Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection Dropping

• 06-02-2006 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi
    My broadband is Eircom and on a wireless netopia router. Everytime I'm online the connection drops randomly for up to 30 seconds at a time. There are two other computers in the house, one is connected using ethernet and the connection drops on that also. But the other one that is connected through a wireless connection is fine. Although they're not online that often to see if it goes down. I'm sick of calling Eircom for everything so was hoping someone might be able to suggest something.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Wolfy100

I'm on Esat BT broadband and was getting the same problems as you, random disconnects for a few seconds. Seeing as Esat is just a re-seller of Eircom I will assume we are on the same connection. Anyway, I reported the problem and at first was fobbed off with "there is nothing wrong" but I threatened to quit Esat and they got a little more helpful. I don't know if it was the threat or that I just got a good techy.

He gave me loads of things to try such as getting a shorter telephone cable and removing the microfilters. But, I was given a new wireless router by Esat 6 months after joining them (I won some competition or other) and was told to go back to the old one just to eliminate the chance that the wireless one was broken, even though I wasn't using it wireless. Anyway, it seems that was the problem. Since the upgrade Eircom has reduced the interleaving thus there is more noise on the line, it seems the wireless modem is more touchy about the noise that the old standard one. Thats the line I have been given anyway.

I would suggest borrowing another modem/router (non-wireless) and see if that works. Are you all using the same modem manufacturer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

This was happening to me all day saturday (utv). By Sunday it appears to have sorted itself out.

Advertisement