Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Using Meteor GPRS to access email

• 05-02-2006 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭

I got a meteor billpay phone last week. I moved over from vodafone.

Since the phone I got (SE w800i) has an email client, I want to use it to check my email.

To do this, I need to use Meteor's GPRS ISP service. This service is priced on the meteor website.

http://www.meteor.ie/makethemove/talk_other.html

However, I cannot get any settings to use this. Meteor want me to use their meteor email service. They say the other service is 'obsolete'. That just doesn't work for my situation.

The settings for meteor GPRS ISP that i have found on the internet don't seem to work.

The WAP settings don't seem to allow me to access anything other than websites or WAP sites.

Is there any way around this?

Antoin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

after making sure you are set up on their Internet Access point: isp.mymeteor.ie

you'd set up an GPRS connection using their ISP configs (ref: Sticky):
    Profile Name: Meteor ISP
    Connection Type: GPRS
    APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: isp
    IP and DNS are supplied on connection.

Then your email account needs to be configured and set to use the connection you created.

Aside: Meteor don't provide an SMTP server (at least not last time I asked), so you'll need to use your own and authenticate if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Thanks for that! I can't quite get it to work.

My phone seems to expect internet settings as well as data settings. It's asking about Internet mode (http or wap) It requires some sort of gateway (for wap) or proxy server (for http, optional). What should i set that to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

From a quick look at the sticky it doesn't look like there's a proxy server IP required (I'm guessing that you get allocated a public IP) so don't select that.
    And I'd go for HTTP under "internet mode". The WAP option is usualy for the WAP browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

OK, I got it to work in the end. There's a setting somewhere about login request, and once i set it to off, everything started to work.

Best,

Antoin.

Advertisement