Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanafin calls for faith teaching partnership

Options
  • 05-02-2006 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/7334197?view=Eircomnet
    [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]Minister for Education Mary Hanafin has called for a two-pronged approach to religious learning to assist co-operation between parents and school teachers in order to help develop children's faith.
    After all the scandals, all the sh|t, and she wants them back? Or is this how she plans to deal with the male teacher shortage?

Also, she seems to think that seperation between church and state is a "step back", and that we should involve them with the teaching of children.

I think that church should stay away from schools, least we get f*cked up like America, and also that we can teach about stuff that the church wouldn't want us to teach, such as about Darwin.
    [/FONT]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Trying to avoid controversy at all cost is M.H., I'd say.

But actually, it makes a lot of sense not to have school teachers preparing kids for sacraments given that many of them must not believe in the ideas behind these. That only dilutes faith, surely.

I went to school in the US for a while (a Democrat state, tho'), there was no religion in school and religious parents sent their kids to Sunday school at the local church or whatever if they wanted. Good idea imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

the_syco wrote:
    http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/7334197?view=Eircomnet

I think that church should stay away from schools, least we get f*cked up like America, and also that we can teach about stuff that the church wouldn't want us to teach, such as about Darwin.
    [/FONT]

America has NO religion in schools - thats is a massive issue there. Public schools do not teach or reference religion. As for Darwinism, many Catholic leaders have acknowledged that Darwins ideas may be more than a theorey. The Catholic Church is not against evolution - evangelicals are. Don't tar all priests with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm wondering if this is in the context of the government talking to all religions about church-state issues.
    the_syco wrote:
    After all the scandals, all the sh|t, and she wants them back?
    Back? They are still there.
    Or is this how she plans to deal with the male teacher shortage?
    Hardly, seeing as most of the christian churches have a shortage of personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Victor wrote:
    Back? They are still there.

they havent gone away ya know... :D:D

Advertisement