Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband - Getting Connected - NTL

• 06-02-2006 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi - I've got NTL broadband at home. I've a cable modem & I've just got a wireless router from Sitecom. Broadband works fine on my PC. I've just bought a laptop. It's got an inbuilt wireless card. I've set it up that it's recognising the wireless router. Problem is that I can't access the internet. I have it configured to automatically pick up the IP and DNS address. Any ideas how to get this working?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

if the modem and router are connected. Unplug the modem, plug it back in. That should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BobbyFowler

No joy there. My PC is also connected to the cable modem & the broadband is working fine. Is there a problem sharing the connection between the two (PC & Laptop)?

I'm assuming you are going.

Cable Modem -> Router -> PC (with cable)/Laptop (Wireless).

Try pinging your router from your laptop. Make sure your laptop is getting it's IP from YOUR router (not another one nearby).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Hi Bobby

Just did a similar setup yesterday....

Connect everything up, Power everything Off.
    Power NTL modem on first, wait 30 seconds
    Power New router on, wait 30 seconds
    Power on PC...

This may do it - it allows each device to discover its new ip one by one. I was having trouble and this sequence worked

I'm banging 'me head off the wall. Tried the on/off thing but it's not working. It doesn't seem to be picking up the IP address, so the Gateway is always down as unreachable. IP address seems to be ok as I set it up, but when it reboots, it's 0.0.0.0. NTL say that it should pick it up automatically. Doesn't seem to be doing it. I don't have the modem connected to the PC anymore.

• Advertisement

whats the router model?

I set up a linksys wrt54g yesterday... install went a bit wrong but its grand now...

I'm banging 'me head off the wall. Tried the on/off thing but it's not working. It doesn't seem to be picking up the IP address, so the Gateway is always down as unreachable. IP address seems to be ok as I set it up, but when it reboots, it's 0.0.0.0. NTL say that it should pick it up automatically. Doesn't seem to be doing it. I don't have the modem connected to the PC anymore.

That sounds like it isn't connected. Are you sure everything is hooked up properly?

had a similar issue yesterday...

had to reinstall tcp protocol to get my machine to pick up ip's... messing round changing from router to modem and back seemed to have confused the machine... it got to the stage it just refused to renew any ips...

reinstalling tcp worked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

My PC is also connected to the cable modem & the broadband is working fine.

I assume pc is connected by usb?? this is your problem.
    you cannot use BOTH the usb & ethernet ports together
    you will need to connect the router to the modem & then both 'puters to the router, either by ethernet or wireless

see http://www.ntlworld.ie/help_centre/home_networking.asp for instructions

True - I didn't realise this but was told by a buddy over the phone that I can't connect the two at the same time. So I went and disconnected the USB cable between the modem and PC. Still having all the same problems (it's a Sitecom Router I got in Maplin Electronics) Got onto NTL who said all settings should be picked up automatically (I have it set up this way) When I have all the Basic Settings in place I reboot the router but the Gateway is always unreachable. Is replacing the tcp protocol the way forward then? Not sure how I do it - is there much to it? Any other suggestions, much appreciated....

• Advertisement

Re - installing tcp worked for me anyway...

You do it on the network panel under control panel.
    Click install, the select protocal, deselect tcp which will remove the existing and reinstall it again.

Once i did that my machine picked up the ip again. Whether that worked or it was by chance it picked up an ip again at the same time i dont know!

Also make sure you have your OS disk handy and it may need to be the same service pack version. ie. if you've xp sp2 make sure you've an os disc for xp sp2

Yep, got it working. It was all to do with shutting down and starting up everything in the order described. Cheers for that.

Ive the linksys a week now and its stayed up all week... seems decent enough...

Advertisement