Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future Hamas war?

Options
  • 06-02-2006 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Just a thought: as Isreal has in the past attacked Hamas's military factions in the past, due to being atacked, and that Hama's intends to integrate its military faction with the current army, would any future attack on Hama's, in revenge for an attack against Isreal, be seen, as a "legal" act of war, as Hamas me then be part of the army, etc?

Now, this would mean that Isreal attacked 1st, but will Hammas attack back, and if so, under who's banner, as if they attack under Hamas banner, it'll be one state attacking another?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

the_syco wrote:
    Just a thought: as Isreal has in the past attacked Hamas's military factions in the past, due to being atacked, and that Hama's intends to integrate its military faction with the current army, would any future attack on Hama's, in revenge for an attack against Isreal, be seen, as a "legal" act of war, as Hamas me then be part of the army, etc?

Now, this would mean that Isreal attacked 1st, but will Hammas attack back, and if so, under who's banner, as if they attack under Hamas banner, it'll be one state attacking another?

Doesn't Hamas want to create a Palestian army from it's millitant-wing, something that currently does not exist?
    It is unlikely that such an army would recieve international recognition and so any attack on it would be the same as an attack on Hamas (it would be Hamas under a different name, really).
    Besides, Palestine doesn't have international recognition as a state, and so Israel at least would not see it as an act of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

flogen wrote:
    Doesn't Hamas want to create a Palestian army from it's millitant-wing, something that currently does not exist?
    Don't know, tbh. According to the article I saw, Hamas wanted to integrate its millitant-wing with the Palestian army.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

No Palestian 'army' exists at present, the Palestian security forces are a paramilitary organisation made up primarily of Fatah supporters, many of whom are at loggerheads with Hamas.

I doubt there would be much chance for any Palestian army made up of Hamas gunmen being internationally recognised, and no chance Isreal would recognise any Hamas-linked security force as being on equal standing with the IDF.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Hmm... I think any Hamas people that were on Israel's target list but were elected have been given a bit of a reprieve. I don't know if Israel particularly cares that they were elected, but the 'rules' would likely grant them immunity.

Hamas' military wing are not at this time part of the official government forces. Any strikes against them would not be an act against the PA in itself.

NTM

Advertisement