Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Coddle

Options
  • 06-02-2006 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Anyone got a good receipe for Coddle?

Been talking about it in work, there's a lot of conflicting methods for making it. What do you reckon. Potatoes mashed or not? Gravy or stock? Veg? Everyone agrees on the whole boiling the sausages & rashers anyway.

They all sound nice to me, just wanna know what the best way is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

I like to put a bit of curry in occasionally for a change.
    (but normally dont mash, dont gravy and carrot as only other veg)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

My nanny makes it with tomatoes, and now i can't eat the normal kind without feeling weird...(i know shes mad)
    Also unmashed potatoes, stock, lots of carrots...mmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lorcul

So let me get this right. Its Rashers, sasuages,stock, carrots and potatoes. Do you not need to thicken it.
    Always wondered what was in coddle

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭macfran

I use the thick dinner sausages and collar rashers or bacon pieces,the bacon offcut pieces from Aldi or Lidl are ideal, carrots and onions, a chicken oxo cube, mixed herbs,garlic and potatoes some of which I dice so they boil to nothing and help to thicken the coddle. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Yeh Macfran, sounds like you got it down to a T there!
    That's what I was lookin for, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lorcul

Thanks macfran. Gonna give it a try later in week!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

macfran wrote:
    I use the thick dinner sausages and collar rashers or bacon pieces,the bacon offcut pieces from Aldi or Lidl are ideal, carrots and onions, a chicken oxo cube, mixed herbs,garlic and potatoes some of which I dice so they boil to nothing and help to thicken the coddle. Delicious.

Boo, no carrots! Sacrilege, Carrots in Irish Stew not coddle. Might try it with some mixed herbs and garlic though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

My gran (from the Liberties) always put barley in her coddle. Yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

If you're feeling really lazy, a packet of Knorr potato soup can be a fantastic base for a coddle. Like snickerpuss, I also throw in a couple of tomatoes, after tasting them in the coddle served in the Wicked Chef Cafe. They're a good addition, adding a subtle zing to the whole experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Mmmm - I'm getting hungry. I'm gonna make one of these at the weekend - I haven't had one in years. I reckon I'll probably chop a chilli or two into it jsut to add a spicey twist. I'm a sucker for chillis!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Rashers, sausages, onions sliced, veg/chicken stock and a little bit of mixed herbs. Chop it all up into bite size put into a big pot at number 5 and leave for 40 mins. Its much better the next day. Also someone already mentioned, a bit of sherwoods curry powder is yummy in it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

My granny did the tomatoes too. If I can remember it was just sausages, rashers, potatoes, onions water & tomatoes left to boil for a decade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

tried it once,didnt like it at all,the stewing of bacon and sausages just does`nt do it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Any person I've ever mentioned it to (not from Dublin) thinks even the thought of it is disgusting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

sausages, rashers, onions and carrots. boiled. in water.

at the end remove the ingredients from the liquid, and stir some gravy granules into the liquid to your own taste.

recombine and serve with some boiled potatoes.

i have heard of people making a coddle based on milk. - which sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Ay Cee wrote:
    Any person I've ever mentioned it to (not from Dublin) thinks even the thought of it is disgusting :D

i've (and by "i've" i mean my gf) served it to a few italians - who've loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It has to be cooked low and slow.

My nanny always called it a "whore's dinner".
    If business was good they just added more water and left it simmer for another while.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 EllieN

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    sausages, rashers, onions and carrots. boiled. in water.

at the end remove the ingredients from the liquid, and stir some gravy granules into the liquid to your own taste.

recombine and serve with some boiled potatoes.

i have heard of people making a coddle based on milk. - which sounds interesting.

My Dad used to make Coddle this way. The sausages and/or bacon, onions and potatoes were cooked in water, then the water drained off and milk and a lump of butter added. It was yummy but I just can't recreate it-just doesn't taste the same :confused:

He also cooked tripe the same way and it had to be 'honeycomb' tripe-nothing else would do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

1lb of bacon pieces
    1lb of sausages
    1 large onion
    4 large carrots
    1 tblsp of barley soup mix
    6 large potatoes
    3 tsp of corn flour
    3 black pepper corns
    1 bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, bay leaf, basil, sometimes rosemary)
    1 litre of pre boiled water.
    1 knob of butter

Cook off the bacon in the butter and then add in the chopped onion ( if you wish or leave and put in whole when the water is added ) when it is sauteed
    add in the water. Add the rest of the ingrediants except for the corn flower and how to simmer for an hour. Then add the cornflower to thick over the next 1/2 hour eat then or leave for as long as you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Never made this before, so I said I'd give it a shot.

Have put in:
    8 or 9 small potatoes (new potatoes)
    2 rashers
    2 sausages
    1 big carrot
    a few cloves of garlic
    an onion
    (all chopped up)
    added some mixed herb
    and I'm going to add the chicken stock in later.

Not sure how long to leave it heat up for, but I'm going to see how it looks like after an hour or so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Carrot
    Leeks
    Rashers
    Sausages
    Potato and Leek soup
    Potatos

All boiled together, with plenty of pepper. Yum!

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

My ex made coddle for me once (I'm not from Dublin, he was) and I loved it! Going to have to make it soon using the hints from here!!

Man, that was yummeh! Will make it again, albeit with less water.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

Our one is red, tins of tomatoes, curry power, sausages boiled, ham and potatos. I'm sure there is another few things thrown in there but have not made it myself yet. Getting hungry now thinking bout it, yum!

the_syco wrote: »
    Never made this before, so I said I'd give it a shot.

Have put in:
    8 or 9 small potatoes (new potatoes)
    2 rashers
    2 sausages
    1 big carrot
    a few cloves of garlic
    an onion
    (all chopped up)
    added some mixed herb
    and I'm going to add the chicken stock in later.

Not sure how long to leave it heat up for, but I'm going to see how it looks like after an hour or so...
    Will be adding white pudding, rosemary, and more. Anything that you think adds nice stuff, tell me. May add some parmesan cheese as well.

Will be making this again. A few things:

Cook for 3 hours. Good for that night, great the next day. Why the next day, you ask? Well, the potatoes will pretty much liquidfy overnight, so it'll be more like a think soup the next day.

If you get any sort of flavoured sausage, keep in mind that the sausage will be flavourless after 3 hours in the pot, with the flavour being sucked up by the spuds, so try to get sausage with a high pork percentage (80% or more) to have a better meal.

Another thing I'll be doing different this time will be that I'll get everything ready, and add only oil to the bottom of the pot. After the pot heats up, I'll fry the onion and rasher for a few minutes to get a bit of flavour, and then add the stock, and the rest of the contents.

Herbs, like rosemary, adds a nice spice to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭danois

I love coddle, but kids just refuse to eat the sausages from it they say they look horrible with no colour. So I take the kids sausages out and give them a quick fry to brown them up a bit and they love love love it then.

danois wrote: »
    I love coddle, but kids just refuse to eat the sausages from it they say they look horrible with no colour. So I take the kids sausages out and give them a quick fry to brown them up a bit and they love love love it then.
    Aye, I admit they do look a bit odd alright :D

My latest creation:

attachment.php?attachmentid=136480&stc=1&d=1290727285

Sorry about the quality, it was only the camera phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Im sure its lovely, but it aint a Dublin Coddle.

Also, these people who are putting carrots in a coddle must be the same sorts who put beans in a full irish breakfast. Culchie infiltrators.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Coddle, none of your fancy ****e:

Heres whats not in it:

Herbs - No garnis or bouquets of 6 different types of herbs which only became available in Dublin in 1983.
    Dried Herbs - no chance. Jesus garnish with some chopped parsley at the end if you absolutely insist on being a fancy dan.
    Fancy 99% pork sausages. Use real Dublin sausages - Kearns or Olhausen with a decent fat content.
    Garlic - Its not a Paris coddle ffs
    Tomatoes! - wtf
    Curry Power - LOL!
    Cheese - me bollix
    Corn flour - It doesnt need fake thickening agents if cooked correctly

It doesnt matter if your great granny from Prussia Street added any of this ****e or if she boiled her knickers in it for extra flavour tbh, just stop arguing and leave it out.

Whats actually in a coddle:

Sausages - 1 pound
    5 or 6 Thick-sliced rashers diced into big hunks. Bacon pieces and the like might do also, but make sure its nice and fatty, none of this lean cuisine bollix.
    Chicken or beef stock, or just water if youve sold all your oxo cubes to kids as fake hash - about 1/2 or 3/4 of a pint
    Potatoes - 2 pounds
    Onions - 2

There is an argument for including barley in there. IMO, this is for yuppies from the liberties to lord it over the rest of us and is to be discouraged.

Take a large thick based saucepan and lightly fry a pound of proper dublin sausages and a wodge of diced thick cut rashers in a bit of butter until the juices run free from the bacon and the texture firms ever so slightly in the sausages. Do not colour the sausages or bacon, you only need to heat them through and release that lovely juice.

Crumble a part of a stock cube into two cups of hot water in a container, mix, and add to the saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 mins on a low heat. Remove the meat and reserve the broth. Try not to drink the broth. If you do, start again.

Take two pounds of peeled potatoes, not fancy smancy new potatoes - this is a winter dish - and chop into inch thick rounds. The potatoes should NOT completely dissolve in the dish, thats a potato soup, not a coddle. They should soften and absorb the flavours and dissolve a bit round the edges and starchify and thicken the dish by the time we are done, but you will still know you are eating a spud when you put your fork into them.

Chop 2 large onions into thin slices.

Add a layer of potatoes to the bottom of the pan, then a layer of onions. Season with salt (a little) and pepper (go for your life). Chop the sausages into 3 pieces, add a layer, then a layer of bacon pieces. Add another layer of spuds, onions, seasoning, meat and finally a last layer of spuds, again seasoned with a little salt and pepper. Pour over the broth, it should not quite come up to the top of your top layer of spuds.

Cook on a low heat for about an hour or an hour and a half. Go down your local and start an argument about the economy while you are waiting, coddle tastes perfect when youve about four pints of stout in you and are hanging for something salty. Bring yourself home another can or two if you still have a job, might as well. Can be reheated just as easy the next day - to do this turn on the heat under the pot, or if you are lazy, get your mot to do it, you cooked the bleedin dinner yesterday anyways.

Advertisement