Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PermaNet and Azureus

Options
  • 05-02-2006 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

I know this have been discussed in many threads already about Azureus and NAT errors etc. but I can't still configure for NAT errors. I don't think I have a router, just connected to a Arris modem. I think I have a private ip address if that makes any difference whatsoever. Starts with 192.... I'm so running Zone Alarm as my firewall. When my internet connection is stable all for about 5mins at a time (Permanet's connection is crap btw, always disconnecting) I get decent enough download speeds even with NAT errors, 20-50kb/s.
    Any suggestions how I get the green face?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Searcher

You get a "green face" as soon you can receive inbound connections.
    I guess you have no public ip adress. Therefore all incoming requests on the Azureus Port on the public adress cannot be assosiated with your private ip adress.

.. just theory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Zone Alarm 5 is not compatible with Azureus but I'm not sure what version you have so have a quick read of this.

http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/ZoneAlarm

As for getting green smileys you need to open the correct ports which you should be able to find how to open them here just search for your model.

http://www.portforward.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

AntiRip wrote:
    I get decent enough download speeds even with NAT errors, 20-50kb/s.

Is that the speeds you are getting with Azureus alone? What kind of speeds are you getting with other downloads and stuff, like direct http links? I'm not sure, but maybe PermaNet somehow limits bandwidth for P2P programs?

I don't like the fact that your PermaNet is constantly disconnecting, as I'm looking into getting it myself, but with all the stories of how other wireless providers around the country are so bad, I don't know if it would be worth it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Is that the speeds you are getting with Azureus alone? What kind of speeds are you getting with other downloads and stuff, like direct http links? I'm not sure, but maybe PermaNet somehow limits bandwidth for P2P programs?

I don't like the fact that your PermaNet is constantly disconnecting, as I'm looking into getting it myself, but with all the stories of how other wireless providers around the country are so bad, I don't know if it would be worth it..

with http links i get between 60-90kb/s. I have the 1m/b package. p2p can be anywhere from 2kb/s to 90kb/s. Yeah, since I got it a month ago it never on constant. The online or cable light starts flashing on the front of the arris modem and it has to be reset all the time. Very annoying when trying to download. But it's the only alternative I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

AntiRip wrote:
    with http links i get between 60-90kb/s. I have the 1m/b package. p2p can be anywhere from 2kb/s to 90kb/s. Yeah, since I got it a month ago it never on constant. The online or cable light starts flashing on the front of the arris modem and it has to be reset all the time. Very annoying when trying to download. But it's the only alternative I have.

Fairly annoying alright.. did you ring up PermaNet about it... they are a hard crowd to figure out, considering their website is so bad and uninformative. I rang them up on Friday asking when would they be able to install at my place, and your one said about three weeks from the time i registered (which was the Friday before). Other than that, she wasn't giving away too much.
    Must ring try and find out if they have a fixed contention ratio, or will it get worse as more people take up the service.

Did you ever try uTorrent instead of Azureus? It might work better for you. I know when I was using Azureus, i did have a few problems with it and the firewall, started using uTorrent and it seems all good so far (for the few miserable 1 to 2 MB files that my dialup can just about handle...)

• Advertisement

Permanet don't supply a public IP unless you request one from them. Otherwise all requests go through 80.253.125.215 mapped via NAT to 192.168.132.xxx. Thia is why Azureus doesn't work as expected.

I got a public IP from them and its working fine now.

Karsini wrote:
    Permanet don't supply a public IP unless you request one from them. Otherwise all requests go through 80.253.125.215 mapped via NAT to 192.168.132.xxx. Thia is why Azureus doesn't work as expected.

thanx karsini. are your download speeds good?

Takeshi_Kovacs - utorrent is the same. I guess the private ip address is the problem.

Karsini wrote:

I just rang them and they said that I could only have a private ip address. I don't think the lady knew what i was talking about anyway. She said that only business customers could get a public ip address.

How did you get it or ring to get this ip ?

Ah yes, are you on Net 1MB?

I'm on Biz 2MB, that's how I could get it. I was told I didn't have to be a business to get the business package so that's what I did.

My speed in Azureus seems fairly average, jumps between 10 and 30kb/s, but I'm new to the BitTorrent network so don't know what to expect anyway.

Karsini wrote:
    Ah yes, are you on Net 1MB?

I'm on Biz 2MB, that's how I could get it. I was told I didn't have to be a business to get the business package so that's what I did.

My speed in Azureus seems fairly average, jumps between 10 and 30kb/s, but I'm new to the BitTorrent network so don't know what to expect anyway.

Yes, I'm on the residensial 1mb package. My speeds are the same even with the yellow faces, anywhere between 10kb/s to sometimes 70kb/s. There isn't much difference so between the 1mb and 2mb speeds.

thanks for help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 marcomolo

wow thats great, I'm with permanet but only a home 2MB package.

Whate excuse could i use to get a Public IP off them, is Public the same as static?

Finally i've found the reason why i wasn't getting green smileys!!

thanks
    marcomolo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

marcomolo wrote:
    is Public the same as static?
    No. You can have a Static private address and you can have a "non-static" or dynamic Public address (most DSL users do).

The address ranges 10.0.0.0–10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0–172.31.255.255, 192.168.0.0–192.168.255.255 and 169.254.0.0–169.254.255.255 have been set aside for use on private ntworks. While other (public) IP addresses must be globally unique, so that you can route an IP packet to a specific machine anywhere in the world, private addresses in any of the above ranges can (and are) duplicated in networks everywhere - almost everyone with a router from Linksys, Netgear or D-Link, for example are using the same set of "private addresses" on their LANs that are invisible to anyone on the Internet.

It looks like Permanet have set their Home users up on a "private network" behind a NAT router that translates each users 10x.x.x IP address into a single shared public IP address, just as many users set their own home network up behind a NAT router that translates the 192.168.x.x private IP addresses on the LAN into a single public address (if they are on DSL or cable, for example).

But Permanet customers obviously can't set up port forwarding on the central router to get their P2P streams working.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_IP_address

I note that the Permanet website says that the service "will certainly support on-line gaming and VOIP applications". It might be worth getting a VoIP account from freespeech.ie and hassling Permanet to get it working for inbound calls - maybe they'd decide that giving you a public IP address would be the simplest way to get that to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 marcomolo

...a million foxwood,

i'm glad i'm getting somewhere with this now. Your advice is greatly appreciated:D . I'll get onto permanet quicktime.

Will keep updated.
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Digging up old threads....

If using torrents on permanet I find the best solution is a static IP, ethernet bridge & disable DHT.

Speeds up to 200k here...

Advertisement