Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Online Stormreach: Euro Beta

Options
  • 06-02-2006 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

D&D online, a new MMORPG using the full D&D rules is in beta now and you can download the client and play free for 10 days:
    http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/ddo_stormreach/eubeta/

Worth a look, especially if you've played and liked the likes of Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights.

Here's a thread in the MMO forum about it.

Impressions so far:
    - d&d ruleset: fantastic conversion, like NWN except better. I even fought a rust monster :>
    - action combat: you don't just click attack etc etc, you can actually move out of attacks by rolling or block with a shield if you time it right. Makes fights very fun and skillful.
    - excellent dungeons: nice DM voiceovers for certain parts of the dungeons, lots of traps (don't leave the tavern without a thief!), cool quests (I haven't had to collect X kobold spleens once), overall very varied and fun so far
    - XP given to whole group at completion of adventure: you get bonus %s to the base xp for the adventure based on stuff like doing optional subquests, smashing enough crates and barrels (heh), disarming traps, finding secrets, doing it first-time, being under the level of the adventure etc. There's no XP or loot from each monster killed. This means you can go in as a support class, help out the group and get the same XP.
    - group finding system excellent: never had trouble forming a group with the built in group searcher. And frequently did hours of quests with the same group then.
    - plenty difficult: just started to get to some of the level 3 quests, and they are getting very challenging and fun even for a full group. We did a giant spider quest that had a _lot_ of traps and even with a thief along there were a few deaths and people lying on the ground unable to move with 0 str :P We also tried a 'danger' quest that has you defending an outpost against 200 kobolds which was really cool: we eventually died with 41 to go. Challenging = fun for me, and I think it's one of the problems with super-accessible WoW that you can get to 60 and still be terrible at the game/your class.
    some cons:
    - haven't found a good way to trade items to other players as there doesn't seem to be a general chat channel, though swapping stuff within the party worked well. I'm guessing /say in a tavern? Not sure.
    - No pvp that I can see. I'm sure there must be a way to do this .. anyone able to point out the developer's plans for pvp?

Overall I think it's great, very tempted to get it when it comes out. Really found all the questing (right from the beginning) to be excellent fun and engaging - totally blows World of Warcraft out of the water on this.

Anyway if you try it i'm on server Aureon, /tell either Arthur or Vespette.

Advertisement