Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a wireless DSL router

• 05-02-2006 7:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

DG834G is getting a bit decrepit at this stage, getting some weird connectivity problems, think it's time for a replacement. So what's the coolest, best, most affordable, and most importantly most reliable wireless DSL router on the block these days?

adam

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I have just upgraded to a Linksys WAG54gx2 which is a combo router modem jobby and it's not bad at all - it uses their srx technology which supposedly improves signal strength and it has made a difference to the Mac which used get a medium signal and is now reporting full strength (with no change on the mac config). So if they do a router on its own with SRX it might be worth considering if you have any locations that haven't the best reception...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I think it is very hard to predict the behaviour of a wireless router in any given situation - if you read stuff on the web you will find people who swear by Linksys and hate Netgear and vice versa.

What is wrong with the 834g? Have you upgraded to the latest firmware? any chance that it is a line problem rather than an equipment problem?

To get the most out of SRX doesn't all the equipment have to be SRX compliant?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Yep, to get the most it should be but without a doubt my wireless reception has improved and that's without any other srx equipment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

dub45 wrote:
    What is wrong with the 834g? Have you upgraded to the latest firmware? any chance that it is a line problem rather than an equipment problem?
    Actually I ended up downgrading it and that seems to have fixed it for now, probably some kind of incompatibility between the most recent firmware and the DSL upgrade. I'm still considering upgrading to this fella, but I guess I'll wait until N is standardised now. Assuming the 834G doesn't go tits up again that is...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

My recommendation would be to get a generic router, instead of one with ADSL built-in. That way you can easily change between providers without having to get a new router each time and you also get a modem that is supported by the provider as a baseline, if you have problems. And you also save a bit of money...

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    My recommendation would be to get a generic router, instead of one with ADSL built-in. That way you can easily change between providers without having to get a new router each time and you also get a modem that is supported by the provider as a baseline, if you have problems. And you also save a bit of money...

On the other hand........:) If you are 'stuck' with adsl and say NTL is not an option for you (lets not even mention IBB) an all in one can make a lot of sense for anyone who wants to keep things simple and the price difference seems to be lessening all the time.

Like dub45 says, NTL is only available in selected areas, plus wireless isn't as available as some think (there's a lot of people living in apartments these days). As to convenience, I had separate ADSL and wireless devices before and it was a pain in the hole to get up and running, despite the fact that they were both made by the same company. And I'm no slouch in the tech department. (I'm not a hardware guy, but I'm not stupid either.)

adam

I've never had a problem with that approach. It has meant that I can continue to use my wireless router (a Linksys WRT54G) regardless of the internet connection I'm using. You should of course also keep in mind that ADSL2+ is going to happen in the next year or so, so spending a lot of money on ADSL equipment is not that wise regardless of your stuckness. And you never know what's around the corner. All the ISP's provide modems or routers to suit their technology these days, so I don't really see the logic in buying a router that limits you to an obsolete technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Actually I ended up downgrading it and that seems to have fixed it for now, probably some kind of incompatibility between the most recent firmware and the DSL upgrade. I'm still considering upgrading to this fella, but I guess I'll wait until N is standardised now. Assuming the 834G doesn't go tits up again that is...

adam
    I have a simliar problem with my NetGear DG834 after the upgrade. I've seen other threads with other people experiencing similar problems using NetGear. I too had to downgrade my firmware to take advantage of the upgraded speeds but I still cannot maintain a stable connection. It randomly disconnects from anything from a few minutes to hours.

Does anyone use the latest Linksys modems on an Eircom line as I'm considering upgrading to one of these.

ADSLUSER wrote:
    I have a simliar problem with my NetGear DG834 after the upgrade. I've seen other threads with other people experiencing similar problems using NetGear. I too had to downgrade my firmware to take advantage of the upgraded speeds but I still cannot maintain a stable connection. It randomly disconnects from anything from a few minutes to hours.

Does anyone use the latest Linksys modems on an Eircom line as I'm considering upgrading to one of these.

Which firmware do you find the most stable? A friend of mine has been having disconnects lately and I know he upgraded to the latest Netgear firmware.

On no account buy the linksys wag54gs it has great wireless range but regularly randonly loses its basic settings - should never have been released in its present state anyways:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    I've never had a problem with that approach. It has meant that I can continue to use my wireless router (a Linksys WRT54G) regardless of the internet connection I'm using. You should of course also keep in mind that ADSL2+ is going to happen in the next year or so, so spending a lot of money on ADSL equipment is not that wise regardless of your stuckness. And you never know what's around the corner. All the ISP's provide modems or routers to suit their technology these days, so I don't really see the logic in buying a router that limits you to an obsolete technology.

Firmware upgrades take care of the ADSL2 issue and most of the current products seem be suitable already. In the end you pays your money and you takes your choice but dont forget how many people are not teccy inclined and the combined unit makes a much better purchase for those.

dub45 wrote:
    Which firmware do you find the most stable? A friend of mine has been having disconnects lately and I know he upgraded to the latest Netgear firmware.

On no account buy the linksys wag54gs it has great wireless range but regularly randonly loses its basic settings - should never have been released in its present state anyways:rolleyes:

I'm currently using a very old firmware 1.05.00. If I upgrade to any firmware newer than this, my speeds drop down to 1MB. I'm currently on Eircom Home Starter Plus i.e. 2M download and 256K upload. Which firmware are you using?

dub45 wrote:
    Firmware upgrades take care of the ADSL2 issue and most of the current products seem be suitable already.
    I think he's talking about the next generation of ADSL, but the same applies anyway. Most of the products out there right now are ADSL2-ready, as you say, and backwards-compatible to standard ADSL; and many other variations too. If the technology lockin problem was there, people would be up in arms; as it is firmware is updated regularly with the big vendors, usually well ahead of developments in technology. In fact the DG834G, a half-decade-old device at this stage, was last updated only last month.

Having two pieces of equipment when only one is needed simply isn't necessary, at least in a home environment.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You're right Adam. Separates can be a PITA to setup.
    I have an Eircom Netopia 3347NWG and never had a problem with it. The connection is rock solid and never dropped (that I know of).
    I have used it on UTV and currently with BT.

Ken Shabby wrote:
    I think he's talking about the next generation of ADSL, but the same applies anyway. Most of the products out there right now are ADSL2-ready, as you say, and backwards-compatible to standard ADSL; and many other variations too. If the technology lockin problem was there, people would be up in arms; as it is firmware is updated regularly with the big vendors, usually well ahead of developments in technology. In fact the DG834G, a half-decade-old device at this stage, was last updated only last month.

Having two pieces of equipment when only one is needed simply isn't necessary, at least in a home environment.

adam

And that latest firmware upgrade gave it ADSL2+ functionality?

ADSLUSER wrote:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=2210

I have read a couple of good reviews of it although wireless coverage might be a problem - 99 seems a bit expensive for it - I saw it in a shop yesterday in Camden Street for 69!

If you are not concerned about size the wrt54g might be a better buy although the current firmware seems to have problems!

Thats around town for about 85 euros.

Was the word "yes" too long to type... Just a pity Netgear's ADSL modems are crap.

Based on my analysis and reading from othe forums, the NetGear modems are more sensitive to Signal noise than other modems which cause the repeated drops in connection. Those with a very good line should be ok. I managed to improve my connection by replacing the old ADSL microfilters that Eircom provided but I still don't have a fully stable connection yet but usable. Just need to hunt down a new modem. I know the Netopias work fine but Eircom are charging €99 for them.

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    Was the word "yes" too long to type.
    If he'd said "yes", you'd've asked for proof. He was just pre-empting your pig-headedness.
    Just a pity Netgear's ADSL modems are crap.
    So crap I've had mine for the aforementioned half a decade, with one problem; which appears to be network-related, and has been resolved.

Maybe you should find another thread to try to disrupt?

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

ADSLUSER wrote:
    I know the Netopias work fine but Eircom are charging €99 for them.
    Isn't that the same price of the Linksys you mentioned in PC World?
    The Netopia is well worth if the end result is a stable connection.

So have I. Next time you try to sound smart you might want to consider that speeds used to be 512kbps which isn't exactly all that challenging for any ADSL modem to deal with. I think it's been proven a few times already that Netgear's ADSL modems are crap. I'm not sure I understand how anyone can take that statement personally, but there's always one I suppose.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Isn't that the same price of the Linksys you mentioned in PC World?
    The Netopia is well worth if the end result is a stable connection.

I might just take the plunge and use the Netopia - I guess a stable connection is all I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

D-Link 664 is a good one - We recently invested in a Netgear DG834PN, and have found it to be excellent.

Advertisement