Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Access Points and wireless NIC's, what do i look for?

Options
  • 05-02-2006 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Just moved in to a new house, all house mates have wireless nic (laptops) and connect to the netopia modem that has wireless.
    I sugested to them i could bring my server down here for sharing music vids etc and using it as a internet gateway (Clarkconnect server).

Problem really is that the server does not have a wireless nic (nor does my pc) so i was thinking if i get a Wap will i be able to connect it to the servers nic?
    And can thet also take cat 5 cables as well as the wireless?

If not whats a decent enough wireless pci card?

I had a look on komplett.ie at the following NIC WAP both are pretty much the cheapest, also dunno if komplett would be the best for wireless stuff.

Jozi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

You already have an access point. You do not need a second. Connect your pc and server with cat5 to the netopia modem/accesspoint/internet gateway if possible. If not , buy some decent wireless cards. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306152&cks=PRL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I know the modem is a acces point but to use it they py-pass the server. Defeats the purpose of bandwith shaping.

I'm not up to date with wireless nic's etc, so what makes that one a betterone than the one i linked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Skarloey

why not go for the simple homeplug use your existng power cables i found these on the web an tried them out and they are the best thing i have seen in ages. they really are a 5 min job to install check here:http://www.kelleher.ie/phpshop/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=137&PHPSESSID=e20345cf09e9cb29d5b9e114d024d121

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Why not?
    Because everyone has wireless here and a laptop so no one is going to be using their laptops from fixed locations, they move them and use them troughout the house.
    And they cost 65 per unit!!!! There are 4 laptops and 1 pc thats 325 euro!

Advertisement