Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend a garage (quick repair), Dublin 7 - ford focus

Options
  • 06-02-2006 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello,

I have a ford Focus which seems to have a fuel pump problem, or something along those lines. It won’t start now at all so will need to be towed to a garage for repair.

The problem is my partner has her driving test in the car on this Thursday (and is not used to driving any other car) I have spent the morning ringing ford garages and some non-franshise and can’t get anyone to fit it until Thursday the earliest.

Can anyone recommend a garage who could may be able to look at this sooner?

Thanks for any help,

Adrian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

hi Adrian,
    what makes you think its fuel pump related?.when you turn the ignition key to position 2 can you hear a noise coming from the back seat?.
    if you can then thats the fuel pump priming the fuel system.
    i changed my fuel pump at 100'000 miles,just to be on the safe side,and if was still working.
    i believe the ignition coil can give trouble on the 'focus',i think it was something to do with the sparkplug gap being to big ie putting a strain on the coil & leads.i know the mondeo s/plug gap was changed from 1.3 to 1.0.

also check that the fuel cut off switch has not triggered.
    you will find it's location in your owners manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

meanwhile you could find a driving school who uses a Focus and arrange a few lessons in their car, and use of their car on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hey man, if you read this in time and have no other options hire one, the girlfriends focus had a problem with something misfiring and could not get a time slot in the garage to fit it, she had to go for a job interview and as I was away for the day I hired one for her, 35 quid for the day, small price to pay instead of waiting so long again for another test, best of luck to yous

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ginger83 wrote:
    Hey man, if you read this in time and have no other options hire one, the girlfriends focus had a problem with something misfiring and could not get a time slot in the garage to fit it, she had to go for a job interview and as I was away for the day I hired one for her, 35 quid for the day, small price to pay instead of waiting so long again for another test, best of luck to yous

I think this suituation is slightly different as the OP's partner is doing her driving test so she doesn't have a full licence yet. She more than likely is not covered by insurance to drive a rental car if she don't already have a full licence. Nearly all car rental companies will not rent to a provisional licence holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭AdrianC

bazz26 wrote:
    Nearly all car rental companies will not rent to a provisional licence holder.

Yep, had thought of that but need full license.

She has booked a car with a driving school for the test, so that is sorted.

Tried the fuel cut off and that’s not the problem. Not sure what it is really, but will know later in the week I guess.

Thanks everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

There's a garage in Grangegorman (no seriously!) Just off the N.C.R.
    Forrester Motors 01 8387671 087 2596130

And as there's a main Ford dealer just down the road, he'll probably be quick to get any parts needed.

I used them once before as they were recommended to me by a friend, seemed fine.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do driving schools not let you hire one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Ginger83

If you go out to Mahony's in Kilbarrack they will give you a car for the day while your car is being repaired regardless of licence!!!

Advertisement