Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

underfloordirect.co.uk

Options
  • 06-02-2006 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi all

Looking for feedback from people who have used or heard of underfloordirect.co.uk

Is it as easy as it says and can "anybody" do it?????

Thanks
    Dan

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

have a look here aswell.

http://www.advancedfloorheating.com/

I emailed them with a question about type of mat etc and they seem ok.
    And they ship to Ireland.

I asked in my local electrical store the other day - 150w underfloor heating mat for 3sqm with a digital thermostat -- e400.

Place above have it at e240 plus shipping (probably e20 odd) but a good saving of 140+euro for the hassle.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

Definately the best quote that I got - around 1500 euro cheaper than any of the Irish companies for materials and installation... This is for a 2700 square foot two storey house

Like yourself though, I'm looking for other peoples experiences of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What are you putting in? Electric cables in the slab?
    If so Devi here in Ireland have all you need and it is about as good as you will get, my builders put down 4 cables in total, 2 for use and 2 as spares in case anything happened to the other 2.
    I would advise the same if you are fitting them, it is almost impossible to retrofit cables, chasing would be a huge job and not worth it.
    I fitted one 5m cable of 100w in the bathroom as an additional heat source and the amount of dust and mess after just that small job was unreal.
    I would not like to do an entire house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We used Underfloor direct for our UFH, they were by a mile the cheapest, the pipe they supply is very rigid and my plumber said it would be harder to install but definately more durable.
    It took us time and patience to get the job done but we used a pipe bending mould to get the bends correct and then after a while I got a knack but the material they have supplied seems spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hey,
    has anyone any experience using the under-tile method?
    I am liking the look of the prices on that underfloor direct website, but after reading the installation manual (translated from Polish Id guess) Im confused by the "pipes" they want you to install.
    How does that work under tiles?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Underfloor heating they are on about Greebo - that is not the same as the undertile which you are thinking off.

You are thinking of the Devi mats or similar, what UnderfloorDirect do is not the same

yop wrote:
    Underfloor heating they are on about Greebo - that is not the same as the undertile which you are thinking off.

You are thinking of the Devi mats or similar, what UnderfloorDirect do is not the same
    according to their website they do... See the "under tile heating" link on the right hand side
    Its the usual mat stuff, but then to link it to the "wall" you need to run these two pipes, I dunno if they are for pretection or what but it looks like you would have to chase them out if you are on concrete like I am.

I don't see any mention of pipes in the undertile section, any chance of a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Just did some sums.
    Electric underfloor heating seems an awful expensive way to heat your hous.
    Say you have a house of 1200 sq ft or 110 sq m.

Electricity at €0.15 per KWH roughly

110m * 100 watts = 11000W or 11KW

(11) 0.15 = €1.65 an hour to heat you house atr 100W per sq m.

IT cost me abou €5 a day for oil heating that size house with radiators.

CJhaughey wrote:
    I don't see any mention of pipes in the undertile section, any chance of a link?
    see page 9/10
    http://www.underfloorheating.ie/downloadheatingmatsleaflet.pdf

• Advertisement

JimmySmith wrote:
    Just did some sums.
    Electric underfloor heating seems an awful expensive way to heat your hous.
    Say you have a house of 1200 sq ft or 110 sq m.

Electricity at €0.15 per KWH roughly

110m * 100 watts = 11000W or 11KW

(11) 0.15 = €1.65 an hour to heat you house atr 100W per sq m.

IT cost me abou €5 a day for oil heating that size house with radiators.

Well I guess you wouldnt have every square inch on 24/7 and that the floor surface would act as a storage heater to some extent.
    Also the systems will be regulating themselves.
    It would be interesting to compare the achieved ambient temperature and the cost thereof, rather than comparing price to what the thermometer says...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

I have to say i do like the idea of underfloor heating alright.
    But for €5 a day i get all the rooms in my house heated for about 7 hours a day.

I guess with the electric UFH though you would only need to heat those rooms you use during the day so it might work out cheaper after all as its easier to isolate rooms than the crappy system i have at the moment.

Pity it doesnt store heat so you could use nightsaver though.

Are you sure that is the right link, that is a heated electrical mat, no pipes there unless you are talking about the flex around the pipe!

yop wrote:
    Are you sure that is the right link, that is a heated electrical mat, no pipes there unless you are talking about the flex around the pipe!
    nah, if you look at the pictures on page 9 and 10 you can see they have 2 pipes coming from the wall junction box to the cold tail and the floor thermometer...

I know what you are talking about now.
    Where the floor sensor and the cold tail enter the screed you use that corrugated plastic to protect the cable from crushing and damage.
    Jimmysmith
    I have Electric UFH and it uses ~5kw on nightrate.
    The cables are buried in the slab and the whole slab acts as a giant nightstorage heater.
    I haven't had the first bill yet but I am not expecting anything huge, nightrate is still relatively cheap.
    I also have 3 loops of Qualpex for any other form of heating should I choose to utilise alternate heat sources in the future.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi all

Looking for feedback from people who have used or heard of underfloordirect.co.uk

Is it as easy as it says and can "anybody" do it?????

Thanks
    Dan

What type of flooring are you thinking of.
    The cable in a screed type or just the mat under tiles for a bathroom.
    I am going to put in the mat type in a new bathroom. just stick it to the concrete and tile over. (thought some types require a self leveling compund is put down first -over the mat)

If you explain the type you need (since it's your question :rolleyes: ) we can help futher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 danxtremeclean

I'm looking for the water system, basically a big radiator under the screed floor. Not looking at the electric mat type, not my cup of tea.

Thanks
    Dan

Advertisement