Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matt Holland retires from International football

• 05-02-2006 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Charlton Athletic midfielder Matt Holland has announced his retirement from international football.

The schemer has been contemplating hanging up his international boots since Republic of Ireland were pipped to World Cup qualification by Switzerland.

The 31-year-old opted to take stock of his options before making his decision and he has now opted to step aside.

"I'd near enough made up my mind when I walked off the pitch after the Switzerland game," Holland, who has 49 caps to his name, told the Mail on Sunday.

"I was wrapped up in the disappointment of not qualifying for the World Cup, so I had to give it a while before finalising my decision. I realise that now is the right time to quit.

"Steve Staunton tried to talk me out of it. He said I still had another campaign in me and that he wanted me around for the European qualifiers. But this is the right decision.

"I have to think about the future and what's right for me. I'm 32 in April and want to carry on playing for Charlton as long as possible.

"Not playing international football and all it entails can only help me achieve that."

While Holland would appear to be committed to the cause at The Valley, Jason Euell has expressed his frustration at failing to secure a January move away from the club.

Euell had been courted by Birmingham City, but a deal was not pushed through and the 28-year-old has hit out at Charlton for this.

"The club left it far too late to be resolved," he said. "All I want to do is play football, which was the only reason why I wanted to quit."

Shame that, England wont win the WC now.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well Matt Holland has decided to retire from international football according to Teamtalk.com.
    Holland told The Mail on Sunday: "I'd near enough made up my mind when I walked off the pitch after the Switzerland game.

"I was wrapped up in the disappointment of not qualifying for the World Cup, so I had to give it a while before finalising my decision. I realise that now is the right time to quit.

"Steve Staunton tried to talk me out of it. He said I still had another campaign in me and that he wanted me around for the European qualifiers. But this is the right decision.

"I have to think about the future and what's right for me. I'm 32 in April and want to carry on playing for Charlton as long as possible.

"Not playing international football and all it entails can only help me achieve that."

I'm happy about him retiring to be honest I'd rather see young players get a chance to develop, the only thing from the story above that I'm not happy with is he said
    Steve Staunton tried to talk me out of it. He said I still had another campaign in me and that he wanted me around for the European qualifiers

I'd rather see Stan bring young players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

lol Mod's please merge our threads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Mr. Anonymous retires, useless english git

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

There was a time when he played some good football for the Irish team. Since the departure of Roy Keane he has looked very ordinary player. Grateful for his service to "his" country, but I am also happy that the older generation is being moved on. There are many good young Irish players eager to break into this team and thats the area Staunton should focus on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"I'd near enough made up my mind when I walked off the pitch after the Switzerland game," Holland, who has 49 caps to his name, told the Mail on Sunday.

He took his time announcing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Wait wait wait....Matt Holland has played for Ireland?
    I never noticed :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Wait wait wait....Matt Holland has played for Ireland?
    I never noticed :p

Scored the goal that got us a point against Cameroon. It was an early start though, you may have missed that! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

NO great loss tbh. Holland has looked particularily average in recent times. Its time that we start to bring through the crop of young players available at the moment. Playing International games is what these players need. Hopefully Stan realises this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

zabbo wrote:
    Mr. Anonymous retires, useless english git

well said :thumbsup:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Matt Holland retires from int Football

...to the sound of tumbleweed blowing past and crickets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think I'll dig up this thread in about two years time when all our 'next big thing' midfielders are playing in League1. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

No loss, laugh was all the talk of him being the next captain after the World Cup. He did ok with Keane beside him but apart from that was useless. Hasn't been getting many game for Charlton so wouldn't be a first choice anyway. Prob too busy getting whipped by his wife about her horses. He is a mammy boy, End of story, not willing to go into the rough stuff

Advertisement