Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

liverpool vs chelsea (may contain scores) ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Crespo from Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Ah good old Sky, they always pick a goalscorer. Bocanegra got it on Monday ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He deserved it, was sublime all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Interesting match. Dissapointed not to see Fowler have some manner of involvement. Also I thought we had put the single attacker up front formation to rest? Either way, some very poor performances from Liverpool players. You could be forgiven for thinking Alonso was playing. Gerrard had a couple of flashes of inspiration, but for the most part didn't stamp any influence on the game. Warnock was shocking, I would have almost preferred Traore after that display. Riise was badly at fault for the first goal. Crouch needs to do more when he gets the ball. As someone else said he actually has a lowsy header.

Anyway, and residual notion of a title challenge must surely be gone now. Liverpool need to focus on recapturing their form ASAP. Lets hope Robbie's training is going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Strange decision in a match of that importance to leave your only natural goal poacher at home training. How fit do you need to be to play the last 15 mins of a match?

As for the sending off you raise your hands and make contact you run the risk of going,nothing the handball or Robbens reactions can cover this up, that saying Robben should be done for faking injury.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Liverpool need to dip into the market and get a decent striker. Maybe Robbie will return to his hay day but its desperate times now for them. Obviously being a chelsea fan I don't want them to but they just dont get any decent chances on target at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Wonder will Roben get done then ? That guy who Rooney malisciously touched on the face did so the fa have set a precedent.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Highlight of the match was the chelsea mascot offering Gerard a handshake and taking it bag and making a face at him, legend young lad

to be honest i think they should do something to robben for it. But not stop at him lets do it to everyone, the Soccer AM platoon extras should allbe brought to book for their diving.

Thing is though, at the end of the day, when all is said adn done and your reading your book of clichés Reine did raise his hands which in modern day football you just cannot do and he knows that!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As pointed out on BBC last nite was Kromkamps dive not as bad the last day?

• Advertisement

There is a difference there in that Kronkamp was actually pushed, he made a meal out of the going over but he was physically shoved in the back.

I agree but his reaction was ridiculous also, he dived a second or so after he was pushed.

They need to stamp it all out now, use video evidence if needs be.

Have a look at this

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=5485252

There is a difference there in that Kronkamp was actually pushed, he made a meal out of the going over but he was physically shoved in the back.

So whats the difference then?

Kronkamp - touched in the back and puts in an oscar winning fall to the ground
    Robben - touched in the face and puts in an oscar winning fall to the ground

Tell me if im missing something here!

You are, he was not just touched, he was off balance and was pushed. He did make too much of it but it was not completely simulated. That is the difference. Another difference is that the ref recognised it for what it was and did nothing, as opposed to sending off Reina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

When does Reina's ban come into effect?

either way if they are going to do anyting to robben its because he dived! if they do robben they do kronkamp as he dived also.

you can't just say ah yeah but he got touched slightly harder robben did!

I think you will find that you can. It is a completely seperate offence. Kronkamp did go down like he was shot, but he was off balance and under heavy contact. There is a distinction to be made and while I do not believe that what Kronkamp did was right, Robben had no pressure on him, had no need to go down and was fully balanced at the time.

To challenge more Liverpool will need to score far more than they currently are. Only 8 teams have scored less than them, not good enough for a top team.

The fact a midfielder is their top goal scorer and well down the list at that(for those who say Lampard).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Obviously not an ideal result for Liverpool, but its only one point less than what Benitez should have been aiming for yesterday,as in getting a draw. It wasnt the be all and end-all of matches. However, for many Liverpool watchers though, this game exemplified and brought home many of the truths that have been visible to many of us. That is lapses in the back are occurring, and up-front the team is lacking a finisher, a goal scorer.

I think Benitez tried something different yesterday and it didnt come off. He tried a 4-5-1 with Kewell sort of on the inside. Chelsea who are very strong defensively just werent going to be worried by the threat of Crouch, especially as Terry is throwing himself around. It would have taken some brilliance from Gerrard to create a goal for Liverpool. It was always going to be a close game, and indeed only for some sheer brilliant finishing by Crespo the game would have been very low scoring. I think it was a mistake for Benitez to play 4-5-1 and he should have played 4-4-2.

The first goal is well documented and clearly a defensive set-up error by Liverpool, too much zonal marking and not enough concentrating on the players and their positions. Gallas had an unchallenged shot from just a few yards out, Terry the provider, but even from that position I would have expected Reina to do better. But from point blank its hit or miss and not fair to apportion blame on the keeper. Who was responsible for setting up the zone I'm not sure. Finnan and perhaps Warnock.

Liverpool were only able to create half chances. They needed a Crespo-like finisher to help them. Two strikers of reasonable quality is the way to play Chelsea, at least if you want to score against them. Fowler at his best would have been needed.

Chelsea made the most of their few chances. I thought Robben had a good game and is looking very lively in recent matches. He's a bit selfish though and many of his forays ended for nought. Crespo's goal was very close to being offside. Many linesmen would have called. In fact, I think tyhe linesman did some balancing after that with his next decision when he called Crespo off. Playig the offside trap with a poacher like Crespo is a dangerous tactic. Warnock was just a yard behind but it was enough to allow Crespo to shoot from a dfficult angle and he scored. Liverpool if creating the same opportunty for Crouch would not have scored a goal as he would have not been able to.

Its a Liverpool loss but nothing to worry about as there was just 1 pt dropped and the Birmingham game before that was a much more serious drop of 2 pts.

One aspect I did notice is that the Liverpool players didnt seem to be very much up for it. Gerrard was particularly calm and he didnt get unnecessary entangled with anyone. It was as if mentally Liverpool had already pencilled this in as a loss and it was more a case of going through the motions. It meant more to Chelsea than to Liverpool.

And Rafa was more upset by Reina's sending off than by the result. It was a red imo, as you cant lift a hand to the face intentionally even if goaded during a pause in play. Reina was naturally upset as he saw that Gudjonsen had sneakily handled it and then his good tackle (he played the ball) was accredited to have been over the top. With Carson out, it was the last thing that Benitez wanted to do by bringing on Dudek. I hope Dudek for his sake does well in the next few games.

The title race is all but over bar the shouting and watching the paint dry. Thats not new. Liverpool are still poised for a comfortable finish for 4th, 3rd would be good and 2nd ould be ideal. In the mix of things those position finishes arent very important. They may be for fans but not for the club owners or mgmt or indeed the players (well, apart from Gary Neville maybe). The most important thing is finishing 4th or higher and qualifying for the CL. The next most important thing is going as far a possible in teh CL. Thats why the Benfica games coming up are important. For trophy reasons, which is important to all, a run in the FA Cup would be nice, so the Man U game is an important one.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

yop wrote:
    Highlight of the match was the chelsea mascot offering Gerard a handshake and taking it bag and making a face at him, legend young lad

That had me and my flatemate in Stiches for a good 5 mins... Quality :D

As for the match , well Without a decent striker esp. seening as they where playing with 1 up front Pool where going for a draw from the start.

As for Robben , well nothing will get done but There should be something said to him other than "Nice one buddy".

If you are gona get sent off for raising your hands to another player make it count.

Like barasie did for Milan about 13 yrs ago .. he knocked they guy out :eek: :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

any video of the mascot thing? That kid is gonne be an interweb celeb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Megatron wrote:
    If you are gona get sent off for raising your hands to another player make it count.

Like barasie did for Milan about 13 yrs ago .. he knocked they guy out :eek: :p

Yeah, no point gettin g sent off for nearly doing something. May as well do it properly. Like Roy Keane said about the time he was sent off for shoving Shearer, he should have just decked him.

fade2black wrote:

Yup: http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=5485252 pure quality!!!

I have to agree with a post a couple before me there. Regardless of Robben diving or not Reina was going to go had he gone to groud or stayed up. Reason: he lifted his hands. As soon as he did that it was red regardless of the reaction.

Now If your going to raise your hands you know your going to get sent so at least get your moneys worth. Deck him and walk off rather than be sent for nothing.

Just out of curiosity, where is the rule that a player cannot raise his hand ? I have been reffing for a while and I have never come across it, it is certainly not in the laws of the game, is this just another thing that the English FA brought in themselves like the ten yard for dissent thing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

fade2black wrote:
    http://img9.picsplace.to/img9/6/gerrard.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I also thought that liverpool didn't look particularly "up for it" yesterday, it seemed to me they set out for a draw and were unable to adjust their strategy once Chelsea went ahead. I always expect Riise to do more, ever since his goal in Cardiff, I worry when he goes on a run, but he had little effect and ws forced to play too far back for much of the game. I still think Crouch is a waste of space and there is no sense it hitting long balls to him in the hope of a favourable bounce off some part of his head, when there is rarely anyone there for him to try and feed. With Liverpool having so many narrow escapes thanks to a few dubious ( from where i was) offside flags, the should haave been more aware of the danger. Shame the lino got it wrong again to deny crespo a second in as many minutes.

It was a very strange atmosphere too, I don't think I've ever heard Liverpool supporters being so quiet, maybe reflecting their teams approach nd not expecting too much from the game. Chelsea are always getting stick for negative tactics but Benitez did not set out to win that game (imo), it was a damage limitation exercise, get a point and be happy, not sure that liverpool fans should be too impressed with that attitude. Even when Chelsea went ahead there was no discernable rally from Liverpool, strange attitude from a team usually so competitive.

I was disappointed by Robben's antics, but regardless of his reaction, the act of raising a hand meant a red card ( or so it seems ).

Oh, while Liverpool fan may have been quiet inside, there were scenes outside the ground that were more 86 than 2006, baton charges, bottles flying random punches being thrown at men and women. No wonder the rivalry between Chelsea and Pool is getting worse evey year, of course the sustained chorus of "you are ****" for 20 minutes may have been some provocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

I didn't see this in any other thread, so here you go!

http://www.fcchelsea.com/html/good_lad.html

Watch out for the annoying music on the video :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It was in the match thread but deserving of one of its own!

http://rapidshare.de/files/12688643/cheeky.mpg.html - Alternate link, the one above isn't working for me for some reason. I'm assuming its the mascot in the tunnel yah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    It was in the match thread but deserving of one of its own!

http://rapidshare.de/files/12688643/cheeky.mpg.html - Alternate link, the one above isn't working for me for some reason. I'm assuming its the mascot in the tunnel yah?

Yeah it is. It didn't work for me in Firefox, but it did in IE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Haha! Should have decked him! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gerrard should have pulled the little tyke over his shoulder and slapped his arse!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

that's brilliant. golden soccer am material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hehe, owned :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Haha that lad is a legend! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool will not contest Reinas 3 match ban.

Mike.

• Advertisement

given hes wearing a Chelsea shirt should he not have hit the deck and stayed down for 5 mins.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

like to see him try that with Cisse. THWACK!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Classic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

brilliant! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I love how the kid winks at him when he does it, LEGEND!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

TheMonster wrote:
    given hes wearing a Chelsea shirt should he not have hit the deck and stayed down for 5 mins.:p
    don't make me laugh

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Speaking of Stevie G, take a look at his crib.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

3 more here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Wow, what a cool trophy room! All those jerseys....*steal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Aquos76 wrote:
    Speaking of Stevie G, take a look at his crib.

Say it's a bastard to heat with all those wooden floors.........

He has a few MoMs aswell. Nice trophy room there, only 1 missing now.

Prob has underfloor in that one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Reminds me why I like footballers to be honest ;)

*not ghey

Sweet divine, wonder did he lay that laminate in the trophy room himself, what a house, oh to have loads of money!

You a batty boy Jesus? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Reminds me why I like footballers to be honest

*not ghey

yop wrote:
    Sweet divine, wonder did he lay that laminate in the trophy room himself, what a house, oh to have loads of money!

You a batty boy Jesus? :)

http://www.themuppet.utvinternet.com/stevieg.jpg ;)

Seriously Though nice pad , I patriculaly
    like the bath. Is the floor not semi solid?

• Advertisement
Advertisement