Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Relief

Options
  • 05-02-2006 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

Right Im wondering if I`d be entitled to this.
    Im in a rented accomodation with the bf , Im a PAYE worker .
    Ive had a quick look online about this and I think I may be entitled to the 330 euro tax relief but then again Im not sure,.

Is there certain criteria I need to meet to become eligable , Ive never looked into this before and I was also A PAYE worker all of 2005 living in a rented premises .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Oldyellar,

Yep you are entitled to tax relief for rented accomodation - doesn't matter if your are in a place on your own or with 10 people. Your personal credit is all that matters. To claim this relief you will need your Landlords PPS number (which he/she must give you) and you fill out a rent relief form. Google it and you'll find it.

You can claim rent relief from last year also, provided you are able to prove you paid rent (you should get a receipt). If you cannot prove it on paper, but did pay it (as few landlords give rent books) I would try claim anyway the Revenue falls on the side of Renter here.

There are no special requirements to claim this.

BTW If you landlord doesn't give you his/her PPS number or gives you some bullsh1t, just submit the form with a letter saying he/she wouldn't give it - sit back and watch the audit fun begin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Will do , Ah I cant see why she wouldnt give me her PPS number as I know that she does declare the place.

But then again people can be awkward , either way Ill be ringing up and giving her name and address , wow Id say loads a people dont know about this and other stuff and never get what their entitled to , the bf`s living with me too and A PAYE worker a year and a half longer than me and hes never claimed it either,.
    Should he get a cheque for the last 2 years woth so? Preovided we can prove it that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What's this? €330 per month, per year?? How do you get it? I want to move out, the only thing stopping me is the cost of renting, I'm a student... am I entitled to anything? Scrounger students:p

Should he get a cheque for the last 2 years woth so? Preovided we can prove it that is

It is not a combined rent relief tax - unless your married. If he can prove it I believe you can get upto 5 years back! But at the rates for the appropriate year e.g in 2005 it was 20% of €1,500 or €300.
    What's this? €330 per month, per year?? How do you get it? I want to move out, the only thing stopping me is the cost of renting, I'm a student... am I entitled to anything? Scrounger students

Well it's not a grant, but if you are a PAYE worker you get Tax Credits against your salary that in effect gives you the extra money in your pocket.

The €330 comes from 20% of the upper limit which for 2006 is €1,650.

Id say loads a people dont know about this and other stuff and never get what their entitled to

Yep, and the biggest culprit here is the MED1 expenses form. Yes people you can claim medical expenses!

• Advertisement

Tried ringing the tax office today , but ended up holding for 20 minutes and then it was time to head back to work.

Ou medical Expenses too , Great stuff , Oh ya since this probably wont be sorted out til March should I get say 27euro which I think is 330 divided by 12 in my pay for Jan and Feb since it hasnt been included in this years tax credites yet?

I emailed the revenue also.

Do you need to ring them? You can get the Rent1 form here:

http://www.revenue.ie/forms/rent1.pdf

Fill this out and submit to them and they will apply the credits.

You are correct, the €330 is divided on a monthly basis, so €330 / 12 = €27.50 per month. The tax year runs from 1 Jan - 31 Dec, so if it's applied in March you'll get €55 for Jan + Feb and €27.50 for Mar.

With previous tax years it would be a cheque refund.

I cant believe I never heard about this before , Yea I suppose you right I dont really need to ring , it was mainly to see if the bf could claim back as far as 2004 that I wanted to call them.

Im goina get right onto that MED1 while Im at it , god knows the doctor is expensive enough as it is.

Ya whats the craic will they want a copy of the lease? The lease is ending In march and then were renewing until September , will they want proof that we`ll be staying here until December 2006?

Oh another thign ,we pay rent via direct debit and get no receipt so will a letter by the landlady stating this do as proof that we pay rent?

Ya whats the craic will they want a copy of the lease? The lease is ending In march and then were renewing until September , will they want proof that we`ll be staying here until December 2006?

Nope, you won't need to provide a letter or copy of the lease upon submission, they will automatically assume that you are telling the "truth". However, you have a legal complicance to keep all documentation and proof of payment for six years after the fact (see the end of the Rent1 form).

In reality they are unlikely to audit you, but if they do and want to nail you they will get pickey about this.

As for the MED1 forms, you are entitled to this, claim it. I don't know why people don't claim this stuff, but to be fair the government doesn't make a big issue out of it as it's more in the coffers...

jayok thanks a million , you`ve been a great help.

Just rang the landlady and shes back at 8 so all going well , we should have the applications in at the weekend.

Yea Im just googling that med 1 at the minute , Im in one of those get everything Im entitled to modes :)
    Seriously people need to be made more aware of this stuff!

• Advertisement

No problem, there are other entitlements, you should always keeps yourself aware of them!

Im claiming absolutely nothing at the minute.

Off the top of yer head is there anything else Id be entitled to?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I rented in a flat for over 3 years, but the flat belonged to a friend of mine, and I'm pretty sure he was not declaring it. I'd love to get this tax relief but I certainly do not want to get him in trouble with the revenue!

Is there any way around it? I don't have his pps number and I doubt he'd be thrilled to give it to me if I asked, I haven't really spoken to him in nearly 2 years... If you claim does it mean the revenue will deffo audit them?

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Im claiming absolutely nothing at the minute.

Off the top of yer head is there anything else Id be entitled to?

I don't mean to sound smart, but I'd have no idea what you specifically are entitled to tax credits as they vary depending on your circumstances. You will need to asses your own situation, and apply the credit. For example other reliefs off the top of my head are:

1. Mortgage Interest Relief
    2. 3rd level fees (on approved course)
    3. Domestic Charges relief
    4. Carer Allowance
    5. Capital Gains Relief (€1,270 pa)

The list goes on. Again, I am not trying to be smart about this, but it's easier to answer the question am I entitled to.... than the converse. You need to look at your expenses in life and the research if there are any reliefs for this.

I hope this helps.

Im actually looking into tax relief on the part time course Im starting on the side , Goina ring the revenue tomorrow anyway and find out for definite :)

Ah I was really only chancing me arm asking , I guess this Tax course thats costing over 700euro should help:)

Zascar wrote:
    I rented in a flat for over 3 years, but the flat belonged to a friend of mine, and I'm pretty sure he was not declaring it. I'd love to get this tax relief but I certainly do not want to get him in trouble with the revenue!

Is there any way around it? I don't have his pps number and I doubt he'd be thrilled to give it to me if I asked, I haven't really spoken to him in nearly 2 years... If you claim does it mean the revenue will deffo audit them?

Well, maybe, not so much a way around it, but it depends on how your friend "rented" the flat to you. If you lived with him then he "rented-a-room" to you under the rent a room scheme, as such he can receive €7,620 pa in rentral income without a tax liability. If he was renting the whole apartment/flat to you and his PPR (home) was elsewhere then he would have a tax liability.

It's upto you to decide, if he was evading tax and you submit the form the may or may not decided to investigate Revenue - there's no guarantee. If you wish for him to stay below the radar then you'd be better off not claiming.

NOTE: I am not advocating/supporting tax evasion in this case, I am just explaining it as it is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

You don't need the landlord's PPS number, just leave this blank. But revenue do use this form to cross check to see if the landlord is declaring rental income.

Another underclaimed relief is trade union membership subs, and MED 2 for dental work.

Certain trades or professions can claim an allowance http://www.mcgibney.com/Expenses4Employees.htm

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Im actually looking into tax relief on the part time course Im starting on the side , Goina ring the revenue tomorrow anyway and find out for definite :)

Ah I was really only chancing me arm asking , I guess this Tax course thats costing over 700euro should help:)

No you're not chancing your arm, check this one out:

http://www.revenue.ie/revguide/tuitionfees.htm

:)

jayok wrote:
    No you're not chancing your arm, check this one out:

http://www.revenue.ie/revguide/tuitionfees.htm

:)
    Im goina call the revenue about this because the course is 2 five month stints but its costing over 3,500 euro , so itd be nice to claim at least something back on it.
    They`ll probably say no because it aint for thr 2 years , but if I dont ask I wont get .

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Im goina call the revenue about this because the course is 2 five month stints but its costing over 3,500 euro , so itd be nice to claim at least something back on it.
    They`ll probably say no because it aint for thr 2 years , but if I dont ask I wont get .

Now that's the attitude! Know your entitlements :)

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Im goina bleed the revenue dry :D

With any luck I will anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Oldyellar

So you starting your exams then,

Tax Relief is availabe at 20% on all revenue approved courses.

Please check with the college you intend to use to ensure that they are revenue approved for that course.

Rent Relief should be available to you as well the the docs bills etc.

In regards to MED1 as it states please retain all docs bill etc for inspection if required.

Yea Im fairly sure the course is revenue approved ,Keep getting put on hold to the revenue on me lunch break :rolleyes:

Looks like ILL NEED a day off to sort out my taxes , yea kluivert did you get relief on your course? Or was yours for longer than two years anyway?

so I get 20% Tax relief on the cost of the course is it?

Id say myself they`ll be reluctant to give me that as its in 2 installments you know one from Now until June and then I apply again to go from August to December , Not anywhere near the 2 year mark .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Yeah its 20% relief on course fees for courses paid for during the year.

My firm wanted to pay for them as they could claim the relief but i told them to give me the money instead.

Good luck with the exams the ACCA are changing the syllabus in 2007, have a read about it, some big changes on the way like not having to sit the finals in one go, they can be done seperately now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but don't forget to claim the tax relief on your bin charges too!! It doesn't matter if the account is not in your name (it might not be if you're renting), one you have the receipt.

kluivert wrote:
    Yeah its 20% relief on course fees for courses paid for during the year.

My firm wanted to pay for them as they could claim the relief but i told them to give me the money instead.

Good luck with the exams the ACCA are changing the syllabus in 2007, have a read about it, some big changes on the way like not having to sit the finals in one go, they can be done seperately now.

Yea I was reading about all the changes myself kluivert , Im doing the course from August to Dec hopefully for the final 3 but now Im worried that Ill pay the course sit them fail them and then end up with it being a different syllabus for the repeats , could that happen?:confused:

Yea Chuckles , were not paying any bin charges here , Im actually not sure who pays it , some company are paid by the owners on a contract basis to empty them , it was one of the perks of the place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Yea I was reading about all the changes myself kluivert , Im doing the course from August to Dec hopefully for the final 3 but now Im worried that Ill pay the course sit them fail them and then end up with it being a different syllabus for the repeats , could that happen?:confused:

Yes Oldyellar, its happened to few people I know doing ACA, its very very annoying for them and they :mad:

Get them 1st time, only thing around it really.

We've all got faith in you.

I dunno is that possible , anybody I know that sat them had to sit them at least twice to get them :(

Ah Bou , I could do without having to wait around til next June to sit them , might be a better idea though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    I dunno is that possible , anybody I know that sat them had to sit them at least twice to get them :(

Ah Bou , I could do without having to wait around til next June to sit them , might be a better idea though?

Eh no, get the fcuking things out of the way and be done, then let the €€€€ roll in :p

• Advertisement

Eh no, get the fcuking things out of the way and be done, then let the €€€€ roll in :p
    heh , bring on the tax relief :)

yea Im just nervy ya know paying for the course and then I might end up paying to do the amended course for the repeats , :confused:

Double bubble , I dont like the sound of that.

Advertisement