measurements for the stairs/landing but landing is fairly small - its a small 3 bed house if that helps.

The walls have previously been painted, ie not straight from plaster painting. We will probably supply paint.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Now is this just the walls only of the sitting room/HSL? Or the ceilings,walls,woodwork(Including Stairs),doors,architrave,skirtings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

mad m wrote:
    Now is this just the walls only of the sitting room/HSL? Or the ceilings,walls,woodwork(Including Stairs),doors,architrave,skirtings?

Just for the walls and possibly the ceiling, none of the rest though.

Well if it was straight forward and not much furniture to move out of way,plus there is always filling to be done,e.g-walls,sides of frames,tops of skirtings.Plus masking up of skirtings.

I'd say a day or twos work and you would be looking at €400-€500.This is a rough price for walls and ceilings.

mad m wrote:
    Well if it was straight forward and not much furniture to move out of way,plus there is always filling to be done,e.g-walls,sides of frames,tops of skirtings.Plus masking up of skirtings.

I'd say a day or twos work and you would be looking at €400-€500.This is a rough price for walls and ceilings.

Thanks Mad M, it'd more than likely be an empty room - or practically empty so that would cut down on moving furniture,being careful around it etc. Also, the carpets are being replaced so paint falling etc onto the old one wouldn't bother us too much.

sillysocks wrote:
    Thanks Mad M, it'd more than likely be an empty room - or practically empty so that would cut down on moving furniture,being careful around it etc. Also, the carpets are being replaced so paint falling etc onto the old one wouldn't bother us too much.

Well thats even better,so if you do get someone to do this,mention it too them about getting new carpets plus no furniture to move and maybe you might get a cheaper price.But if it was me anyway Id still cover up.

You would save a tidy sum if you do it yourself.Just get masking tape and tape up tops of skirtings and sides of frames and paint away.Make sure you do ceilings first.Then cut in to ceiling with wall colour.

Have fun.

• Advertisement

mad m wrote:
    You would save a tidy sum if you do it yourself.Just get masking tape and tape up tops of skirtings and sides of frames and paint away.Make sure you do ceilings first.Then cut in to ceiling with wall colour.

Yes am trying to weigh up doing it myself against paying someone.... have usually would do it myself but don't really want to take on this one! Am happy to do the smaller rooms - bedrooms,kitchen etc, but with the stairs ,landing and sitting room in this one its a lot of work. Also, bit nervous about painting on the stairs - might just be being stupid but trying to balance ladders on stairs etc while trying not to wreck the ceiling with wall paint etc is phasing me a bit.

Advertisement