Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scolari confirms interest in England and Newcastle job

• 05-02-2006 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Luis Felippe Scolari has confirmed his interest in the vacant positions at England and Newcastle.
    Scolari in for England job?

Luiz Felipe Scolari has emerged as a strong candidate as the Football Association search for a new England manager ahead of Sven-Goran Eriksson's impending departure.

The England boss will leave his post following this summer's tournament in Germany after comments he made to an undercover Sunday newspaper reporter.

Talks with the Football Association on Monday led to an agreement which will see the end of the Swede's five-year tenure.

Now the search is on for a new manager with Steve McClaren, Martin O'Neill, Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley and Dutchman Guus Hiddink all being mentioned as possible successors to Eriksson.

However, the Portugal boss - who masterminded England's downfall in the last two major tournaments they have played - had already expressed he would be interested in the job, once his contract ends, prior to the announcement regarding Eriksson's exit.

Scolari said: "I would analyse with interest if I receive an invitation to work in England but I will only be able to talk about that at the end of my contract.

"I get happy when my name is mentioned for a job with a club or the England team but we must respect our fellow professionals."

The 57-year-old, known as `Big Phil', had a highly successful club career in Brazil before taking over as manager of the national team in 2001.

A year later he led them to victory in the World Cup in Japan and South Korea, knocking out England at the quarter-final stage despite being reduced to 10 men for much of the second half.

Then he became the first foreign coach ever to lead a team to the final of the European Championships when he guided Portugal at Euro 2004 - again at the expense of England - before they were defeated by surprise winners Greece.

Despite his success in Brazil, Scolari had his critics in his homeland who disliked him favouring a disruptive style of play which prevented the opposition from finding a rhythm.

He is also not afraid of making difficult decisions such as omitting Brazil hero Romario from the 2002 World Cup squad despite intense pressure from the press and public.

While praising the recent development of English football, Scolari believes he could help them to the next level by adding "joy and simplicity".

"It (the English game) has improved a lot in the last few years, the game is more open and better" and described the team as "one of four and five teams with great chances of winning the World Cup," he said.

One disadvantage may be the Brazilian's current lack of English although he insists his grasp of the language would soon improve.

He is, however, adept at handling the press illustrated by his refusal to rise to the bait when urged to compare Wayne Rooney and Pele at Euro 2004.
    http://www.itv-football.co.uk/Story/0,14272,6107_973240,00.html

I don't think that article mentions his interest in Newcastle, but they are reporting it on Sky.
    Good choice for both I think, particularly England. He has good international pedigree, in the last two major tournaments he has won the World Cup with Brazil and gotten to the final of the European Cup with Portugal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

If you listen to the interview this all spanned from what he actually said was that his contract expires in July and he'll speak to anyone anywhere in the world about a job.

He was on Sportweek on 5Live, can be podcast through iTunes or off the BEEB site

Advertisement