Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which networking exam?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

If you know nothing or very little about networking, learn to crawl before you can walk and do the Network + first. Then maybe Comptia Security +. Try to get some hands on experience with a company, then maybe consider a CCNA!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Cheers, I was thinking that the Network+ one was the basic one alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Just go straight into the CCNA if you can take the First exam in two parts beginners / Advanced (Wrong Terms but you get my meaning )

I wont bother with any of the rest, any of the Net + exams just read a book.

The two 2000 exams wont teach you too much about real life Networking imo

and the other two are security exams ......

This is based on you paying for them, if its the company ....

Just go straight into the CCNA if you can take the First exam in two parts beginners / Advanced (Wrong Terms but you get my meaning )

I wont bother with any of the rest, any of the Net + exams just read a book.

The two 2000 exams wont teach you too much about real life Networking imo

and the other two are security exams ......

This is based on you paying for them, if its the company ....

CCNA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Recommend the CCNA also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

py2006 wrote:
    CCNA?
    Cisco Certified Network Associate, the defacto entry level networking standard.

zabbo wrote:
    Cisco Certified Network Associate, the defacto entry level networking standard.

Oh I see!

There appears to be two different ones at fasnetcollege:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CISCO-Interconnecting Network Devices[/FONT] **
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CISCO-Internetworking Technologies[/FONT] **

Neither of which appear to be for beginners or am I mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

py2006 wrote:
    Oh I see!

There appears to be two different ones at fasnetcollege:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CISCO-Interconnecting Network Devices[/FONT] **
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CISCO-Internetworking Technologies[/FONT] **

Neither of which appear to be for beginners or am I mistaken?
    CCNA definitely. The CCNA can be done in 1 full exam (640-801 CCNA) or in two parts (640-821 INTRO & 640-811 ICND)

CISCO-Internetworking Technologies = INTRO
    CISCO-Interconnecting Network Devices = ICND

It will cost more in Exam fees to do the exams seperately but you are probably better off doing them this way. CCNA is not that hard to get your head around - I presume you are already working in the IT industry or have some knowledge of computers already?

axer wrote:
    CCNA definitely. The CCNA can be done in 1 full exam (640-801 CCNA) or in two parts (640-821 INTRO & 640-811 ICND)

CISCO-Internetworking Technologies = INTRO
    CISCO-Interconnecting Network Devices = ICND

It will cost more in Exam fees to do the exams seperately but you are probably better off doing them this way. CCNA is not that hard to get your head around - I presume you are already working in the IT industry or have some knowledge of computers already?

Yep, I teach ECDL and have done a spot of web design in the past! So I am quite handy on a pc!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

py2006 wrote:
    Yep, I teach ECDL and have done a spot of web design in the past! So I am quite handy on a pc!
    Then you should be fine doing the CCNA. Just out of interest did you have to do some sort of ECDL trainers course to teach it? just wondering for myself.

• Advertisement

axer wrote:
    Then you should be fine doing the CCNA. Just out of interest did you have to do some sort of ECDL trainers course to teach it? just wondering for myself.

Yea, I did the JEB Teachers Diploma in ICT!

Advertisement