Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Relief

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Zascar wrote:
    I rented in a flat for over 3 years, but the flat belonged to a friend of mine, and I'm pretty sure he was not declaring it. I'd love to get this tax relief but I certainly do not want to get him in trouble with the revenue!

Is there any way around it? I don't have his pps number and I doubt he'd be thrilled to give it to me if I asked, I haven't really spoken to him in nearly 2 years... If you claim does it mean the revenue will deffo audit them?
    If you haven't spoken to him in 2 years, he's hardly your best buddy. We need to get over this nod/wink attitude to tax evasion. It's no wonder that some of our politicians & business leaders have been found to be fiddling their taxes when these attitudes are so prevalent. Claim the relief and let him sort out any issues that arise.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Good point. I was getting it for very cheap rent and it probably didn't go over the threshhold anyway. So if I fill in the forms and leave his pps number blank, they will still issue me a refund. I lived there for 3 years, do I have to fill out 3 forms or just one? What is to stop anyone saying they lived somehwere for more time than they did, how do they check these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Just a thought - alot of renters deal with agencies and have no idea who their actual landlords are.. let alone their addresses and PPS numbers.. wat are people supposed to do in this case?

although i know my landlord I dont think i would be comfortable asking him for his PPS number...

(by the way speaking of claiming tax back - you should defo check out the thread in relation to claiming tax back from your yearly salary/yearly tax paid :) might get a nice cheque in the post :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

some landlords who dont wanna register for tax etc will give you a discount to compensate you for missing the tax relief.

the best tax relief you can take advantage of is additional voluntary contibutions to a pension,its money for old rope and sooner you start and more you save the bigger your pension will be come retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Right Im wondering if I`d be entitled to this.
    Im in a rented accomodation with the bf , Im a PAYE worker .
    Ive had a quick look online about this and I think I may be entitled to the 330 euro tax relief but then again Im not sure,.

Is there certain criteria I need to meet to become eligable , Ive never looked into this before and I was also A PAYE worker all of 2005 living in a rented premises .

Generally this is the key way to find out if your landlord declares his/her rent for income tax purposes. If he offers you a cash payment instead or just refuses or even (as one of mine did once) tried to claim you weren't entitled to it at all, or simply doesn't reply - it generally indicates he/she is not paying tax.

I wouldn't recommend in this case reporting him/her to revenue. Instead use it as leverage to get a 330 euro discount on this years rent. People who don't pay tax tend to believe they don't have to follow other laws either and you could find yourself fighting an uphill battle to keep the roof over your head. Then when you leave, complain to Revenue that your landlord refused to sign the form.

My landlady (whose husband is in fact the agency owner, and of course who doesn't realise that we long since found out that he has a benefical interest in the property) is going to "enjoy" this once we've vacated the property we currently rent. A simple call to the tax office giving the landlord's details and saying that they refused to sign the form will suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

shoegirl wrote:
    Generally this is the key way to find out if your landlord declares his/her rent for income tax purposes. If he offers you a cash payment instead or just refuses or even (as one of mine did once) tried to claim you weren't entitled to it at all, or simply doesn't reply - it generally indicates he/she is not paying tax.

I wouldn't recommend in this case reporting him/her to revenue. Instead use it as leverage to get a 330 euro discount on this years rent. People who don't pay tax tend to believe they don't have to follow other laws either and you could find yourself fighting an uphill battle to keep the roof over your head. Then when you leave, complain to Revenue that your landlord refused to sign the form.

My landlady (whose husband is in fact the agency owner, and of course who doesn't realise that we long since found out that he has a benefical interest in the property) is going to "enjoy" this once we've vacated the property we currently rent. A simple call to the tax office giving the landlord's details and saying that they refused to sign the form will suffice.

i heard the revenue are planning to send undercover investigators to view properties for rent and then checking whether the landlord has been paying tax,could be quite a lor of people caught soon!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

(by the way speaking of claiming tax back - you should defo check out the thread in relation to claiming tax back from your yearly salary/yearly tax paid :) might get a nice cheque in the post :) )

Cool, anyone have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Zascar wrote:
    Cool, anyone have a link?

Here u go

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054891655

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Will do , Ah I cant see why she wouldnt give me her PPS number as I know that she does declare the place.
    you can find out whether the place is registered on this website.
    http://www.prtb.ie/pubreg.htm
    Just clicik your county and do a search/find for your address!
    If you don't report that you're living in a house that is not listed on this register, you are in effect complicit in tax evasion!

Advertisement