Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking in "Disabled" spaces - why ?

Options
  • 05-02-2006 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Why ?

Can someone explain why this pig ignorant driver used the last available space ? A driver who actually needed the space had to park on the other side of the car park and get in his wheelchair to access the shops.

Yes. I'll be emailing this pricks employer tonight. "Traffic Solutions" my arse.

05020615076ot.jpg

05020615096ko.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Laziness is a disability I think.

Good luck getting a reply from the company - I find most Irish companies I email don't know how to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What an ignorant pig that van driver is.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

is this outside tescos in Greystones??always get a*******s in that car park
    mainly yummy mummies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Perhaps the van driver is disabled or had a disabled passenger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Litcagral wrote:
    i very much doubt it! it really annoying when people do that, just plain ignorance and arognance is what it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Maybe his passenger was in a wheelchair? Ok, he didn't have a disabled sticker, and if he had a disabled passenger he could have left a note on the windscreen or something. I think it's ok in that case, but if he is just being pig ignorant, there is no excuse.

Recently I was at the Square in Tallaght with my girlfriend who has a broken leg and arm, and can't go very far on crutches. The security guy wouldn't let us park in the disabled spot. Fair enough, I could drop her at the door, park in a normal spot and pick her up later, but it was still a tiny bit annoying when there was 6 spaces empty and we had a genuine enough need. No harm done in the end though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I realy hate this too.

3 weeks ago as I was walking into my local shopping center a small, fat women pulled up in her Yaris. I kinda gave a dirty look in her direction since I hate lazy people parking in disabled spaces.

She called me over and said unless I was in the gardai to f**k off. I never knew housewives had such language. Told her to park in a designated space next time and she could do with the exercise.

Obviously hit a raw nerve because she followed me into Tesco's and started mouthing off at me.

Happens down the local gym all the time too. People will block the bicycle bay, take the disabled spaces and make make it difficult for the scooters and motorbikes just so they can park by the front door. Yet there's loads of room around the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

valerie wrote:
    is this outside tescos in Greystones??always get a*******s in that car park
    mainly yummy mummies.
    looks like Tesco Roselawn SC/Blanch to me.. I know it well. Very comon occurance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I watched a builder park up in a disabled space outside Tesco's in maynooth and sprint past me in to get his breakfast roll! The security guard had watched him leap out of his car and said it to him just as he was entering the shop so he gets back in his car and moves it.

Was walking past the post office about 10 mins later and the same guy was sitting in his car eating his brekkie roll in the disabled spot outside the post office around the corner.

Unbelieveable - was like he had a compulsion to park in a disabled space!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Litcagral wrote:
    As was pointed out above, unless there is a valid disabled sticker on the car...

A friend recently witnessed a woman parking her small car across a diabled space and one of those parent/toddler spaces. Whenever you say something the driver in question always tends to be aggressive nasty type.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would laugh if that guy was up in front of a judge for doing that. I have known people to get fined €200 for such parking offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

i would complain to his employer, hopefully he'll get in trouble for it. parking in disabled spaces is hardly the image the company wants to project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Ironically the van is marked "Traffic Solutions Ltd." and yes I'll be in touch with them. I've done it before and I'll keep doing it.

No, no sticker. It's a simple rule: no entitlement then don't park there.

Yes, Tesco Roselawn and it's happening all the time and it's not the first time I've seen someone who needs one of those spaces not being able to use it because of ignorant pricks like that person. Before they made you put coins in the trolleys I used to deposit a couple of trolleys behind anyone parking in that zone. ****ers.

I'm tempted to start a website and provide an email address for people to send cameraphone shots of pricks like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

shabbyroad wrote:
    Ironically the van is marked "Traffic Solutions Ltd." and yes I'll be in touch with them. I've done it before and I'll keep doing it.

No, no sticker. It's a simple rule: no entitlement then don't park there.

Yes, Tesco Roselawn and it's happening all the time and it's not the first time I've seen someone who needs one of those spaces not being able to use it because of ignorant pricks like that person. Before they made you put coins in the trolleys I used to deposit a couple of trolleys behind anyone parking in that zone. ****ers.

I'm tempted to start a website and provide an email address for people to send cameraphone shots of pricks like this.

Why stop there? Why not set up a vigilante group and go around knee-capping while yer at it :rolleyes:

Most private car parks come under the enforcement of the property owner, so in that case you should have referred the matter to Tesco who may or may not have provisons in place for such parking offences on their premises. A lot of people here jumping to conclusions about the van in the pic, I'm sure you're all correct but we don't really know anything for sure about the circumstances of the white van...

Just don't see the point in putting the pic up like evidence was needed that some people are inconsiderate, like I said its up to Tesco to prevent it so your issue lies with them really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

No, the issue lies with the inconsiderate prick who parked there.

Seeing as you're interested... the staff at Tesco Roselawn are petty good about this. Usually when you give them the reg number and explain they request that driver of reg number blah blah who is obstructing the disabled parking space to please return to their vehicle. Class.:D

Please. My heart is bleeding. "circumstances of the white van". Excuse me while I cry. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I saw someone parked across TWO disabled spaces recently. I checked the windscreen, no sign of a sticker. They parked really badly two, part of the car out onto the road. There were plenty of spaces nearby, including one right behind it.

I think I might print up a selection of cards for cases like these, and people that park across two spaces, or blocking others in :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

koneko wrote:
    I think I might print up a selection of cards for cases like these, and people that park across two spaces, or blocking others in :p

What kind of cards ??

Christmas cards?
    Wedding invitation cards?

Surely you could spend your time more wisely. Try minding your own business.

Hi Chief.
    Welcome to the internet. Did you see the little icon in my post? If I was serious, I wouldn't put a little ":p" in there.

Thank you and enjoy your stay.

koneko wrote:
    Hi Chief.
    Welcome to the internet. Did you see the little icon in my post? If I was serious, I wouldn't put a little ":p" in there.

Thank you and enjoy your stay.

Sorry, your post just smelled of "Im going to write a letter to the editor" the type of busy body that keeps on posting here.

and i think you'll find i have been here a small bit longer than you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

It drives me mad to see non disabled people parking in designated slots, so i use a cure given to me by a disabled person. The cure is a large sticker which state " YOU TOOK MY PARKING SPACE ! DO YOU WANT MY DISABILITY TOO?"

:D

• Advertisement

Chief--- wrote:
    Sorry, your post just smelled of "Im going to write a letter to the editor" the type of busy body that keeps on posting here.

I can honestly say I've never written any letters to any editors that I can recal, so I can safely say I wasn't serious :)
    and i think you'll find i have been here a small bit longer than you :p

Well, it was snotty/sarcasm, but there's more to the internet than just boardsie, but we'll just leave it at both being cynical old internet bastards heh

Bond-007 wrote:
    I would laugh if that guy was up in front of a judge for doing that. I have known people to get fined €200 for such parking offences.

Unfortunately, he could only be in front of a judge if it was in a public place. Although what he did was very inconsiderate, he didn't do anything illegal as it was in a shop car-park. :(

deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Litcagral wrote:
    Unfortunately, he could only be in front of a judge if it was in a public place. Although what he did was very inconsiderate, he didn't do anything illegal as it was in a shop car-park. :(
    Most Tescos have private parking enforcement. I wonder how that works in practice?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Most Tescos have private parking enforcement. I wonder how that works in practice?

Sometimes they use the services of a private clamping company but they are generally reluctant to do this as they have to pay a call out charge if the offender has gone (which usually happens by the time they arrive).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

samo wrote:
    Unbelieveable - was like he had a compulsion to park in a disabled space!!!

I think some people deliberatly park in these Disabled spots as a kind of "FU€K YOU" thing. Its like the pricks who throw litter on the ground beside the litter bin, as if putting it in the bin was a sign of weakness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

shabbyroad wrote:

Luckily there already is one - but I can't find the URL - in any case it's not an easy site to find, as I only found it myself accidentally. They had lots of photos of people misusing the spaces - particularly at Superquinn in Blanch, and Liffey Valley. I think they were awarding bonus points if you got a pic of the driver also :)

Carpark staff should blitz this sort of thing. I bet a lot of them are repeat-offenders too. At Stillorgan SC the parking staff keep track of vehicles with a handheld computer. It would be cool if they could give two warnings to a repeat-offender and on the third warning paste one of those immoveable "STOP MIS-USING DISABLED PARKING SPACES" on the window of the car. Imagine the shame of driving around with that stuck to your window.

Which reminds me: have you noticed how some of the people misusing the disabled spaces tend to do so *really* badly, like parking over two spaces or something totally narkish ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Best reply I heard was something like "As it obvious you don't have a physical disability it must be a mental one" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

TheMonster wrote:
    Best reply I heard was something like "As it obvious you don't have a physical disability it must be a mental one" :D
    I use this one myself, along the lines of "you do realise these spaces are for *physically* disabled people don't you?" I let them fill in the rest themselves.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

This drives me nuts as my father is disabled. A good comeback I heard before is to ask the driver is this the only time he would like to trade places with a disabled person. I actually heard a piece on the radio before where they questioned people parking in disabled parking zones who didn't display a disabled person sign. One woman, at the bank, claimed her husband was disabled and she was calling to the bank for him so technically she felt justified to park in a disabled space.

I have only ever questioned one driver who pulled into a disabled space in a big merc. She did not have disabled sign displayed. However she did have her wheelchair with her so I was very embarrassed. She did thank me though for saying something.

Advertisement