Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passionfruit at CTY (America)

Options
  • 05-02-2006 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Found this on Wikipedia:
    CTY students in their final year of eligibility are referred to as "nevermores"; those who will be eligible the following year but don't plan to attend are known as "no-mores" at some sites, while at others the same names are applied in reverse. Students who are simultaneously first-years and nevermores/nomores are "one-shots" or "spores" or "sperm" or "squirrels". First-years, generally at the age of 12 or 13, are also refered to as "sperms" at some sites and "squirrels" at others. People at a new campus for the first time are referred to as "flying squirrels". Nevermores and no-mores are sent away with "Passionfruit", a ritual held the morning of the last day of camp that involves telling stories, sharing memories, and drinking passionfruit juice.

On Saturday mornings around 6:00 am, CTYers stagger out onto a common lawn after their weekend sleepover, drinks in hand and sit in a circle. Passionfruits happen on all saturdays (at the discretion of the Emperor and Empress, but the final Passionfruit after the last dance is the most popular. When it seems like everyone has arrived, the Emperor and Empress call things to order. Everyone opens their drinks and throws the caps into the center. Going around the circle, CTYers make toasts that finish with "I love CTY, and I love the Passionfruit." First-timers or "virgins" must identify themselves for deviginization, some public stunt created by the Royalty. As the passionfruit is typically RA-monitored, and the stunts are totally optional, they remain relatively tame. At the last Passionfruit, the new Royalty is chosen by the outgoing Emperor and Empress, respectively, who are always nevermores.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Who's the emperor and empress?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Suzie organised one of them at sess2 05.. one of the last days, I think.
    I didn't go due to not being a nevermore, but it looked a pretty sad affair. I suppose it works to get a bit of the sadness out of the way for the nevermores before the very last night, or something...

But like, why stealing american traditions? Why not have our own traditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

No, I'm not suggesting we copy it, I just thought it was kinda weird.
    Yes to Irish things though - maybe Guinness drinking...

I don't remember that thing with Suzie.
    I presume the Emperor and Empress are the two nevermores who are most liked or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

a bunch of the americans did it at s1 - they threw stones up at my window at 6:45 or so to get me up cus i'd agreed to supervise it - and got free pizza out of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

The one we did last session was fantastic. If by 'fantastic' you mean tear-inducing, and I do.

What's this whole Emperor and Empress business, though? Sounds like a prom king and queen sort of affair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yea, the one on the last day of session 1 was great, but it went a bit differently from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Where did ye get passionfruit juice is what I'm wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 synge

a bunch of the americans did it at s1 - they threw stones up at my window at 6:45 or so to get me up cus i'd agreed to supervise it - and got free pizza out of it :)

I forgot we bribed you with pizza to let us have the passionfruit.....but hey, THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH AGAIN FOR LETTING US DO IT!!!!! Us American former CTYers were so happy to have it done at CTYI! Like....early morning in the grass let's drink stuff! 'twas wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

heheh, i just found it funny that i nearly overslept - also have been quite impressed at the throwing ability of CTYI'ers - top floor window had to be hit to wake me up for this, and for one of the morning runs :)

Piste wrote:
    Where did ye get passionfruit juice is what I'm wondering.
    I think it was mainly just regular juice. Here's how our one went, because I'm bored

We were all sitting outside, with the juice and a load of plastic cups we borrowed from Cian Cassidy. Someone took the juice, poured a cup then while they were holding it talked about a memory they had from past CTYIs. Then they said "I love CTYI and I love the passionfruit" then drank and passed on the juice carton.

Then, after it had gone all the way round, We got a guitar from somewhere and had a singalong. Twas great, but hella sadifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Sounds like a nice ways to pass on germs

Raphael wrote:
    I think it was mainly just regular juice. Here's how our one went, because I'm bored

We were all sitting outside, with the juice and a load of plastic cups we borrowed from Cian Cassidy. Someone took the juice, poured a cup then while they were holding it talked about a memory they had from past CTYIs. Then they said "I love CTYI and I love the passionfruit" then drank and passed on the juice carton.

Then, after it had gone all the way round, We got a guitar from somewhere and had a singalong. Twas great, but hella sadifying.

I think I remember hearing that from my window, groaning , thinking "will they ever stfu?" turning over and falling asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Well we should start our own tradition for Newbies and Nevermores alike. I know here's not necessarily the place to start it but ideas? Lets not make it to do with the possible spread of herpes, unlike random licking day.

Btw, does anyone know if we can resurrect cross-dressing day?

Hmm I'm not too happy about that herpes thing...I have it and I'm bitter about it >:(

Damn face-herpes.

ColHol wrote:
    Sounds like a nice ways to pass on germs
    Not really, no. Seeing as the juice that was being passed around was being poured into cups

Acid_Violet: No

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well we should start our own tradition for Newbies and Nevermores alike. I know here's not necessarily the place to start it but ideas? Lets not make it to do with the possible spread of herpes, unlike random licking day.

Btw, does anyone know if we can resurrect cross-dressing day?

Cross-dressiong day wasn't much of a tradition, though I really shouldn't have worn the corset so often...

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭JenLorigan

I think myself, Darran and Ali were the only ones who took part in cross-dressing day this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

That was such a sad morning. Great though. I remember singing ridiculously loudly. I've seen loads of photos of me doing so in my fuzzy blue dressing gown too. It was such a great idea. And i was one of the first few, so I made it through without crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

JenLorigan wrote:
    I think myself, Darran and Ali were the only ones who took part in cross-dressing day this year.
    Some of us crossdress EVERY DAY.
    *wears trousers with pride*

But heh, aye, Darran giving that Stanford Prison Experiment presentation in a skirt... good times.

I adhered strictly to the dressinggown tradition though, save for the last day due to legitimate "oh crap late for class again *runs out door sans dressing gown*" reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HoboJesus

Suzie organised one of them at sess2 05.. one of the last days, I think.
    I didn't go due to not being a nevermore, but it looked a pretty sad affair.

I managed to work "Cat sucks" into my heartfelt speech. Therefore it was not sad.

Vote No on Cat.

• Advertisement

Some of us crossdress EVERY DAY.
    *wears trousers with pride*

But heh, aye, Darran giving that Stanford Prison Experiment presentation in a skirt... good times.

I adhered strictly to the dressinggown tradition though, save for the last day due to legitimate "oh crap late for class again *runs out door sans dressing gown*" reasons.
    Hurray for the dressing gown thing not dying

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭smiley_knees

Man I feel old and very pissed off at not appreciating nerdness when I had it :( Me no likey the Emperor and Empiress idea. It does sound very hierarchical prom king and queen scenerio. I just can't imagine any CTYIer respecting "authoritive" figures...
    Dave: What is with the cross-dressing?

I don't have a dressing gown...

SAD.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Man I feel old and very pissed off at not appreciating nerdness when I had it :( Me no likey the Emperor and Empiress idea. It does sound very hierarchical prom king and queen scenerio. I just can't imagine any CTYIer respecting "authoritive" figures...

It's a bit too much of a popularity contest type thing. There's always people like that of course but that really emphasizes the whole situation. I agree, me no likey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

JenLorigan wrote:

Im offended i wore boxers as PANTS n whole heartly went along with the spirta it!!! (see my bebo pics!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

Raphael wrote:
    Hurray for the dressing gown thing not dying
    It came too damn close though...

Shellie: Boxer day? Yeah, half the girls did that...

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Aye, and once upon a time there was the spoon thing.

Those who created it, and those of us who were involved in its revivals, can only hope that it has died a death.

At least the dressing gowns have a valid explination going for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭smiley_knees

JenLorigan wrote:
    Shellie: Boxer day? Yeah, half the girls did that...
    Damn, those were comfy! Guys have it so good...*sob*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Damn, those were comfy! Guys have it so good...*sob*

Yeah, they beat thongs handsdown. We need to arrange more crazy days of such comparison when July comes.

Advertisement