Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I watch the OC?

• 06-02-2006 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi

I've heard a lot of good and bad things about the OC. I think it looks pretty good but dont have time to watch it on TV. I was thinking of buying one of the box sets but would like to get some opinions on the show first

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

Lorri_L wrote:
    Hi

I've heard a lot of good and bad things about the OC. I think it looks pretty good but dont have time to watch it on TV. I was thinking of buying one of the box sets but would like to get some opinions on the show first
    its really good. i borrowed the first season on dvd from a friend and i was hooked and now i own season one and season two but i would recomend borrowing first because you really have to make up your own mind about the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmoney

Yeah its good but would definitely recomend one tree hill also if its the whole teenage highschool drama is thats what your after. They have season one of it out on dvd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

cmoney wrote:
    Yeah its good but would definitely recomend one tree hill also if its the whole teenage highschool drama is thats what your after.
    I'd second that, i'd even say it's better than the oc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Wow, I opened this expecting the usual load of "the oc sucks" replies that always appear in OC threads. Very surprised there are none! Personally I love the OC, it might not be the most intelligent programme in the world but it's entertaining! I'd definitely recommend the boxsets for it and One Tree Hill too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

you'll either love it or loathe it. I wouldn't buy the box sets though. i'm a fan and i wouldn't, it just doesn't have much re-watch value.

It has gone down a bit in the 3rd series as its kind of getting repetitious. but the 1st is brilliant. 2nd was good but there were about 5 or 6 eppisodes where i got the feeling that the writers just weren't bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I hadn't seen any of this in ages, not that I ever really watched it except on a hangover Sunday afternoon. Never really minded it to be honest and it was sometimes entertaining. Anyway, caught one on T4 Sunday last weekend, think it's the new series, but I had to turn it off after about 20 minutes. I just couldn't watch any more of it. It was just awful and even started to annoy me :(
    i got the feeling that the writers just weren't bothered
    Like they mixed up the scripts of 90210 and Dawson's creak and came out with a new episode of the OC?

I never really loved or loathed it, but after Sunday I do now. Loathe that is.

Actually, to answer Lorri_L's question "Should I watch the OC?" it's a matter of personal prefeerence isn't it. If you like the show then you should watch it regardless of what others think. I wouldn't recommend buying the box set of a show I didn't really watch though. You might realise you don't like it and then you've wasted €50 on crap. You could try borrowing the DVDs from someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Lorri_L wrote:
    Hi

In My opinion, the show started off very well, but is going steadily downhill. The same basic storylines are getting recycled, and some of the new su#tuff they're coming up with is embarrassing.
    eg
    Julie Cooper's playacting as she tries to keep her opulent lifestyle (notice, she always hatches a plot which involves selling Ryan up the river, even if Ryan is in no way involved with the storyline at all)

Ryan's brooding and smouldering act, and Seth keeping things from him so he won't go off the deep end and beat someone up (stupid for two reasons, first, the guy is not physically imposing, second, someone wound up that tight needs to be on ridalin or something)

Marissa's "Oh My God I just can't handle this! / How could you do this to me!" Routine whic is getting old.

Jimmy's persistant financial troubles, which are plain downright funny, not dramatic. Let's face it, the guy can't stay away from shady investments

The lame attempts to introduce new characters with whom the main characters have a brief fling, before they conveniently scamper off stage.

In conclusion, the OC is going from good to average to bad to awful to tripe to TV3 standard television, eventually it'll be as bad as charmed

But that's just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

I've often wondered the same question.

As a fan of 90210 it's possible that OC might be something I'd enjoy, and I have friends who love it, but I've never been curious enough to jump in.

If it's just a re-hash of 90210, then maybe there's no point in bothering with it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BigMama5000

Its so class but depends what you like if you like teen shows go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Four words. My so called life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

If you like teen shows go for it! Its great imo! I don't really read into my shows after all its meant to be entertaining!! The third season gets better btw! maybe you should watch a cuple of shows befor buying the box set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

I was a big fan of Series 1, got the box set off a friend and it was class to have it, it left the series on such a class cliff hanger...

Got a loan of the second season and was delighted I didn't buy it, went way down hill... about to start the 3rd just out of boredom and hoping it will be as good as the 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

should you watch it?

well no one can tell you but you.

personally i hate the show, but that's what's great about life, with so many people they are all bound to have different tastes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Watch the first season, it's quite watchable. Anything after that is rubbish though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Question: Should you watch the OC?

Answer: Don't call it that, and no, watch Arrested Devlopment or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

BopNiblets wrote:
    Question: Should you watch the OC?

Answer: Don't call it that, and no, watch Lost or something.

Fixed.

qz wrote:
    Fixed.

Ah, but the "Don't Call It That" joke only works for Arrested Development...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

And that's why qz fails at watching good TV. :p

Watching Lost AND AD will make you teh winnar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Its one of those shows that you like then loathe, the actors base their acting intelligence on their looks, you notice that every single person on that show is either a model or a stud! the girls are hot btw. nothing else entertains me on it. just reminds me of a rehash Dawson's creek.

BopNiblets wrote:
    Watching Lost AND AD AND 24 will make you teh winnar.

Fixed :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

You should definetly check it out. I only saw the very first episode of this last November on craftytv after years of presuming it was crap. I was wrong, and downloaded every single episode off limewire. I've even passed out the current series on TG4, the next new episode in the U.S airs next thursday, I think.

The moral of the story, dont dismiss things because others do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

There is no reason to ever ever watch the OC.
    rots the brain and is completely mindless tripe.
    Dawsons Creek with richer "kids". load of bs tbh.

watch a documentry or news instead, keep the mind healthy.
    its the type of show were u see everything so clearly yet u still watch the tripe.
    crud characters to try and relate real life to aswell (makes me laugh).
    ugh, typing further is just angering me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

4Xcut wrote:
    you'll either love it or loathe it. I wouldn't buy the box sets though. i'm a fan and i wouldn't, it just doesn't have much re-watch value.

It has gone down a bit in the 3rd series as its kind of getting repetitious. but the 1st is brilliant. 2nd was good but there were about 5 or 6 eppisodes where i got the feeling that the writers just weren't bothered.

I've watched the first series four or five times now at this stage...

Jazzy wrote:
    There is no reason to ever ever watch the OC.
    rots the brain and is completely mindless tripe.
    Dawsons Creek with richer "kids". load of bs tbh.

watch a documentry or news instead, keep the mind healthy.
    its the type of show were u see everything so clearly yet u still watch the tripe.
    crud characters to try and relate real life to aswell (makes me laugh).
    ugh, typing further is just angering me...

Well, you see, I do watch news and documentarys too. Dawsons Creek was a load of ****e, clearly just rubbish made for teens. The O.C is actually really funny, which is one of the main reasons I watch it, it's not stupid, it doesn't insult you. Plus Sandy Cohen is a legend.

It doesn't rot my brain, if I wanted that to happen I would watch Fair City, but I don't. Give it a try, I was once like you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

nah mate, dont have a vagina yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Well, you see, I do watch news and documentarys too. Dawsons Creek was a load of ****e, clearly just rubbish made for teens. The O.C is actually really funny, which is one of the main reasons I watch it, it's not stupid, it doesn't insult you. Plus Sandy Cohen is a legend.

It doesn't rot my brain, if I wanted that to happen I would watch Fair City, but I don't. Give it a try, I was once like you.

Funny? Its funny like shoving 2inch nails through each of my eyes! This show is bad news, especially for teens. I would not let my teenage daughter watch this tripe.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Watch season 1 and then forget about it.

OC returns on Thursday night!! Episode 16 of season 3 I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I love the OC, it rocks!

What I'm waiting for though is yer wan to come back with Ryan's baby!! What was her name again, wasn't that the first series? She said she miscarried the baby, but in fact gave birth, so he doesn't know he's got a son!

I wonder will they bring her back?

• Advertisement

I don't know if its been shown here yet, but he does run into her when he goes back to his hometown, but still knows nothing about the kid. Also Seth becomes a stoner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yah I've seen that episode, sure I watch them as they come out in the states. I wanted to know if he finds out he has a kid or not! :)

Advertisement