Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paint finishes

Options
  • 05-02-2006 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hey lads,

Tell me, what is the name of the paint that changes colour depending on the angle u look at it? Where can one get it. Is it expensive to buy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Hey lads,

Tell me, what is the name of the paint that changes colour depending on the angle u look at it? Where can one get it. Is it expensive to buy?

Its expensive, very expensive. Start saving sonny boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stephencuthbert

I know its expensive. but what is it called and where can i find it. I've searched all over the web and just got sick of looking anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

It's called Flip or Chameleon paint isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Chromoflair?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Its flip paint,Pr Reillys stock house of kolor (probably the best out there) but i dont think they'l sell to the public.

If your getting a car resprayed then the sprayer shouldnt have a problem getting you swatchs for the colour you want,some Hoc paints are around 500 per litre,thats not including your base coats or laquer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Don't forget that there are some 'standard' cars with flip paints and these can be had much more cheaply than custom flips. I sprayed a Mini with Rover KMN Amaranth pearl (purple/blue flip) and saved a packet.

Find an auto paint shop near you and go ask for a look at the swatch for Vespa scooters - there are some crazy paints for those which won't break the bank.

You still need a professional sprayer to put them on though - you won't be able to DIY unless you really know what you are doing.

'cptr

Actually to ad to the above there's an alfa romeo flip paint too which isnt as expensive,there still dearer than a standard colour but cheaper than the likes of HOC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

eireal wrote:
    Actually to ad to the above there's an alfa romeo flip paint too which isnt as expensive,there still dearer than a standard colour but cheaper than the likes of HOC
    Aye, that'll be Alfa Nuvola Blue flip...

Me no like it - it flips kinda yellow and would only really look nice on a Citroen Xsara:)

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

The alfa and vespa colors look great. Vespa have a lovely white pearl color that looks verry classy on the right car.Theres also a black/gold alfa color i remember seeing.only seen two alfas with it mind.
    As for the HoC flips, genraly they look very dated at this stage, theres a Supra with a purple/green/blue/gold (or oil spill) flip thats parked at fairview park in dublin alot and it ruins the look of the car. well, thats my opinion anyway.
    Ive seen it on a standard 3 series BMW and a Merc vinto van too and it looked horrible.
    Theres a celica in tullamore with a green/gold/blue/maroon flip and it just looks awful.

genraly they look very dated at this stage, theres a Supra with a purple/green/blue/gold (or oil spill) flip thats parked at fairview park in dublin alot and it ruins the look of the car.

Your spot on,it does look dated at this stage,ive only ever see nit suit one bmw,other than that its just pretty rank.

There's new stuff out that a few people are going fof that changes colour with outside temprature.Eg say the cars sprayed red with a gold flake,in the sun it turns gold with a red flake,looks the dogs danglies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Ive seen that when it was first developed for resprays. Looks great when not over used. The demo i seen was like white pearl and matt black two tone paint and the heat change paint was on the bonnet and rear bumpers. with the heat from the exhaust/engine it spread diff colors accross the car. looks fantastic. Try some motorbike flat colors. kawasaki green looks great, or striking colors like orange/yellow/baby blue etc.
    at the end of the day the choice is down to your personal taste but just giving my opinion

Advertisement