Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone fancy a game/team/league?

• 05-02-2006 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    First post in here. I'd love to get some kind of regular game going that would take place at least once a week. I've never played for a team and I wouldn't class myself as a good player, I'm ok, but I really enjoy playing. Last summer we played at least 2 games a week and it's brilliant to get out doing something physical.

I'm in Bray myself, there are a few places here that would be fine for a regular game. I can travel anywhere within a 15 or so mile radius. I'd be happy to play in all kinds of weather conditions and would hope the rest of the players would feel the same (sure you get soaked with sweat anyway so rain wont make a difference).

I suppose finding a suitable day and time is one of the main obstacles.

I'm free Mon-Fri from 18:00 and could play till about 21:00, Saturday and Sunday I'm free from 11:00 and could play any time up until 21:00.

I'd really love to get something together that would be a definite weekly game with dedicated players, regardless of age or how good they are I just want to get out for a bit of fun and excercise.

If there is any interest, please say when you would be able to play every week, and where would suit. Also, if we got enough people together and each put in €5 or so we could get bibs, a team ball or two and maybe even nets:)

Hope this works out:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Are you offering to organise it?

Poisoned chalice tbh :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Good luck, as KdjaC says, it is a bit of a poisoned chalice alright. Everyone and their dog will say they're up for it, but when it comes down to it, nowt usually happens.

Maybe this time will be different, who can say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah I know how these things tend to turn out a lot of the time. That's why I'm only asking those who will be dedicated to put their name down.

If you'd prefer to play then to go to the pub on a Sunday, or to watch the big game, or to watch the final episode of some show, even if you're hungover. Dedication folks;)

Edit: I want this to become part of your weekly schedule. Like your job would be, if somebody asks you to go shopping at 11am on a Monday morning, you'll say no, I have work on Monday at that time. I want this to be the same. I want this to be your 2nd job, that you don't get paid for, except in terms of health and fun:) If somebody asks you to do something at the time this is arranged for, no is the answer:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The last time it was mooted on here, I said I'd play. Unfortunately I can't say yes at this point.

<--

But if it is up an running by the time I come back, in about July or August, would there be any chance of a game, or is it just the ones that play the first day will be allowed :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Im well up for it. Im like you, not that good but just love to play as much as i can!

• Advertisement

The more the merrier, I just don't want to turn up expecting a game only to find out nobody else is there because their in the pub/with their lady etc.

If we could even just get a weekly 5 aside with 10 definite regular players and whoever comes on top of that, of course the can play.

Basically all I want is a regular game that I know I'm going to be doing so I can set time aside for it and fit it into my schedule and hope that whoever else is playing will do the same so it will be a definite thing every week.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

best of luck with it, if it works out for you i sudgest entering the UCL or CARLSBERG LEINSTER FOOTBALL LEAGUE, my team have just withdrawn from it so there should be places

What's your team? Are they any good? How often do you play etc?

Are them leagues the crappest of the crap? hehe... that's what I'd like. Carlsberg, is it for beer belly folk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Shamrock Rovers SC at the moment were on a "hiatus" as the gaffer and assistant left so they took a few player with them, starting fresh, we were in the LFL its a very phyical league, with the emphasis on shut and push football, if your team can knock it about on the deck you'd walk it. Its the lowest league around i think bar over 35/40's leagues

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

cormie wrote:
    What's your team? Are they any good? How often do you play etc?

Are them leagues the crappest of the crap? hehe... that's what I'd like. Carlsberg, is it for beer belly folk?

The United Churchs League I think would be considered the poorest league in Dublin. I've played a few games in it to help out a few mates. Mind you the lower divisions of the Leinster Senior League arent great either. Same goes for the Athletic Union League. Its only as you go up the ladder does the difference show.

What kind of places would 15 miles radius of Bray give you to play? My league is finsihing up soon ( we have 3 games left) and I wouldnt mind playing to keep fit but the location would be the only thing that would put me off.

Another thing you might consider is Astro Turf leagues. I play in one every couple of weeks in Tallaght when my mates are short.

• Advertisement

You see, I've played with different people, real serious people and people who can have a laugh. I hate playing with people who will start moaning if you let in a goal, score an og, hideously mis-hit the ball etc etc, I'd much prefer to play with people who would see the funny side of it. I want it to be competitive but I don't want it to be taken too seriously.

If there was a proper game going on, I could drive to it, Wicklow is only a 20 minute drive, Tallaght a 15 minute drive.. as long as the game will be on for a good 2 hours or so that's no problem:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

THe tallaght astro truf league is a half hour each way so that might not be what you want. It can get a bit over the top some times as well.

If you want a good 2 hour game get a group of people out and go to the nearest park at set up there.

The County Councils wont allow you play 11 a side unless you've insurance and what not so it may just be jumpers for goal posts

You're joking right? You're not allowed play 11 a side games of football:eek: 22 guys/gals in a park can't kick a ball around together?

I'd prefer a longer session yeah but anything is better than nothing I suppose.

cormie wrote:
    You're joking right? You're not allowed play 11 a side games of football:eek: 22 guys/gals in a park can't kick a ball around together?

I'd prefer a longer session yeah but anything is better than nothing I suppose.

I meant using the councils goal posts. If the parker ranger catches you he can kick you off

Ah that's ok:)

What location would suit you anyway? when could you play etc?

cormie wrote:
    Ah that's ok:)

What location would suit you anyway? when could you play etc?

There is plenty parcks out the south side. Any of them would do. Bushy Park or some place like that.

I'd play on Saturdays. Weekdays arent good cause of work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

kearnsr wrote:
    I meant using the councils goal posts. If the parker ranger catches you he can kick you off

you sure? a group of us played all last summer up to october on council pitches , never saw a ranger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Deffo interested. I'm ancient but I play indoors all the time. And I'm still half-fit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I'd be interested alright, bushy park on a saturday sounds good. Play astro on a sunday so a kick around on a saturday would be good for the auld lungs and legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ill throw my name into the definates pile. Wont hold my breadth though, i remember doing the same last year.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    you sure? a group of us played all last summer up to october on council pitches , never saw a ranger.

Yeah I've gotten kicked off a few times. Two of our local pubs used to play on Good Friday. It was 11 a side with regulars and bar staff. Rangers coped on to it and kicked us off

Ok, seems to be some interest for Bushy park on a Saturday.

So can we get some definites for Bushy Park at say noon on a Saturday? :)

No problems Hippo, sure you're probably fitter than me in my current state at the moment, haven't been out in ages:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cormie wrote:
    Ok, seems to be some interest for Bushy park on a Saturday.

So can we get some definites for Bushy Park at say noon on a Saturday? :)

No problems Hippo, sure you're probably fitter than me in my current state at the moment, haven't been out in ages:mad:

Oops didnt see the time. I work 2/3 saturdays a month.

When would you be starting? 12 on a Sat maybe a bit to early for me. I like to stay in bed as long as I can at the weekends!

Ye I'd have to agree with Kearnsr, 12 might be too early on a saturday, as a lot of people see it as a day of recovery from a hefty night out on the gargle. See who would be interested for 3/4pm on a saturday afternoon. Normally a game on at this time anyways, so if some people couldn't make it there would be a game already on, which they could join.

Yeah in the afternoon would suit most people I'd say and with the days getting brighter you can play till about 5 these days

Haha, I was saying 12 because I thought you'd all be early birds. 3 is fine with me anyway, wouldn't want to leave it till 4 in case we're having a great game and don't want to stop because of the light.

I got a PM from somebody waiting to be given access to this forum who's interested too:)

Where would be the best place to post this in the open forums that more people could opt in? After Hours? Dublin City?

3pm seems grand then.If anyvbody has any mates or the like tell them to come on down. Bushy is normally good crack for a bit of ball on a saturday, sure the more the merrier.

Are there goalposts/field markings etc in bushy?

• Advertisement

Ye, there are goalposts, not too sure bout the markings, but as plenty of teams play up in Bushy there should be some down. Markings or posts aren't the most important of things, for now, we'd want to be aiming just to get a decent turnout. If say between 15-20 people turned up we'd have a good game.

Yeah 15-20 would be a brilliant turn out:)

So far we have:

Cormie
    Kearnsr
    Roddy23
    Hippo
    Stekelly
    Spider_Baby!
    kellxor.1337

This is for 15:00 this Saturday in Bushy Park, Dublin. Rain or shine:D

If I've left anyone out just say so and if you're not definite, keep an eye on the thread and sure, if you can make it, you can make it, if not, you can't. Would just like to keep the list to definites for the time being so it's not a full list of maybes:)

7 names isnt bad but would you still go out with only 7?

And as I mentioned about the pitches we could get kicked off if the park rangers comes along. Chances are he/she wont but you never know.

Also does any one have any bibs so we can tell each other apart? I've got some for 6-10 years olds so I dont think they'll fit!

Ok, I better put this up in an open forum! My friend might be able to sort me with bibs. He will also more than likely come if he's not working.

Also any one got a decent football?

Them cheap as plastic champion sports balls are crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

er....... sorry Cormie, but I've a major problem with sat afternoons I'm afraid, a.m. would be miles better for me, but I understand the Friday night problem! (remember it well) Almost certainly won't make 3pm saturday

• Advertisement

May also be able to get a decent ball off my friend. Hehe, his dad runs the DDSL and gets loads of crap:)

About the park rangers.. did you say you'd only get kicked off if it was 22 people playing or any amount playing with the posts? Will they actually kick you off, if we say we'll use jumpers instead, would they be ok with it? I'll bring a rope and gag too;)

Hippo wrote:
    er....... sorry Cormie, but I've a major problem with sat afternoons I'm afraid, a.m. would be miles better for me, but I understand the Friday night problem! (remember it well) Almost certainly won't make 3pm saturday

Damn:( AM wouldn't be a problem for me either, in fact, if we can get enough people interested in AM I'll play that too:D I'm just writing up a post in After Hours at the moment see if there will be more interest. Is there anywhere else we could get recruits?

cormie wrote:
    May also be able to get a decent ball off my friend. Hehe, his dad runs the DDSL and gets loads of crap:)

About the park rangers.. did you say you'd only get kicked off if it was 22 people playing or any amount playing with the posts? Will they actually kick you off, if we say we'll use jumpers instead, would they be ok with it? I'll bring a rope and gag too;)

Its something to do with insurance. If it looks like an organised game (goal poast, jersesys etc) we wouldnt be covered and they dont want use taking them to court. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of it but its something to be warry of

I hate them laws, if we want to crack our heads open off a goal post, let us...

I'm really stupid. Look at this:o :v: :( It's on this Saturday, but don't worry, I'll be going to all the other Saturdays:) If you want to wait until next week that's cool but it would be nice if there were enough to get it going this week.

Ok, here is the thread I just posted, I think it's best to discuss this on that thread since it's open to all users:)

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    I hate them laws, if we want to crack our heads open off a goal post, let us...

I'm really stupid. Look at this:o :v: :( It's on this Saturday, but don't worry, I'll be going to all the other Saturdays:) If you want to wait until next week that's cool but it would be nice if there were enough to get it going this week.

Nice!

Anglers Rest good lucking getting home from that.

But if you can make it to the Anglers Rest for poker what about the Phoneix Park for football. Lots of pitches there and if often seen lots of people play out there on the pitches.

I'm good for Saturday week as well

I'd go anywhere as long as we can have a nice proper game:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

count me in for sure if its in the phoenix park

Phoenix parkwould be grand, but try to agree on one place. :D
    So 3pm in the phoeno on Saturday??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

sounds perfect to me

Is any one keeping track of who is going?

Cormie isnt around with the poker so can we see a show of hands to see who is still on for it

There's a lot of people saying they will definitely play if it's in the Phoenix Park. If you look at post #19 here theres a link where the definite people can put their name down (no discussion, just names and their suited time/day etc). I think it's best to have all discussion on the open forum thread rather than here for the moment, seems to be getting a few more heads attention:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I would attend if it was in Phoenix park as its much easier for me as I live in Clonee and get everywhere by bike ! :(

cormie wrote:
    There's a lot of people saying they will definitely play if it's in the Phoenix Park. If you look at post #19 here theres a link where the definite people can put their name down (no discussion, just names and their suited time/day etc). I think it's best to have all discussion on the open forum thread rather than here for the moment, seems to be getting a few more heads attention:)

Probably better to keep it to one form.

Advertisement