Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants on Social Welfare?

Options
  • 06-02-2006 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

I've been renting out a house for a few months now and had to let the old tenants go. A couple on social welfare/rent allowance are now interested in renting it out....Can anyone tell me if, as a landlord, there is any difference between tenants on social welfare and tenants paying the full rent themselves?

I've heard tell that it's almost better to have tenants on social welfare as the Govt will only subsidise one deposit payment ie. the tenant must get the deposit back from the landlord in full as the Government will not pay a second deposit amount...

As you can tell, not very sure about whats involved....

Comments

Just make sure you fully comply with the law, declare all income (not suggesting you weren't of course, but you know...), use a rent book, register the property with the residential tenancies board, know the provisions of the residential tenancies legislation etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

It is like renting to anybody else expect there are a few forms you sign every now and then but no real hasle after that. They do unfortunately have more social problems which can be a problem. They can be great for long term rents if you can be a bit understanding , one tenant for 9 years and another for 6 years (I helped them move into their new house when they were leaving).

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Thanks - I figure no-one could be worse then the "professionals" I had in the place until recently (who lived with a blocked soil pipe leaking into the garden for 3 months without saying anything and left 3 months-worth of bins in the back garden). This landlord lark is a real upward learning curve!:rolleyes:

Advertisement