Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Coddle

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ciarani

CiaranC wrote: »
    Coddle, none of your fancy ****e:

Heres whats not in it:

Herbs - No garnis or bouquets of 6 different types of herbs which only became available in Dublin in 1983.
    Dried Herbs - no chance. Jesus garnish with some chopped parsley at the end if you absolutely insist on being a fancy dan.
    Fancy 99% pork sausages. Use real Dublin sausages - Kearns or Olhausen with a decent fat content.
    Garlic - Its not a Paris coddle ffs
    Tomatoes! - wtf
    Curry Power - LOL!
    Cheese - me bollix
    Corn flour - It doesnt need fake thickening agents if cooked correctly

It doesnt matter if your great granny from Prussia Street added any of this ****e or if she boiled her knickers in it for extra flavour tbh, just stop arguing and leave it out.

Whats actually in a coddle:

Sausages - 1 pound
    5 or 6 Thick-sliced rashers diced into big hunks. Bacon pieces and the like might do also, but make sure its nice and fatty, none of this lean cuisine bollix.
    Chicken or beef stock, or just water if youve sold all your oxo cubes to kids as fake hash - about 1/2 or 3/4 of a pint
    Potatoes - 2 pounds
    Onions - 2

There is an argument for including barley in there. IMO, this is for yuppies from the liberties to lord it over the rest of us and is to be discouraged.

Take a large thick based saucepan and lightly fry a pound of proper dublin sausages and a wodge of diced thick cut rashers in a bit of butter until the juices run free from the bacon and the texture firms ever so slightly in the sausages. Do not colour the sausages or bacon, you only need to heat them through and release that lovely juice.

Crumble a part of a stock cube into two cups of hot water in a container, mix, and add to the saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 mins on a low heat. Remove the meat and reserve the broth. Try not to drink the broth. If you do, start again.

Take two pounds of peeled potatoes, not fancy smancy new potatoes - this is a winter dish - and chop into inch thick rounds. The potatoes should NOT completely dissolve in the dish, thats a potato soup, not a coddle. They should soften and absorb the flavours and dissolve a bit round the edges and starchify and thicken the dish by the time we are done, but you will still know you are eating a spud when you put your fork into them.

Chop 2 large onions into thin slices.

Add a layer of potatoes to the bottom of the pan, then a layer of onions. Season with salt (a little) and pepper (go for your life). Chop the sausages into 3 pieces, add a layer, then a layer of bacon pieces. Add another layer of spuds, onions, seasoning, meat and finally a last layer of spuds, again seasoned with a little salt and pepper. Pour over the broth, it should not quite come up to the top of your top layer of spuds.

Cook on a low heat for about an hour or an hour and a half. Go down your local and start an argument about the economy while you are waiting, coddle tastes perfect when youve about four pints of stout in you and are hanging for something salty. Bring yourself home another can or two if you still have a job, might as well. Can be reheated just as easy the next day - to do this turn on the heat under the pot, or if you are lazy, get your mot to do it, you cooked the bleedin dinner yesterday anyways.

class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Who the hell puts a stock cube in it, talk about mank.
    It's not needed.

Made some more this evening and yes all the herbs were ones which grow here :P

5218935330_225908e9d7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,382 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cheese in a coddle wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

Now this might sound strange but my Mother-in-law puts eggs into hers.:confused: She cracks them in when it's almost finished and on the boil. Now I've Never made it with eggs, I actually thought he was winding me up when he first told me!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭davi78

My da told me that coddle was not only sausages etc, but anything that was left over. Just feck it all in the pot. If it needed to be thickened, whack in a lump of white pudding...the proper stuff that you buy in a ring from the butchers. Also, he always leaves the potatoes and onions whole.

Huge hunks of carrot that get all soft and sweet, potatoes that you know are potatoes, proper sausages (as already stated by someone), enough liquid to soak the heal of a batch loaf and you're on your way!!

He also has another trick...if you've stale crusty brown bread, throw that in too!!

Coddle is a great way to use up things that you've got left over as well as a family staple that got us through God knows how many recessions!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

made a big pot of Coddle This Evening

12 sausages (boiled)
    10 streaky rashers (boiled)
    carrots
    celery
    baked potatoes chopped
    onions
    2 packets of knorr patato and leek
    salt
    pepper

let all that brew together and you have yourself a proper coddle:)

delishhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

mark17j wrote: »

12 sausages (boiled)
    carrots
    celery
    baked potatoes chopped
    onions
    salt
    pepper

delishhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That's not a coddle, see CiaranC's post!

Streaky rasher? Carrots? CELERY? BAKED potatoes? Knorr?

Definitely not a Dub!!!!!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mark17j wrote: »

12 sausages (boiled)
    carrots
    celery
    baked potatoes chopped
    onions
    salt
    pepper

delishhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

deliciously salty, I'd say, what with all that packet soup, rashers, sausages and salt!:D:D
    Probably more salt added at the table?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

That's not a coddle, see CiaranC's post!

Streaky rasher? Carrots? CELERY? BAKED potatoes? Knorr?

Definitely not a Dub!!!!!!!

:D

oh i am a Dub lol born and rared... that's just the way I like it..
    cooking it with just plain water or oxo cubes wouldn't tickle my taste buds enough lol i'm aware that's the way they prepared it in the rare auld times..
    it seems everybody has their own unique way of making it.
    deliciously salty, I'd say, what with all that packet soup, rashers, sausages and salt!
    Probably more salt added at the table?

mmm all that salt, heaven:D... what's a coddle without a tonne of salt included. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

I find coddle WAY too salty, and I like salty food as a general rule.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The idea of a coddle was to cook everything (whatever was to hand and cheap) at a temperature just below boiling point.

Candidates for veg included turnip, kale, onion (whole), leek, spuds (whole, peeled winter kind) and a handful or two of pearl-barley, again whatever was in season and cheap, plentiful.

It was customary when I ate coddle to have an egg per diner as described above at the serving stage and white pepper was an absolute must.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

I'm just waiting on some sausages to defrost before cooking up a Coddle for eating tomorrow.

Ingredients:
    • 6x Pale Cure Back Rashers, chopped into bite-sized pieces
    • 6x Sausages (kinda between a breakfast sized and a dinner sized)
    • 1.5x White Onion, diced
    • 2x Carrots, cut in half length-ways and then chopped into half-moons (fairly thin)
    • Spuds... hard to say how much really, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces. Took half a softball-sized spud and diced it small to thicken broth.
    • A pinch or two of curry powder
    • Sprinkling of some dried parsley (not sure on measurements, whatever you fancy)
    • I might add in a small handful of Barley too, but unsure atm.

So, here's how I make it:

1. Boil the sausages for a few minutes... take out of the pot and leave to cool for a few minutes before chopping into bite-sized pieces.
    2. While waiting for the sausages to cool, add the onion, carrot and rashers to the pot and bring to the boil.
    3. Once you've chopped the sausages then add them back into the pot along with any juices that came out of them.
    4. (If adding Barley do so now)
    5. About 40 minutes before the cooking is finished you need to add the spuds. It would be at this stage I would add the dried herbs too.
    6. About 10 minutes before the cooking is finished add the finely diced spuds to thicken the broth.
    7. (There is nothing to say you can't add some cornflour just before it is finsihed cooking if the broth is too thin for your liking).
    8. I don't really have a cooking time for it... it'll be done when the spuds are nice and soft, but not gone to mush... it's ok if some of them go to mush cos it'll thicken the broth further. Trust your own instincts :rolleyes:
    9. Salt and Pepper to taste
    It is so much better the day after you've made it in order to give the flavours time to mingle together. There are no hard and fast rules to making a Coddle... just make it as you like it... if you like lentils in it then add them. Recipes are there to be tweaked to your liking. No-one can tell you you are 'wrong' for adding (or not adding) a particular ingredient. Afterall, aren't rules there to be broken!!

Above all else, enjoy Coddle...it might look like something you puke up after a night on the batter but it's wonderfully delicious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Quorum wrote: »
    I find coddle WAY too salty, and I like salty food as a general rule.

Possible solution could be for you boil the Rashers and Sausages and then drain off about half of that liquid?? Personally I dont cos I love the saltiness of it. But fully get that it could be too salty for some ppls tastes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

My mother used to make it with kidneys. Never did like that part.

I make it with sausages, carrots, onions and potatoes, boiled until the spuds are tender. At the last couple of minutes, I stir in leftover cooked ham or bacon, shredded, lots of chopped fresh parsley and salt and pepper. Serve with lots of crusty white bread and real butter.

I could go for a bowl of that good stuff right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Like Mark, I make mine with a Leek and Potato Soup. And very similar to that receipe. And I am a real dub.

My Granny (Lord rest her soul, threw in a packet of soup always) so thats the way I make it. My friend and I were going on about coddle and her mother (again long passed on now) was from the Inner City (Pearse St.) and they also made it with a packet of soup. So that's going back at least one or two generations. Round our way, thats the way all the neighbours made coddle. If you had said, that's not real recipe, they probably would have told you to "Leave it out" :)

Like us, they also made Goody(coming up to payday) and a Guggy egg in a cup! As did we. Sometimes recipes become "real" by the way people adapt them and thats good too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

anewme wrote: »
    Like Mark, I make mine with a Leek and Potato Soup. And very similar to that receipe. And I am a real dub.

My Granny (Lord rest her soul, threw in a packet of soup always) so thats the way I make it. My friend and I were going on about coddle and her mother (again long passed on now) was from the Inner City (Pearse St.) and they also made it with a packet of soup. So that's going back at least one or two generations. Round our way, thats the way all the neighbours made coddle. If you had said, that's not real recipe, they probably would have told you to "Leave it out" :)

Like us, they also made Goody(coming up to payday) and a Guggy egg in a cup! As did we. Sometimes recipes become "real" by the way people adapt them and thats good too I think.

Oh yes packet of Leek and Potato all the way absolutely no different than throwing in a stock cube it's the same basic stuff, makes a brilliant base for the rest of the coddle. Although ders absolutely lashings of salt between the soup and the Rashers, so i wouldnt be adding any more! Another thing is if the sausage skin puts ya off (as it does with me sometimes) Denny and Tesco do skinless sausages that are the business in a coddle. Tesco ones are cheap as chips they're only like 1.69 in Galway for a pack of 16 and delicious too!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

looks like a plate of willy s but saying that a coddle tastes great.i cant eat the sausages though il eat the ham or bacon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

ann0 wrote: »
    looks like a plate of willy s but saying that a coddle tastes great.i cant eat the sausages though il eat the ham or bacon

Ah jaysus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:I closed this thread yesterday in error. It's open again, so bring on the coddle worship :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

I made Coddle for the first time about a month ago.
    The thoughts of tasting those boiled sausages were killing me!!!
    But It was really gorgeous, made it again last week and just as nice.

Can't believe such a simple dish was so tasty.
    Didn't need to thicken it with soup btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I make mine with bite-sized pieces of green back rashers or shredded boiled ham & whole sausages (not browned!). Veg is thinly sliced rounds of carrots, & diced onion. Stock is made from Chicken Oxo cubes. I'd also add a bay leaf & some thyme if I had them.

The important bit...
    Spuds are in sliced discs of varying thickness. The thinnest slices disintegrate & thicken the liquor. The thicker slices give some texture.

HillBilly I was tempted to add herbs etc also, but I was trying to replicate the classic dish.
    I reckoned back in the day they didn't have herbs etc.
    I was tempted to add garlic also but didn't.

Might try the herbs next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Inspired by this thread, the mrs went and got the sausages and rashers for this. I'll probably cook it Friday to have on Saturday.

Going to follow the recipe posted by CiaranC years ago, although I'm informed he's since gone full yuppie and now actually uses the barley.

Best of Luck, let us know how you get on!!
    Just make sure you make it the day before you want it eat it.

Advertisement