Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of hittin' the Tute next year

• 05-02-2006 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hey, Im in 5th year atm, not doing fantastic really. I have aspirations for Law or BnL, but at this rate, theres no way Id manage it.

Was going to go the Institute this year, but thought Id give it another go in my current school. Dont like it, so I want to leave; and the Tute would be my first, and only real option.

So what can people tell me about it? Does it genuinely help you to get a good LC? Are the teachers really that good? Are the notes as amazing as people say they are?

Thanks,
    funky.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I was in the tute for 5th and 6th and it's definitely well worth it. 5th year in the institure was probably my favourite school year. Being in school in the middle of town is class and they give you a good bit of freedom too.

It helped me a lot in getting a good leaving cert. I don't think i would have done as well in my old school. Of course, most of it is up to yourself but you go on basically all notes. There are no textbooks. 90% of the teachers are top standard and all helpful.

I'd definitely recommend it. Of course it's expensive so only go if you are interested it getting a good leaving cert, which it seems you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I love the tute! Great atmosphere! You will need a biology book for smelly Michael O Callagah!ugh hate that man! Its great but just to tell you only go if you genuinley will work! Its not just the teaching and the notes! They wont get you anywhere unless you ready to put the work in yourself! If you kno u are a dosser and will not work - do not go! waste of money tbh! But if you are willing to work,listen in class keep organised then go! Taking my own advice im getting of this evil net and hoping back to the work! good luck!enjoy 5th yr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

hotasfunk wrote:
    Hey, Im in 5th year atm, not doing fantastic really. I have aspirations for Law or BnL, but at this rate, theres no way Id manage it.

why not though?
    is there a reason?

i dunno, seems a bit like you're looking for an excuse or soemthing.. its the same course... same work that'll have to be put in.. why not get grinds on the subjects your weakest at?

i dunno, whatever you think

personally, you couldnt pay me to go to the institute tho.. but each to their own as they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I went there for 5th and 6th year. It's a fantastic place. I really have little to fault it with and, besides the LC, I feel I came out of there a much better person in general.

It's not, however, a special magical school where you'll automatically come out with high points: the hard work is done by aptituding yourself, yet made easier by the brilliant teachers running the show. The atmosphere is also on a very independent, borderline-college level, so expect to be treated like an adult with responsibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Academically, the Instiute is top notch in terms of notes and teachers. But personally I see little difference in the teaching between it and my old school (I'm repeating for medicine). For a repeat student, it's ideal, but for a first timer, you will miss out on so many things like sports, school concerts, debs etc. If you're not deluding yourself and your teachers etc are good enough, then you'd be better off leaving your money in your pocket and staying in your own school - like the poster said above, it's the exact same Leaving wherever you are. The Institute does the teaching excellently, but it does literally nothing else. The choice is yours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement