Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Renewal Ripoff

Options
  • 06-02-2006 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

I recieved my insurance renewal from quinn direct during the week, and was quoted €1900. This is €1,100 cheaper than the previous year. Since then I have changed my car, I moved from a 97, 1 litre to a 02, 1.4 litre. I also got my full lisence during the year (which when i told quinn, they gave me back about €150).

Anyway, out of interest I decided to go to the quinn direct website and get a quote from it. I put in all the correct details, and guess what......... they gave me a quote for €1,360. I rang them up and told them that they sent me out a renewal for €1,900, but I went and got a qoute off the website for €1,360. I gave them the reference number and all, but they told me that I could not have this quote because it was for new customers and meant I would be taking out a new policy. It was only when I started threatning them by reporting them to the authorities and going onto the radio to report them also that they back tracjed and gave me the insurance for €1,360.

How can they be allowed to charge such a difference. They are treating there customers like ****e. It looks as they value new customers better than customers they already have. I know the problems with quinn are legendary, but what they are doing with there current customers renewals is just pure robbery.

Just thought I let you know, and to be careful when renewing your policy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I try not to let it bother me and shop around when its time to renew.. which means i usaully change company every year saving hundreds of euro. If everyone does the same they will soon get the message. Last year for instance quinn was cheaper. this year... who knows?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

agrees with Daruman.
    You need to ring as many companys and brokers as you can.
    Everyone knows that ins cos can charge what they like and generally there is no point in complaining. You were lucky this time.

The insurance companys often say that people need to shop around yet ironically they have claimed in the past that one reason for high charges is for a lack of customer loyalty within the market!

Anyway, Personally I wouldn't waste the phonecall to Quinn!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I also agree.

Have you tried to get quotes from other insurance companies for this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

prospect wrote:
    I also agree.

Have you tried to get quotes from other insurance companies for this year?
    Yeah, and at quinns reduced rate they are the cheapest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

i posted this at the start of jan as well.

When i rang them they gave me the cheaper price no problems or questions, all i said what was stoppingn me not renewing my policy and getting a new policy online, their answer.... nothing, so they switched the prices for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I had a 106 GTI insured with a broker in Waterford for 1900 through Hibernian, I also got the quote direct from Hibernian for 2350. When the renewal came through the following year it had gone up by 50 through the broker although still from Hibernian. I got a quote direct from Hibernian for 1260. I rang the broker and told them this and said I would like to give them the business if they could match Hibernian's price. They rang Hibernian to see could they get the price down but no joy.
    That will tell you about the consistency in their pricing structure!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I recieved my insurance renewal from quinn direct during the week, and was quoted €1900. This is €1,100 cheaper than the previous year. Since then I have changed my car, I moved from a 97, 1 litre to a 02, 1.4 litre. I also got my full lisence during the year (which when i told quinn, they gave me back about €150).

Anyway, out of interest I decided to go to the quinn direct website and get a quote from it. I put in all the correct details, and guess what......... they gave me a quote for €1,360. I rang them up and told them that they sent me out a renewal for €1,900, but I went and got a qoute off the website for €1,360. I gave them the reference number and all, but they told me that I could not have this quote because it was for new customers and meant I would be taking out a new policy. It was only when I started threatning them by reporting them to the authorities and going onto the radio to report them also that they back tracjed and gave me the insurance for €1,360.

How can they be allowed to charge such a difference. They are treating there customers like ****e. It looks as they value new customers better than customers they already have. I know the problems with quinn are legendary, but what they are doing with there current customers renewals is just pure robbery.

Just thought I let you know, and to be careful when renewing your policy.

Technically at the start of ech year, you start a new policy any I think, as the contract only lasts a year, so you're perfectly entitled to take the figure on the website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

Quinn Direct are a bunch of *****. I called them last year just for a quote- gave them all my details etc and their quote was cheaper than my current insurance, but I said I would get back to them if I wanted it. Approached my current company and asked them to match this price which they did, so I didn't need the Quinn one. A few weeks after they sent me a bill - demanding payment for insurance - which I never took out... Loads of hassle with them - approach at your peril..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Another story: I got a quote, and bought and paid for it online. A week later, and no communication from them, I rang and they said they wouldn't honour the quote. Eventually (after a bit of hassle from my local TD!) they agreed, but I'd already gone elsewhere. I use them now though (no principles) becuase they're by FAR the cheapest (750 for me 27 FL 3yrs NCB, 1.5L Sera and my gf named).
    I hate the way they dont insure convertibles though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

I find though if you go to your current insurer with a cheaper quote they will match it - mine have done for the past 3 years - Axa btw. Worth a try...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

skye wrote:
    I find though if you go to your current insurer with a cheaper quote they will match it - mine have done for the past 3 years - Axa btw. Worth a try...

I have often purported to have a cheaper quote and usually manage to get a reduction from my current insurer. They rarely ask for proof provided that the fake quote is fairly credible (eg €30/40 less). I even offer to send them a copy of this non-existent quote but they usually say it's ok. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

ill give ye one of my encounters with Quinn, got quote for 2k said grand i'll take that, paid deposit over phone by credit card, credit card bill comes, they've billed the full whack owed to the card, during this time i'd sent in the debit mandate etc etc, so when i rang em they "corrected" the error and refunded the card, BUT i had to get a new mandate signed (god knows why) by the time i got the new mandate in the post id also recieved a letter saying policy had been cancelled for no payment, needless to say i rang em and they didnt wanna know.

so they're currently dealing with my solicitor cos not only do i want my deposit back, i'm doing them for defamation and affecting my credit rating (returned direct debits affect it), also being reported to the financial ombudsman

thats one of my stories, bottom line quinn direct are a bunch of cowboys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Quinn are totally sh1t. :mad:

Unfortunatly no other company would cover me for under €2000 (I know its a lot but I'm only 21). Quinn are a bit like Ryanair - absolutely no extras. For example they will not give wind-screen cover while every other company will cover wind-screen damage.

I'd agree with other posters - shop around, you can get a better deal. My father got €85 off his insurance by 'shopping around'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I don't have much sympathy for anyone who buys a product off Quinn Direct to be honest.. Never trust a Cavan man ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

I rang AXA for a quote, they quoted me 2450 for first time driving,
    I wasnt intereseted as i had got a quote for 2154 form Quinn, i then put my details on Insure.ie and i got a response quoting me 2054 through a broker, when i went to proceed my insurance company was..........AXA....this dont make sense its cheaper using a middle man

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That is often the case as the companys sell a whole bunch of policies to the brokers who can pass on the discounts.
    I recall getting insurance a good few years back from a broker and it was half the cost of dealing with the company directly.

Advertisement