Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if the British princes were captured?

Options
  • 06-02-2006 3:33am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With word that British Prince Harry is due to join the Household Cavalry and that he may face action in Iraq or Afghanistan, and with the intention of William to serve on the front line; what do you think would happen if an Islamic extremists organisation got their hands on either Prince?
    (forget about the amount of protection they would be likely to have if they did serve on the front line, I'm sure the rise in protection would be met with a rise in interest from terrorists.)
    I mean, would the British Government negotiate, or do what they always do; make a plea and refuse to negotiate? Would they do the same in public and make a private deal? Would it have bit political fallout? Would the extremists just kill the princes, thinking they'd be a great trophy or would they release them realising how dangerous it is for them to be the killers?

I personally would imagine there would be a secret deal made; but the most interesting thing would be the public reaction, I think it would lead to the greatest ever opposition to the war we have seen in the UK, and possibly the US too.
    As an aside, I think it would be a bigger effect if it was William than if it was Harry... no offence to the guy but William is the people's favourite, Harry is just a lovable rouge.. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

There is no way in hell the princes will be placed in any kind of danger/front line etc. But going along with the idea...

The extremists would have to be totally ****ing stupid to kill the princes. A war would probably start... (isn't think how world wars normally start??)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

dublindude wrote:
    A war would probably start...

I think you are forgetting that the war has already started.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

dublindude wrote:
    There is no way in hell the princes will be placed in any kind of danger/front line etc. But going along with the idea...

The Blues and Royals are already slated for an Iraq deployment. Assuming the MoD's plans don't change, he's going with 'em.

Last Royal to see action was Prince Andrew, though as a chopper pilot, he only needed to worry about the Argentine Air Force, he wasn't on the ground with a rifle.

In the unlikely event that Harry were captured, I strongly doubt there would be any negotiation. The opposition might kill him, they've not really shown a great concern for what Westerners think. The British always have tended to support their Royals regardless of any political persuastion, and Harry/William are probably the two most popular right now. Chances are the country would demand vengeance.

NTM

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

In the unlikely event that Harry were captured, I strongly doubt there would be any negotiation.

It is unlikely but not sure about negotiation. Killing the prince would polorize the UK to get full into the fight.

But I can't see him being put in any position where he might get hurt/captured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lil-buttons

Wouldn it be great if the whole royal familly jus disappeared! They are definetly the most annoyin familly in the world! Who cares if they get lifted ? They are jus a stuck up wealthy familly who have sponged off the English for like forever! So would it really be a loss?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

I think you are forgetting that the war has already started.
    There's a difference between trying to stabilise a country and wanting to destroy it... Could it possibly trigger an all out war with east and west? Hard to imagine, what with all the oil being their's but its hard to grasp how badly the public would react.

Destroy which country? The fight isn't against a country, but a group of people.

The likely result would be an increased determination of the British to 'win'. Expect to see a great increase in British troop strength, a decrease in the calls for withdrawl, and likely the expenditure of a lot of political capitol between the UK and arab countries in the area to secure assistance in terms of intelligence.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

lil-buttons, after hours is that way ->.

It won't happen, he'll pull a sickie or rather someone will on his behalf like the government.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The idea of the 3rd in line to the British throne being allowed to go anywhere near a front line is ridiculous. His commander would have panic attacks at the idea of having to ring Buckingham Palace to inform them William was dead. For the rest of his (short) career hed be the guy who let Prince William get shot. Nah, William might want to be treated like "one of the lads" but hell be kept reconning extremely safe areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wouldn it be great if the whole royal familly jus disappeared! They are definetly the most annoyin familly in the world! Who cares if they get lifted ? They are jus a stuck up wealthy familly who have sponged off the English for like forever! So would it really be a loss?
    You mean they are worse than even the Bush family?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lil-buttons

Victor wrote:
    You mean they are worse than even the Bush family?

Yup do u not think so ?
    I really dislike them!
    D bushs are jus typical Americans who are on
    a power trip! Its the royals who jus snub their
    noses at everyone.... sure isnt it a pity they didn
    snub their noses at us all them years ago!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I'd say they'd use their army intelligence network and do everything in their power by means of force to get him back. I don't think they would give in to their demands, rather kick their asses and take him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

flogen wrote:
    Harry is just a lovable rouge.. ;)

A lovable rouge? How Freudian is that? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭klash

flogen wrote:
    With word that British Prince Harry is due to join the Household Cavalry and that he may face action in Iraq or Afghanistan, and with the intention of William to serve on the front line....

ROLF :D:D:D:D:D

On the frontline ????? ROFL

I can't even answer that sarcastically without hurting myself laughing.

Regardless of what you read/see/listen to, neither of those two are getting within an ass's roar of anything "iffy" nevermind dangerous.

I can't believe that tripe is even being passed around.

FWIW, the lads at the British Army unofficial website fully expect that he'll be used as any other officer of similar rank.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭SeanW

Can't see it happening TBH. Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

There was a report on BBC yesterday that the UK are planning to pull out nearly all thier forces in the near future. Not a total pull out though. Although after reading the link they don't have that many there anyway.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4690710.stm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Sand wrote:
    The idea of the 3rd in line to the British throne being allowed to go anywhere near a front line is ridiculous. His commander would have panic attacks at the idea of having to ring Buckingham Palace to inform them William was dead. For the rest of his (short) career hed be the guy who let Prince William get shot. Nah, William might want to be treated like "one of the lads" but hell be kept reconning extremely safe areas.

(You're not the only one saying this Sand, but anyway)

I know the chances of this happening are highly unlikely, if the Princes do go to Iraq/Afghanistan at all I can imagine they'll be pencil pushing or guarding the most fortified structure in the Green Zone along with 200 other men etc. but, as unlikely as it is, I was wondering what people would see happening if it did... what would be the diplomatic fallout

A good point made was that it would split the UK for and against the war even more than ever; patriotism would certainly lead to many calling the kidnappers terrorists where they would not have before; I suppose it would force everyone to have an opinion on the matter too; it's one thing to have a war your country is involved in so many miles away, it's another to see it having a direct effect on your country; just like July 7th I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sand wrote:
    You mean you didn't here tht they were killed in a gallant rescue attempt? :v:

Advertisement