Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small pet ideas????

Options
  • 06-02-2006 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Im livin in a medium sized appartment now and want to get a pet...i really want a dog but dont no where to start at lookin at wot breeds would suit me etc....does any1 no anything about these puggle cross breeds?how big they get etc?im no 100% about a dog tho so does any1 have any ideas for small pets?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

Gerbil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Muckmagnet

Sandals wrote:
    Gerbil.

.....perfect for a pet and those lonely nights. Dogs are great if you have the time and space . i have a pup and spend half my life cleaning up crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Gerbils can be *very* entertaining, great fun to watch, but are happiest in pairs. (If u dont want babies i suggest 2 females) :)

A lot of hamsters are great fun and enjoy being handled (on their own terms lol) tho a lot are also big-time cranky devils so choose carefully.

(I suggest using a (properly ventilated), aquarium type thing to house them in tho, cages with bars and somwhat dangerous I have found, also both are amazing escape artists when it comes to cages, and it also stops litter from ending up all over the place) :)

Fish would also be an option, reptiles too, but no matter what you get, do your research online FIRST! always best to hear it from real ppl who have an animal rather than most books ;)

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

kimberleyd wrote:
    Im livin in a medium sized appartment now and want to get a pet...i really want a dog but dont no where to start at lookin at wot breeds would suit me etc....does any1 no anything about these puggle cross breeds?how big they get etc?im no 100% about a dog tho so does any1 have any ideas for small pets?
    Thanks

As for Puggles, Labradoodles, Maltipoos etc: they are nothing but ridiculously overpriced, glorified mongrels that are nothing more than fashion statements.
    Do yourself a favour and steer well clear!

(I'm sick of seeing celebrities with these silly designer "breeds".)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

If you get a dog - whether it's a pedigree or a mongrel - you're going to have to bring it for at least one decent walk a day, say 40 minutes. Are you prepared to do this?

In return you get love and devotion, of course.

It's also mean to leave a dog all by itself all day if you're out at work; it's kinder to have two.

Or you could have fish - beautiful, tranquil, colourful, but rather less communicative than a dog. You can even train them:

http://www.fish-school.com/gallery.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

get yourself a pet rock no mess no backchat and just as much company and personality as a fish...

I myself am a certified rock handler and breeder and can source a pedigree breed for e20 delivered comes with certificate of authenticity :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

rats make FAB pets - or gerbils or hamsters or a house bunny or 2 - or ferrets or snakes or lizards or degus or chinchillas - Can you give me some idea of pets you have kept before? price you want to pay & what you are prepard to pay for housing? I currently have over 200 pets & can offer lots of advice but I do need to know more of what you are looking for.

Cats can be FAB dogs are good but these animals usual need to be in pairs if they are to be left alone for long periods of time - how old are you? do you own the flat or do you need a landlords permission? Do you have access to a garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 kimberleyd

Im 18. a student but love animals. Have had rabbits and dogs at home since i was young. My parents own the appartment and animals are allowed by management. Im prepared to pay a good bit...like for housing ect for the pet. not getting it for another while as im goin away but just want ideas...if u can advise me....thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

kimberleyd wrote:
    Im 18. a student but love animals. Have had rabbits and dogs at home since i was young. My parents own the appartment and animals are allowed by management. Im prepared to pay a good bit...like for housing ect for the pet. not getting it for another while as im goin away but just want ideas...if u can advise me....thanks

I'd suggest getting something short-lived like a hamster or gerbil cos if you decide to go travelling or anything in a few year's time, you might not be able to take something like a dog with you. I don't know if I sound like an asshole saying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I agree, at that age things can get hectic and you might want to go off somewhere for a while, I had small rodents at that age and it was easier to ask someone to take care of them than it would of been a cat or dog..as long as the person who you will need to look after them hasn't a rodent phobia. Rats do make great companions, gerbils and hamsters too. Dog can live up to 14 years and beyond and cats over 20 years so you are probably better off with an older animal or a smallie with a shorter life span. Guinea pigs and rabbits can live from 7 to 10 years and need an awful lot of care so might be best to go with something smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Have you considered a leopard gecko?

I've had one for 6 years now, I love him(Yes, nice and rare!) to bits. They aren't as active as say, Bearded Dragons, but they are easy enough to look after, Just a heated mat, hide and some decent sand (bought in a pet shop pretty easily) they also dont mind being handled too much (he will of course run away if he hasn't been handled in a few weeks, but generally he calms down as soon as he recognises who is handling him).
    Feeding isn't expensive either, box of crickets,locusts etc will only set you back about 5e, and can last up to 2 weeks. He also has fat stores in his tail, so if worst comes to worst he is ok to hold off for 2 weeks before getting grub (not that i leave him for that long at any time). A bottle of pellets for gut loading the crickets is about 6e aswell and will do for about 8 - 10 boxes of them.
    Just remember not to grab by the tail.
    Watching him hunt is brilliant fun too. And since he is pretty exotic, anyone who see's him will ask you tonnes of questions about him, great as a conversation piece.

Also you can name him something interesting.
    Mine is called Sars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

doodee - I wanted a reptile til I saw what they eat...couldn't bring myself to handle locusts and mealworms, YUCK.

Kimberly - it's totally unfair to keep a dog in a flat. Where can it run around? Where can it go to the toilet? And i'm sure you're prohibited from keeping pets in your flat anyway, the vast majority of people living in flats/apartments are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would suggest rats they are clean & intelligent - house them in a large wire cage & add as many toys as you like - tubes - tubs with peat in for digging you can even scatter food into this & water it so that they can eat fresh shoots etc. Ferrets can also make nice house pets especially if you get 2 males & neuter them. Or how about a couple of large house bunnies??

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I'd suggest a pair of gerbils or a rabbit or two. Guinea pigs can make great house pets too - they can become really tame & there's nothing like the sound of a happy piggy purring for you.
    Chinchillas are a long term commitment (some live longer than dogs) and ferrets can smell a bit musky so they're not always suitable for an apartment (that's experience speaking!).
    Rats make excellent pets but can't be litter trained like a rabbit or ferret.

Advertisement