Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Bargains (not Freebies)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Check out the bottom of page 272 of this thread to see that most places did have it reduced, it looks to have gone back up in some places however my local HMV still have it for 37.99 and Xtra-Vision similar, despite that post on their facebook page. Both HMV and Xtra-Vision had new copies for that price.

HMV are great for bargains these days, I picked up Sonic Generations for 16.99 the other day but noticed they also had Warhammer: Space Marine for the same price and 1200 micosoft points cards going for 11.99 (14.99 for the same in gamestop).

Rang Xtravision, Parkway S.C. in Limerick incase the guy on facebook was mistaken and they quoted 54.99 . Never known them to have different prices for different stores. I did not bother checking in store in our local HMV's because they are charging so much for it on their UK site but thats a great price for Sonic Generations, got it on Steam and I was very impressed by it. might pick it up for the kids so they will leave me poor pc alone. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

kendragon wrote: »
    I did not bother checking in store in our local HMV's because they are charging so much for it on their UK site but thats a great price for Sonic Generations, got it on Steam and I was very impressed by it. might pick it up for the kids so they will leave me poor pc alone. :D

The HMV I was in had Sonic for 16.99 on PS3 but was priced higher on XBOX. However once I asked about it they confirmed that was price was to be lower and that they hadn't gotten around to changing that section yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Spacemarine on Steam - 6.79 - worth every cent and more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭skinny malinky

Where's the best place to shop for a console in Dublin? Was in Smyths yesterday and it's €250 for a PS3. Haven't a clue about games consoles so dunno if that's good or not (I also asked the woman whether PS3 or Xbox is better and she started spouting stuff about gigabytes and lost me, but said to go with PS3 cos the internet is free whereas xbox is 20 quid a month or something... is this true?) Had a look on adverts.ie but unsure whether to trust people on that. Can anyone help me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Depends what you want from the console, who is it for, what games you like to play, if you can answer those, we may be able to help steer you in the right direction :)

RedXIV wrote: »
    Depends what you want from the console, who is it for, what games you like to play, if you can answer those, we may be able to help steer you in the right direction :)

Thanks. It's for myself. Used to have a PS2 and my favourites were Metal Gear, GTA,Medal Of Honour and Pro Evo. Literally haven't played computer games in 5 or 6 years though so I'm out of the loop. Haven't ever played an Xbox or PS3.

I loved my PS and PS2, but I've heard PS3's have a rep for breaking down easily, so I'm tempted to go with an Xbox. The woman in the shop asked me if I'd be using it for online gaming, but since I've never gamed online, I don't know if I will (i.e. I don't know if online gaming is good or not!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Wossack

sounds a ps3 would be the way to go for ya, from your history

dont believe xbox's or ps3's are any more robust then one another these days

probably in the wrong thread for all this though...

Thanks, I'll go with a PS3 then. Any suggestions where to buy it? Sorry for posting this here, only registered yesterday so I'm still finding my feet on the boards

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thanks, I'll go with a PS3 then. Any suggestions where to buy it? Sorry for posting this here, only registered yesterday so I'm still finding my feet on the boards

+1 on ps3 from me too. you have experience with ps1 and ps2, so you will feel right at home with ps3 controller. plus you will be bale to get some of older ps1 and ps2 games on psn network for nostaliga reasons. ps3 has free online too. so you can try it out and if you wont like it, then you wont lose on anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I vote PS3 as well. I chose it due to it having more exclusives that I was interested in.

But to help and keep on topic I saw on hotukdeals that Amazon are selling the 160GB model for £159.99 and the 320GB for £179.95 which is about €205 and €230 respectively. Maybe others know of cheaper prices

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭psugrue

like the person above me said, amazon are pretty good and reliable, hmv also tend to do good offers on consoles, the last time i was in there they usually offer you a 160gb console with a new game for €230 which is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

the free online and blu ray is a big thing for me , other than that the xbox is level par with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

MGS4 is exclusive to PS3 and can be picked up for about a tenner nowadays.

The MGS HD collection is on PS3 and Xbox360 and features MGS2,3 and Peacewalker in HD.

The other games listed, GTA etc, are all multiformat also.

I recently got a new PS3 160GB and the cheapest was HMV for €219 with FIFA street. (You can trade the game in for €20+ so really it costs <€200.)

This is all brilliant so far, thanks everyone. Gonna go with the 320gb (money is tight but I reckon when I'm spending so much I might aswell get the better gb).

I've compared amazon, hmv and argos and amazon seems to be the best for the console. Call of duty 4 is £20 pounds on hmv online so gonna get that as my first game.

Excited now, massive thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Had a look on adverts.ie but unsure whether to trust people on that. Can anyone help me?

It's really more a person-by-person thing, but for the most part adverts sellers are pretty trustworthy.
    And it's run by the people who run these boards too, most members visit both.

http://www.indiegala.com
    New Indie Gala.
    A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda
    ALIEN SHOOTER
    DISCIPLES II: GALLEAN'S RETURN
    ALTITUDE

and some ? bonus games.
    I'm not interested in this one. :(

http://store.steampowered.com/app/37400/
    Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Special Edition
    80 cent for two good games.

Also, MW3 free weekend starts tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

Dead Space 1 for €2.49 on steam;

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17470/

Also Dead Space 2 for €7.50;

http://store.steampowered.com/app/47780/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Playstation Store have the 2 God of War Collections for €22.99 each.

The individual games are €13.99 each

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

Serious Sam 3 BFE has 66% off at the moment on Steam
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/41070/

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

This is all brilliant so far, thanks everyone. Gonna go with the 320gb (money is tight but I reckon when I'm spending so much I might aswell get the better gb).

You are never ever going to use all that. I don't know anyone who has ever come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Andy!! wrote: »
    You are never ever going to use all that. I don't know anyone who has ever come close.

I have a 320GB HDD on my PS3 and am down to my last 40GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

lol i have a TB in mine and only have 150gb free

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Xbox i'd definitely go for a smaller HDD, sure 100GB or so would be loads. It's a right pain in the hole putting music on it, and video clips are impossible. But with the PS3, i'd get a big HDD. Or if u aren't afraid to swop out HDDs you could get the smallest one and buy a similar 1-2TB laptop HDD and save!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Or if u aren't afraid to swop out HDDs you could get the smallest one and buy a similar 1-2TB laptop HDD and save!

This is the best idea.

Xbox i'd definitely go for a smaller HDD, sure 100GB or so would be loads. It's a right pain in the hole putting music on it, and video clips are impossible. But with the PS3, i'd get a big HDD. Or if u aren't afraid to swop out HDDs you could get the smallest one and buy a similar 1-2TB laptop HDD and save!

thats what i did

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

What on earth do youz use all that space for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

...1-2TB laptop HDD and save!

∄ laptop hard drives that are 2TB. The largest is 1TB.

• Advertisement

What on earth do youz use all that space for.

games from the psn store, music, videos,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement