Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite??

• 06-02-2006 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello there,
    I am living in the midlands with no chance of getting broadband, I have tried Last Mile to see do I qualify for wireless but I have been told I am not within their coverage.
    My last option is satellite, but no one seems to know how good or dependable it is
    Can anybody help? Has anybody out there got satellite? If so I could do with your advice.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Hi,
    I haven't used satellite myself though i do know that the nature of the technology makes latency high. Generally satellite should perform well with any task that isn't very latency sensitive e.g browsing, downloading though i wouldn't go near activities like gaming...

Service would vary a bit depending on your provider... though generally i've heard it's reliable enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gustavmax

Thanks Champ for your views, but my main use is gaming (online poker), which is driving me mad at the moment because the phone line keeps disconnecting, freezing etc. Do you have any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭emaherx

satellite BB should be fine for online poker
    by online gaming i think Champ ment games containing virtual worlds that rely on split second reactions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Decent two way satellite is about 300 Euro a month with 1000 Euro install. It works fine for downloads, email, ordinary web pages but has huge latency. It is nearly unusable for Skype, Real time games, some forms and interactive web sites.

ISDN would be a cheaper solution with instant connect and very low ping times, sometimes less latency than some BB suppliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

I'm inclined to agree with watty.

If your not going to do much downloading, consider ISDN. I know it's a slap in the face considering DSL, cable etc; but if your not going to do much downloading then a single channel ISDN could just be the thing for you. Latency in ISDN i think is commonly good, certainly better than either satellite or your standard phone line with the former because enormous roundtrips aren't necessary and the latter because it doesn't have to modulate the signal between analog and digital.

So if you just need a reliable connection and not loads of bandwidth, consider ISDN.;)

I believe the majority of ISPs these days cover ISDN in their flat rate packages as well?

• Advertisement
Advertisement