Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philadelphia project

• 05-02-2006 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

[linkd=www.crystalinks.com/phila.html]philadelphia project[/linkd]

Interesting story about the Americans expermenting with invisibilty on a navy vessel.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

There has certainly been a lot written about this during the years. I think the stories of "invisibility" may have come about due to secretive experiments on radar invisibilty, perhaps generating electrical fields around ships to try and make them unseen by enemy radar. And as the stories got passed along, perhaps it all evolved into something more bizarre and weird than it actually was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

It could have something to do with the Hutchison Effect: http://www.americanantigravity.com/hutchison.html

Particularly with regard to sailors being fused with the bulkhead - which is a phenomenon Hutchison himself claims to have witnessed with wood and metal. Charles Berlitz' book is a fascinating read if you want to know more information, but his evidence and testimonies break down at times and there may have been some disinformation. One thing is for sure, something very strange happened with the USS Eldridge, and there was an attempt to cover it up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My dad was an engineer in the royal navy during WW2 and I remember him telling me that he had heard of an experiment at that time with degaussing the hull on a US ship that went horribly wrong and sailors were very badly burned and injured. Maybe his memory had something to do with this story? Sadly he died 5 yrs ago so any more details of that I don't have. He also told me that there were all sorts of weird stories of superweapons doing the rounds back then.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I heard the de gaussing story too and i think its where the legend starts, that they were trying to make the ships "invisible" to magnetic mines and it shorted out and fried a few sailors and then it wenton from there. Bear in mind that todays super colliders use magnetic and electric fields far in excess of what could of been achieved back then and the effect has never been reported since.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

it's now considered a complete and utter urban legend... yiz might wanna take a read of this for some more information regarding the philly project...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_experiment

Good ol wikipedia :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

it's now considered a complete and utter urban legend... yiz might wanna take a read of this for some more information regarding the philly project...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_experiment

Good ol wikipedia :D

Ehhh... It's not considered an urban legend, and Wiki is one of the most dubious sources of information on many topics like this. In fact, having read the article, it is so one sided it's worthless.

I'm getting more concerned about the quality of articles and the disinformation and political spin put on Wiki lately. I wonder how many spooks trawl through Wiki (in between bull****ting on conspiracy forums, and posting fake Iraq blogs) and 'edit' information. There is also concern that the conspiracy website 'abovetopsecret' has been completely infiltrated or even taken over by propoganda departments of US intelligence agencies.

As I mentioned, read Charles Berlitz's book for the account which his investigations uncovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

As I mentioned, read Charles Berlitz's book for the account which his investigations uncovered

I lost my copy of 'The Bermuda Triangle', are his books still available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Undergod wrote:
    I lost my copy of 'The Bermuda Triangle', are his books still available?

That's a great f*cking book.
    It was where I first heard of this and it's always fascinated me. There's a lot of stuff on the net both debunking and trivialising this event...but I retain my belief that something extraordinary happened. I especially like the bit where cites reports of a ship matching the description of the Eldridge in another US port, a few hundred miles away...spooky.

His theories in other chapters on earlier civilsations, the far-flying gliding dart from the mayan tomb and the precision machined cube found locked in a coal seam also caught my imagination. Must try and find a copy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

His theories in other chapters on earlier civilsations

I love that stuff. I don't neccessarily know if I believe it all, but it's highly possible and great stuff to think about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement