Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teeth Straightening

• 05-02-2006 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Ok I know very little about all of this,and after a few google searchs i still dont know an awful lot. What i want to know is is it possible to have your teeth straightened and NOT have to get braces? I guess i'm looking for some quick-cure surgery type-thingy. I wouldn't mind having to wear a retainer at night or stuff like that, just the thought of braces doesnt sit too well. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I used to have a retainer when I was younger and the tooth it was trying to straighten fell out in the end! Recently I've started wanting straighter teeth as well. I'd love to know the answer to your question too, and would they be expensive or covered by the insurance?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

to be honest, i dont know of anything that ye want but i found traintracks were much less hassle than a retainer. most ppl dont notice them anyways

Do you know rougly how much they'd cost? I've heard that some of them are up there in the region of 2 grand or even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Binomate wrote:
    Do you know rougly how much they'd cost? I've heard that some of them are up there in the region of 2 grand or even more.

Try double that, at least.

Try double that, at least.
    Arse. Looks like I'll have non perfect teeth for the rest of my life. :( Any other cheaper methods that anyone knows of, other than physically using my hands to push my teeth in to place?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Binomate wrote:
    Arse. Looks like I'll have non perfect teeth for the rest of my life. :(

My dentist lets you pay €500 up front and then €100 every time you go. He understands that people can't fork out that much up front. He's very good and if you want his details I'll be more than willing to give them.

I've had them on for about 10 months. Granted I've another 14 months (at most I hope :)) to go but it'll be worth it.

Actually when I'm finally finished I'll post the before and after pictures up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

@Keyser Soze 5

What dentist is this you are going to? I think my daughter will have to go and want to start her early,she is ten.She has one tooth that is going some place that the others arent.

A friend of ours works as a dental nurse and she recommend some dentist opposite the RDS,said he was good with kids and takes installments also.This wouldnt happen to be your dentist also?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PokerTony

theteeth wrote:
    Ok I know very little about all of this,and after a few google searchs i still dont know an awful lot. What i want to know is is it possible to have your teeth straightened and NOT have to get braces? I guess i'm looking for some quick-cure surgery type-thingy. I wouldn't mind having to wear a retainer at night or stuff like that, just the thought of braces doesnt sit too well. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The only quick solution to the appearance of straighter teeth would be veneers, results can be very dramatic however there are some drawbacks. Check out http://www.ada.org/public/topics/veneers.asp

Another option if you don't want to wear conventional braces could be invisalign. http://www.invisalign.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 guess??

iv had my traintracks on for a year now and my teeth have changed so much that 3 of my friends have been inspired....my orthodonist allows the 2000 price to be paid in installments at my own pace....i pay 100 evry time i visit which is only once a month...getting braces is very doable and id recommend it to anyone i dreaded the thought of getting them on but just looking at my teeth now shows me that 2 years with traintracks (that i dont feel or notice at all) will be worth it as after another 12 months i will have my straight teeth for life...:D

Thanks for the info all. Will have to get a job and save up for some straight teeth. On my list of things to do as well as get a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ashlynch

look up www.smiles.ie, much better idea than braces, I'd imagine probably dearer.... But if braces would bother you that much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The invisalign are good and virtually invisable however they only work for mulder types of crooked teeth because they can not push and pull the teeth in certain ways. If you have mild crowding of spacing it may be for you. You can get conventional braces put in th backs of the teeth instead of the front also. These are more expensive however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 elvispresley

guess?? wrote: »
    iv had my traintracks on for a year now and my teeth have changed so much that 3 of my friends have been inspired....my orthodonist allows the 2000 price to be paid in installments at my own pace....i pay 100 evry time i visit which is only once a month...getting braces is very doable and id recommend it to anyone i dreaded the thought of getting them on but just looking at my teeth now shows me that 2 years with traintracks (that i dont feel or notice at all) will be worth it as after another 12 months i will have my straight teeth for life...:D

hey i was wondering could i have the detailsof your orthodontist and do they still charge that price cos its very good.

thanks

any chance could get details of your ortho. thanks

a mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

Hey there,

Could you possibly pm me your orthodontists details too please?
    I've just started pricing braces and they're horribly expensive; your chap sounds very reasonable, especially as he takes payment in installments!

Thanks,
    Marianne.

Hey there,

Could you possibly pm me your orthodontists details too please?
    I've just started pricing braces and they're horribly expensive; your chap sounds very reasonable, especially as he takes payment in installments!

Thanks,
    Marianne.

that wasnt me who had the ortho i was looking for guess?? details as they were going to that ortho. i like you am reeling from the prices and have kinda decided that my teeth may not be that bad after all.. or ill go up north to newry only an hour from dublin.

Advertisement