Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somewhere nice for a jog?

Options
  • 05-02-2006 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

Could someone tell me of a park or somewhere nice to go for a jog in Galway. I'm living near the Gmit but have a car to travel to the park if its too far. I see lots of people walking and running at salthill but I don't fancy running on concrete. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Up the river. Start at the gym in the college, there's a walkway all along the river through Corrib Village up as far as Dangan. Very refreshing, nice clear air, it used to be one of my favourite runs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

but have a car to travel to the park

i dunno that just sounds kinda funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

danniemcq wrote:
    i dunno that just sounds kinda funny!

I knew someone would comment on that. Its just that I haven't come across any parks or anything like that so I figured it would be a good bit away. Like I said I don't want to run on concrete. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SuperMacs

Why not try the new Renmore promenade :)
    They dug up a nice path all along Lakeshore Drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

SuperMacs wrote:
    Why not try the new Renmore promenade :)
    They dug up a nice path all along Lakeshore Drive.

Cause it smells

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

you could run around St. Mary's, though I wouldn't advise it later in the evening - particularly if you're a woman on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

JohnCleary wrote:
    Up the river. Start at the gym in the college, there's a walkway all along the river through Corrib Village up as far as Dangan. Very refreshing, nice clear air, it used to be one of my favourite runs

He means UCG. Just drive to it and park around the back near the new Tech buildings on the rivers edge. You could just do a couple of laps of the open area in front of the kingFisher gym down by dawn dairies or the pitches in mervue. You could jog to them as they are close to you.I know you'd be jogging on concrete but it would only be for a short period.

The other option is do a few laps of ballybrit race course. There are always people either walking or running it. There is a tarmac drive all the way round or just run on the course itself.

Timeout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Hi There,

Could someone tell me of a park or somewhere nice to go for a jog in Galway. I'm living near the Gmit but have a car to travel to the park if its too far. I see lots of people walking and running at salthill but I don't fancy running on concrete. Cheers.
    If you have time, you should consider heading out to Oranmore up to Renville park. Lovely jog there. Good long one as well. some take a detour and take a jog out the boat club, out towards the shore. Really nice down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cmmni

try down by the claddagh and the spanish arch. i used to walk there quiet alot. if you go to the claddagh you can run to the end of the pier and then there is a park right next to it with the sea at your side.. its really refreshing and calming.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Dont bother driving across town to go for a run...theres enough traffic and unnecessary pollution as it is.

You live near GMIT?....then use the two big fields in Renmore (beside the KingFisher gym, beside the Renmore St Oliver Plunket Church). It aint pretty, but the ground is soft and thus less damaging to the kness. Dont run on hard surfaces (roads, paths, etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

There are several places near you for off-road running:
    • Ballybrit racecourse - best bet. You should be able to jog to here if your near gmit. Park near main racecourse entrance nr Parkmore or near HP/ Boston Scientific if you must drive.
    • Pitches in Renmore are pretty good (see posts above)
    • Merlin Park Woods - I'd only run here daytime, not evenings even in summer.
    • Pitches in Merlin Park Hospital - but max 0.5mile loop

If you want to travel the park in Renville is good - through Oranmore, follow signs to Galway Bay Sailing club. Alternatively you can get 2miles on grass at the pitches in Dangan, Newcastle. The Cappagh Rd. park on the Barna side of Knocknacarra gives you plenty of scope too.

There's a meet & train starting in Renmore next week if you're interested - see www.galwaycityharriers.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

JohnCleary wrote:
    Yes here beside NUIG, I did that last year, great spot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

Salthill has a small-ish park too, they play the footie there. Don't go early in the morning though, a load of wasters let their dogs loose to chase everything in sight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

There's fields just in front of the church/school/gym. People are always running around those... just running and running and running.

It's great at night if you're a bit of a night-runner like me, because when you're at the far side of the pitch there's no light and the sky is class.

Advertisement