Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Civic coupes, Ls and Lsi non vtec, opinions

Options
  • 05-02-2006 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of buying 1 of these and am just looking for some info on them. I want the non vtec one, a 1.6 ls and there seems to be a 1.6Lsi too. Are both those versions non vtecs? Am i right in thinking they`re 105 horse power. Im looking at the 98/99models mainly, around the 50/60/70,000miles area.

What thiongs should one look out for when checking it over. Ill be getting my dads friend (a honda mechanic) to check out any potential buys for me anyway but just lookin for tips anyways.

Also, what miles to the gallon do these versions do. Maybe some boardies have/had owned 1. Is it a heavy car with an under-powered engine, or a relatively light japanese car with adequate engine for the size of the car.

Its hard to know exactly what model your looking at, some are advertised as 1.6Ls, others i 1.6Ls and 1.6Lsi. These all the same?

Please bear in mind i need a non-vtec for insurance reasons.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Irish Honda web site with Euro specs:

http://www.jspeed.net/TechSpecsE.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

Well you have to ask yourself what purpose is the car intended. If it's speed your after then the non vtec 1.6 civic coupe wouldn't be the best choice as they are fairly gutless, alot down to the weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Thanks for the link there, very helpfull.
    So the 1.6iLs coupe is 105 horses and does 37.6mpg, but the 1.5i Ls hatch is 115horses but can return 47.5mpg?? :confused: Is the coupe really that much heavier or is something else causing a difference of 10mpg?

Im not after big speed like, just a decent reliable coupe, japanese fits the bill and ive always loved the civics and the older honda cars. (pre 2001)

A decent amount of speed will suffice, enough overtaking power but nothing too crazy :)

I currently drive a pug 306 1.9 Non-Turbo diesel of 74horse power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

The higher HP engine would be more finely tuned, and coupled with the lower CC would return better MPG. IMO the 91-95 civic coupe looks nicer. I'm sure if you knocked it back to fourth and put the foot down it would glide by fairly handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Nuttzy wrote:
    Thanks for the link there, very helpfull.
    So the 1.6iLs coupe is 105 horses and does 37.6mpg, but the 1.5i Ls hatch is 115horses but can return 47.5mpg?? :confused: Is the coupe really that much heavier or is something else causing a difference of 10mpg?

The 1.6 iLS coupe is a solid well performing engine. Not the fastest thing around, but the 0-60 time is reasonable (10.2) and it pulls well. Compared to the hatch (owned both the 1.6 iLS coupe and the 1.5 iLS hatch) the coupe feels more solid on the roar, but without the VTEC it is not nearly as economical. That's the big difference. The coupe is of course heavier, but not so as to cause the 10mpg on its own.
    Nuttzy wrote:
    Im not after big speed like, just a decent reliable coupe, japanese fits the bill and ive always loved the civics and the older honda cars. (pre 2001) A decent amount of speed will suffice, enough overtaking power but nothing too crazy :)

I currently drive a pug 306 1.9 Non-Turbo diesel of 74horse power.

Again the coupe drives and moves well. Doesn't at all 'feel' slow and compared to your current Pug it'll fly! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement