Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys wrt54g & ntl - page browsing seems slower

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I just bought the WRT54GP2. I hope mine is ok.

Thanks for the opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Heres the firmware details from Linksys for the WRT54G V5 model

Firmware 1.00.6
    - Resolves issues with WAP54G repeater mode
    - Resolves issues with certain PPPoE connection
    - Resolves issues with SES turning back on when applying settings
    - Resolves issues with WPA allowing Shared key selection
    - Resolves issues with web GUI ping function
    - Resolves issues with using MSN whiteboard
    - Resolves issues with instability when using Bittorent
    - Resolves issues with using certain ATA phone adapters
    - Resolves issues with connecting to NNTP news servers

Firmware 1.00.4
    - Resolves issues with slow downstream speeds
    - Resolves issues with certain web sites not loading or loading slowly
    - Resolves issues with obtaining an IP address from Windows 2000 Server
    - Resolves issues with certain Internet video streaming
    - Resolves issues with playing PSP games online

Firmware 1.00.2
    - Resolves issue with SES and interoperability with other adapters
    - Resolves issue with DynDNS abusive updates

Firmware 1.00.1
    - Resolves issue with enabling remote management
    - Resolves issue with unstable device boot up
    - Resolves issue with International country codes

Firmware 1.00.0
    - Initial Release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

incidentlly the linksys comes with version .1 firmware and the latest is .6 ( version .4 supposedly corrects the delay in page browsing i mentioned above but ive yet to try it out )

yes!!!! before i upgrading i was getting miserable speeds of 1.2mbs, now I am back up to 2.95mbs on NTL max :) thank you

the upgrade worked flawlessly for me

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Download_C2%26cid%3D1115417109974%26sku%3D1127782957298&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

i stuck back on regular xp... had a few issues with sygate not working, couldnt get decent antivirus etc on windows xp x64... and my speed was tapering off... down a bit more last night...

so i stuck back on regular xp.... and whaddya know my speeds back... 2.95Meg again too.

Lesson learned... avoid x64 for now at least til theres decent security software available for it....

And with the firmware patch .6 browsings back to normal too... so the router seems decent...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

I got my Linksys WRT54GP2 directly from Blueface and so far haven't had any problems with it. Been running for about 5 months now. As far as I know there aren't any official firmware upgrades for this model yet.
    I still have an old Linksys 11B router that has been running in my parents house for almost 6 years now. I had to get it from the US as I couldn't get wireless kit here at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've never had a problem with my Linksys router. It works great with my NTL. I get the full connection too. Never noticed any speed loss, and running speed tests report what I should be on (2mb down, 200k up).

I'm also using the wireless connection without much signal loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I have a linksys WRT54G Ver 2.2, and a basic NTL 1MB line.
    My Azureus torrents were only downloading around 15kbs.
    I recently read an article on the FAQ of uTorrent, about problems with WRT54G.
    So I tried using a third party firmware update, DD-WRT v23.

Now I'm getting up to 110kbs, averaging 65+kbs :-)
    I think the router is losing it's connection every day, cos I use DHCP, and it's probably trying to renew the IP address after 24 hours. ( I put client lease time of 1440 in the router setup )

But, have to say, I'm very impressed with the speed improvement.... tis worth considering updating your firmware if you are having speed problems.

regards,
    Owen

Advertisement