Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AC Milan & Their Turtle Necks

• 05-02-2006 10:15pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has any one noticed the fact that some Milan players wear turtle necks? Does any one know why they do this? I know small bits about the Milan Lab and was wondering is it a scientific thing or simple to keep them warm?

Also Milan players who wear short sleeve shirts were a black long sleeve shirt (not their jersey). If seen other teams do this but I think I first saw it on Milan players. Why not wear a long sleeve shirt? I think it looks bad that they arent all wearing all the same gear

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Do you know how cold it is in Milan in febuary?
    It's that simnple really.
    And those long sleeved shirts they wear are really warm, a long sleeved shirt isn't mush earmer than a short sleeved one.
    The under shirts are supplied to addidas as well so it's all official A.C. Milan gear.

Some Roma players waer similar stuff, totti wears the polo neck thing in winter aswell.

It just gets very cold in northren italy in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've seen a premiership player or two waring them too. Bobby Zamora comes to mind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Seaneh wrote:
    Do you know how cold it is in Milan in febuary?
    It's that simnple really.
    And those long sleeved shirts they wear are really warm, a long sleeved shirt isn't mush earmer than a short sleeved one.
    The under shirts are supplied to addidas as well so it's all official A.C. Milan gear.

Some Roma players waer similar stuff, totti wears the polo neck thing in winter aswell.

It just gets very cold in northren italy in winter.

I've been their and I know how cold it is!

Its just that I've never seen it worn much before this season.

I knew it was to keep them warm but since it was a turtle neck I thought it was something more. If I want to keep warm playing football I usually just wear another t-shirt under neath the jersey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The fact that the thermal shirts are turtle necks this season is probably down to fashion more than anything else. This in turn probably explains why you see them in the Italian league more than anywhere else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The fact that the thermal shirts are turtle necks this season is probably down to fashion more than anything else. This in turn probably explains why you see them in the Italian league more than anywhere else.

I know that the Italians can be very vein but to me they just look out of place on the football pitch but I suppose each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kearnsr wrote:
    Has any one noticed the fact that some Milan players wear turtle necks? Does any one know why they do this? I know small bits about the Milan Lab and was wondering is it a scientific thing or simple to keep them warm?

It's because they are all little girly boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

kearnsr wrote:

Also Milan players who wear short sleeve shirts were a black long sleeve shirt (not their jersey). If seen other teams do this but I think I first saw it on Milan players. Why not wear a long sleeve shirt? I think it looks bad that they arent all wearing all the same gear

They are wearing the long sleeve version. The design just makes it look like a short sleeve shirt with long sleeve underneath it.

http://www.subsidesports.com/uk/store/product_details.jsp?pid=72057594037941095&cid=518&brc=&red=product_list.jsp?id=518,mid=-1,

Nunu wrote:
    They are wearing the long sleeve version. The design just makes it look like a short sleeve shirt with long sleeve underneath it.

http://www.subsidesports.com/uk/store/product_details.jsp?pid=72057594037941095&cid=518&brc=&red=product_list.jsp?id=518,mid=-1,

The part below their elbow is all black and doesnt have the piece of red like that jersey has.

Was just looking at the AC Inter game again and maybe your on to something there but it just looks to me that its another tshirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Roma's kit always strikes me as a bit catsuit-esque

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

kearnsr wrote:
    The part below their elbow is all black and doesnt have the piece of red like that jersey has.

Was just looking at the AC Inter game again and maybe your on to something there but it just looks to me that its another tshirt

Look at the picture of Gilardino from tonights game on this link. It's definetly the same jersey. The red bit is on the underside of the arm, so it wouldn't show much on tv.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState%7c0%7c-1%7c28%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c%7c%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c2%7cmilan%7c-8193%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=2&tag=2

Edit: Actually the best picture that illustrates the confusion on this issue is the picture of Pirlo(image 56751443). His left arm looks really like he's wearing long sleeves under a short sleeved jersey, but if you take a look at his right arm you see the red bit and can tell it's actually a long sleeved jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

I've seen a premiership player or two waring them too. Bobby Zamora comes to mind.

Bobby Z wears UnderArmour. Several West Ham players wear it.

I have a longsleeve underarmour top myself which I got in Elverys in Galway for €60. Expensive but well worth it! I play soccer 2/3 times a week outdoors and I find the top great, its light, keeps me warm enough but not too hot/sweaty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dannyd20 wrote:
    Bobby Z wears UnderArmour. Several West Ham players wear it.

I have a longsleeve underarmour top myself which I got in Elverys in Galway for €60. Expensive but well worth it! I play soccer 2/3 times a week outdoors and I find the top great, its light, keeps me warm enough but not too hot/sweaty!

I find growin a set of balls a lot cheaper.:)

Stekelly wrote:
    I find growin a set of balls a lot cheaper.:)

A bit rough but yeah your right. It was freezing playing this morning but after you run around you should warm up and be fine.

Just saw the pictures of tonights game. It looks like it is the same jersey but I'm nearly sure I saw some one with just a black shirt underneath their jersey. Will try and dig out a photo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

Each to their own lads, it's worth it to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Reason is that its bloody cold in Milan at this time of year! Well into minus figures. Robben wears one as well for chelsea as does Gavin Henson for Wales!

Its somewhat scientific, basically a second skin under top that does not allow cold air in and thus keeps the heat in your body. You get faster recovery time through wearing them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Ive seen Luis figo wearin the same turtle neck thing last year when he was playin for Madrid, that was the first time i saw it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

we have all received a full body suit of these thermal suits for our college gaa team. They help to keep you warm when it si cold outside and they help to keep you coll when it is warm outside. Also they stop you from sweating and thus becoming uncomfortable because of the material that they are made from. So they aren't mearly a fashion statement.

mchurl wrote:
    we have all received a full body suit of these thermal suits for our college gaa team. They help to keep you warm when it si cold outside and they help to keep you coll when it is warm outside. Also they stop you from sweating and thus becoming uncomfortable because of the material that they are made from. So they aren't mearly a fashion statement.

I knew it was more than just a fashion statement.

I see the dublin players are playing as well but their ones done seem to have the massive necks like the one Nesta wore on Sunday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As far as I know they were designed in Australia (so cant only be for staying warm!) and stop the body from sweating as much by allowing the mositure to escape. It helps to improve a players performance by keeping them more comfortable during a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

It seems to be all the rage at the moment. A lot of Man Utd players are sporting Nikes version Nike-Pro(Rooney VanNistelrooy and Ronaldo). Not a long sleeve but same principle basically keeps you warm while allowing moisture to pass out. Gavin Henson uses it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

An american guy used wear one for the college soccer team before alright. i always it was he was a bit of a woman/tosser but i guess he was just ahead of the game!

Advertisement