Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dinner

• 05-02-2006 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

At what age do you bring girls out for dinner? Im 23 but pretty immature when it comes to girls. A pub or club setting 's are what im most comfortable in but I know someday im going to have to grow up and bring girls out to dinner to progress in a relationship.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

erm,,, what's your definition of dinner? a 5 course meal? Have you never eaten with the opposite sex or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

You mean as a first date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Seeker

Yes I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

At any age ... :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Just bring her someone fairly informal....jus phrase it as "a bite to eat"...nothin too heavy like and you'll be grand...then maybe move the date on to a pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Heh, it's a good question actually :) I know what you mean, going to a resteraunt or somewhere fancy, as apposed to eddie rockets followed by a few pints (nothing wrong with that btw..)

In general though I think taking a girl out for a proper (resteraunt) meal is more of a relationship thing...like having being going out with her for a couple of months or something...stuff before that you'd do would be the whole going for pints, bringing her out with a few of your mates..meeting a few of her mates...hanging out in town on weekends or whatever...Go to a resteraunt on special occasions! or that's how I am anyway :)

I'm 22, so I dunno, maybe when I'm older asking a girl out is going to a resteraunt or something..but this isn't "freinds" or "sex and the city" or something!!

Pint and a kebab will do her!! :D lol, reminds me of that taking her out for a meal WkD style billboard add!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I was taken out to dinner on a date to a restraunt at the age of 16,
    I guess it depends on what you are used to.
    If you want to go out for dinner with out making a big fuss why not try early
    in the day.
    Many restraunts do a early bird menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Any age. It's really not a big deal.

Why isn't this obvious???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Be careful here though! It all depends on the kinda girl she is. Alot of women judge their men by how much he spends on them and where they take them etc!

If she is a decent sort she wont be too bothered aslong as she gets to spend time with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I think if there comes a time that you want to take her out to dinner, then do it....I don't think there is a specific age that restaurants become appropriate dating venues or a particular time in your relationship that is any better than any other to take your partner to a restaurant.....I'd say wait until you find a girl you are comfortable with and you feel comfortable asking her on a more formal kind of date....best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Seeker wrote:
    At what age do you bring girls out for dinner? Im 23 but pretty immature when it comes to girls. A pub or club setting 's are what im most comfortable in but I know someday im going to have to grow up and bring girls out to dinner to progress in a relationship.
    I was 17 when I first brought a girl out to dinner, so age is not the issue. Given this, it may still be deemed inappropriate in so far as the woman in question may see it as being ‘over the top’ - country girls and other provincials of a certain age will often fall into this category.

An alternative is combining a meal with the more commonplace pub scenario - a tapas bar, for example. This might also be a good idea if you don’t have a clue about wine (which you probably don’t in fairness), as you can order to drink what you’re used to.
    DubGuy wrote:
    I'm 22, so I dunno, maybe when I'm older asking a girl out is going to a resteraunt or something..but this isn't "freinds" or "sex and the city" or something!!

Pint and a kebab will do her!! :D lol, reminds me of that taking her out for a meal WkD style billboard add!
    Amateur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Bring her to a cafe, probably be easier to split in case you get uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

it may still be deemed inappropriate in so far as the woman in question may see it as being ‘over the top’ - country girls and other provincials of a certain age will often fall into this category

bloody provincials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Muckmagnet

i think bringing a girl out to dinner is maybe a 2nd or 3 rd date . Go out with her to a pub first if you if its a first date . a few pints will relax you both. Posh restaurants can be a bit formal and stuffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Amateur.

:D I'll gladly compare girlfriends if you want!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

DubGuy wrote:
    :D I'll gladly compare girlfriends if you want!!
    But why would I want to do that again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

You shouldnt take her out for dinner unless you are comfortable with the idea yourself. Otherwise it could turn a date into a disaster.

Until you can see dinner as just another way of enjoying a womans company along with pub/club/cinema/horse racing/bear baiting, I wouldnt bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

Why is going to dinner such a big deal??? :confused:

If your hungry you eat!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Try finding an informal chinese place that use chop sticks. I went for dinner with a girl mate to a chinese place in London with only chopsticks. Granted we are mates but we had so much fun trying to use the chopsticks etc. Was so much fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Sounds like you're not too 'keen' on dinner really. Can't say I blame you - It can be really disastrous. But I'd agree that sometimes it's just time to grow up (as you put it!). If you're not used to entertaining company of the preferred sex over a meal, lunch is a great way to get started as it's usually quite a bit less formal, usually won't involve picking bottles of wine and can be followed with anything else you fancy for the day! :D If it all goes well, you'll have a good idea what kind of food she likes and can pick a suitable venue for dinner/supper as a follow-up date. Win, Win!

Gil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Seeker wrote:
    At what age do you bring girls out for dinner?
    An 8 year old can do so if he wants.
    Seeker wrote:
    Im 23 but pretty immature when it comes to girls. A pub or club setting 's are what im most comfortable in but I know someday im going to have to grow up and bring girls out to dinner to progress in a relationship.
    Do you enjoy restaurants?

Now, I love to go to dinner with people; whether the relationship is platonic, romantic, sexual or potentially romantic or sexual, and whether I'm bringing them out, they're bringing me out, or we're splitting the bill. I enjoy good food and conversation in a relaxed environment and the company of others who appreciate the same.

If you don't enjoy that it seems pretty strange to endure what you're making sound like an ordeal. That said if you aren't in the habit of dining out with a lover I heartily recommend you try it.
    Try finding an informal chinese place that use chop sticks. I went for dinner with a girl mate to a chinese place in London with only chopsticks. Granted we are mates but we had so much fun trying to use the chopsticks etc. Was so much fun.
    Damn, am I missing out on boundless japes and mirth because I know how to use chopsticks? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Talliesin wrote:
    Damn, am I missing out on boundless japes and mirth because I know how to use chopsticks? :(

You could always pretend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Talliesin wrote:
    Now, I love to go to dinner with people; whether the relationship is platonic, romantic, sexual or potentially romantic or sexual, and whether I'm bringing them out, they're bringing me out, or we're splitting the bill. I enjoy good food and conversation in a relaxed environment and the company of others who appreciate the same.
    I'm exactly the same. Going to a resteraunt is something I do for pleasure with my friends, family, colleagues, partners or potential partners. Until it's something you're doing for fun yourself, what's the point in doing it to try and impress a woman?

Advertisement