Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start

Options
  • 05-02-2006 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I know the basics of web design and that sort of thing (stuff like http://www.iol.ie/~yoyoyo/ ) but I haven't done much in a few years...

I now have an idea that I want to develop and work on... and will involve learning new things...

What I need ...

To create a web-site that allows me to set up the following kind of thing
    We'll call this page the SELECTION PAGE

SELECTION PAGE
    A drop down menu that lists a selection of design templates

Then a selection of input boxes which fill in a selection of variables in the design templates. The design templates may contain more than one actual webpage, up to 10.

Then the name of web page.

Then I would need the inputs to create a unique set of pages in a folder (the name of the web page) and be accessible immediately.

I realise there will be quite a bit of serve side stuff needed.
    I would also like if images could be uploaded.
    I would also like if the selection of inputs could be different for each different design template chosen.

I'll give an example below.

Person chooses templete 1
    Template 1, is 5 .html pages.
    Each page has 2 variables.

A set of input boxes pop up.
    Page 1.
    Var1. Text Box
    Var2. Image Box

Page 2, Page 3, Page 4, Page 5,
    etc. etc...

Then Title of Webpage
    Then Password
    And possibly a few other things...

It would be nice also if it was possible to access a "correction facility" or some such that allowd changes to these pages and what not...

Basically I need to know what would be the best approach to this kind of thing, and how to learn it quick, and ideally a set of templates and things I can rip off and modify to fit my needs :D

Any help would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Are you talking about a kind of online website creater - allowing users to create a simple website by selecting template, entering some text and uploading a graphic or two

Sorry bout you are about 5 years too late with that idea - if you googled for "online website creator", you will see what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Ph3n0m I know it's not a new idea... I just want to create a version of it myself...

I hardly thought it was a novel idea, I'm asking what the idea is and how's best for me to implement it...
    So any advice, what language, tools, server stuff, templates I can use?

ok then thats different :)

I would suggest using a database type system, especially if you are envisioning multiple users.

I did something similiar like that about 3 years ago - and its pretty easy to set up - once you know what you are going to use.

Some people use Perl, ASP, as for me I used PHP/mySQL

Its then mostly a case of finding free templates (I think there was a link posted to free templates in another thread, about CSS). And then you simple save all the variables that the user inputs such as template choice, image, text, etc - and store it in the database.

And finally then base it all on the user name (to access the website) and then pull all the relevant information out.

It will take time to put together

Sorry, but I'm not really following.

I'm starting from complete scratch here, so thats hardly surprising ... :D

I think I'll go for the PHP/Mysql approach (I should be able to get that installed handy following other info. on here)

Then what would be the best approach to doing what you've said above...

Make my standard .html page first with the forms, and then tackle the variables stuff (!) ...

And by using the idea you've mentioned above would the info go into the database, and then I'd have to pull it out? Or could it be done automatically?

yeah for each website that is created, you would have to set the system to retrieve the relevant information for each user when accessing each created site.

Its a little complicated to describe verbally - try and find an existing website creator, and see if they have a demo. From that you should be able to follow how to do it.

• Advertisement

This .. http://www.iwebcomposer.com/Design/Setup/Step1.php

Is something like what I'm after.
    With a much simpler editing feature-set afterwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

If you are going to go the PHP/MySQL approach, why not look at something that is already, even partly, built for you.

If you take a look at wordpress Multi user (http://mu.wordpress.org) it allows users to set up a blog on your site. You could customize the templates and functions yourself.

Looks like it might be a good idea!
    I stumbled across the smarty framework yesterday and thought it's probably what needs to be looked at, and that wordpress mu seems to be built on it!

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

:) Smarty is a very powerful templating engine. I have used that and fasttemplate (Free classes) in many of my projects, but smarty really outdoes the rest. Its a little more complicated than the others, but can be bundled with any software you roll out and customers seem to like it.

Let me know if you need any help with anything.
    Dave

Advertisement