Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

power problem on a golf tdi

Options
  • 06-02-2006 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Can anyone help with this? The turbo on my TDI isn't delivering the power it was a few days ago. It fluctuates now, sometimes it's just about ok and sometimes it's really sluggish. I read a bit about this before-it seemed to be a problem with the Bosch MAF sensors, mine's a Pierburg though. I tried unplugging the MAF sensor and it improved. Does that mean it's simply a matter of cleaning the MAF out?
    Is good VW mechanic who's honest who i could go to (for other stuff aswell) in dublin who won't screw me on labour and parts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

There can be problems with VW TDi engines with the air mass meter. sounds like it could be your problem This controls air intake to the turbo unit. Basically will turn it into a non turbo diesel. Happened to a 02 passat we had a couple of years back. As for price to repair, shop around as VW will rip you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Hi,
    I bought the " hot wire " from GSF just off the Nangor road near An Post, the charged me €80 ish and then I bought the keys for the " security " screws that hold the wire part into the Air Flow Meter body from Halfords and changed the wire in 10 mins on my A4 TDi, worked a treat....also for a stop gap you can remove the AFM body from the air filter housing and spray carb cleaner/brake cleaner or ideally electrical contact cleaner from Maplin to clean it up, it could last 5 mins or 5yrs...worth a go
    I hope this helps you
    regards

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cormob

Thanks, I'll try the contact cleaner before I start buying new parts. So you just replaced the broken parts in your existing MAF sensor rather than buying a whole new unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

u only need a new maf, have a look on uk-mkivs.net for a how to

thanks for the info-good link. seems like the best option IS to just get a new one. Mines probably about 10 years old now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 themfc

Cormob,

Dont assume that it is a MAF problem. It could be one of several issues. Try to find a good independent garage that can hook the car up to a computer (with right software) and tell you what codes are being reported.

I had to replace my MAF and then 6 months later had similar bad performance. Hooked her up and it was not the MAF. Turned out to be a catalytic convertor problem. Hooking up the computer at a local place only cost €30, better than a new/reconditioned MAF for €150-200.

The local I mentioned is in Ardee area, if that is close.

All the best

Well I've cleaned out the MAF so I'll give it a go in the morning. I'll get it checked by computer also- thanks for that tip themfc. I presume Ardee in louth?
    bit far for me to go, reckon I'll find someone in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I think I may be having the same problem on my TDI Caddy van. How does this problem manifest itself.

With my Caddy it seems to happen when I need a bit of a spurt of accelleration to do an overtaking - and its like someone just cut the power all of a sudden at 70mph ish.
    I had dismissed it as some type of internal rev limiter but I never rev the engine that much anyway. Its quite dangerous when overtaking. :eek:

I brought it to my local (useless) VW dealer and they said all it needed was a good service. I gave it a good service and it did no good.

I think the computer check up might be a good idea. It would be too much of course for my local VW dealer to give me such good advice.:rolleyes:

alfasud....that looks like the symptoms of a faulty MAF, they have an in built " get me home " safety overide in the ECU which it uses instead of the measure air flow, unplug the MAF, very easy to do, its the plug connected on the hard plastic body coming out of the air filter box, see if your performance improves, although it will only rev up to 3000rpm, this is safe mode, although the CAT's can be problematic but the MAF would be the 1st port of call as it is very common on these engines.....try cleaning it with a non-residual cleaner first....

Right, my MAF is definitely knackered. I cleaned it out and it worked fine for half a day and now it's gone again. Does anyone know where I can buy a new for a reasonable price. It's a pierburg 074 906 461.

• Advertisement

You could buy it from German, Swedish and French, here's their details...
    GSF Car Parts
    Unit 9 Oak rd Bus pk Nangor rd 12 Dublin (01)4606062

regards...

Advertisement